Thread: COLT MODEL LE6920 HISTORY ??

Feedback Score

COLT MODEL LE6920 HISTORY ??

Hello Guy's,

As I was looking over an old list of Colt AR-15's for sale, I noted one of the very early, pre-Model 6920's for sale. IIRC, they were introduced by Colt just prior to the infamous 1994 A/R Ban, & were only produced a very short time before the ban took effect. These "pre-ban" models had the serial # prefix BD, & total production amounted to around 134 pieces. ( PLEASE correct if I'm wrong on anything, I'll appreciate it. ) Was this "original" batch of BD prefixed examples originally sold as Colt Model 6920's, or were they listed as something else ? Also, approximately when did Colt start the current production run of LE6920 / "Law Enforcement Carbine" Models, using the LE serial # prefix ? ( From what I can discern, it appears if they've already reached the LE70XXX serial # range. ) If anyone has any historical data regarding the extremely popular Colt LE6920 Model, both myself, & I'm sure many fellow forum members will be interested in hearing about them. I THANK YOU in advance for your reply.

Regards, dpast32

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The ones you speak of before the ban are 6721.

The 6920 didn't come out until about 1999.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So if the 6920 didn't come out until about 1999, when was it available to and purchasable by civilians. If the ban was lifted in 2004 then was it immediately afterwards that civilians started buying them, or was it later on?

Feedback Score

Colt LE6920

Colt would not sell these LE marked guns to the consumer, but did not prohibit dealers from selling them to the consumer. So I bought one back in 2005. I sold that gun almost immediately because the finish was sub-par with grinder marks and all, and I don't regret it. Must have not cared too much about finish if they were going to LE. Of course the consumer or later guns look better, in my experience of 2 more 6920 with the restricted markings/large pin holes and a recent Walmart MOE LE6920 unmarked gun with small holes, which I have been shooting.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicdoc View Post
    Colt would not sell these LE marked guns to the consumer, but did not prohibit dealers from selling them to the consumer. So I bought one back in 2005. I sold that gun almost immediately because the finish was sub-par with grinder marks and all, and I don't regret it. Must have not cared too much about finish if they were going to LE. Of course the consumer or later guns look better, in my experience of 2 more 6920 with the restricted markings/large pin holes and a recent Walmart MOE LE6920 unmarked gun with small holes, which I have been shooting.

Colt has never been known for optimal finishes so not quite sure what you mean by "Of course the consumer or later guns look better". The issue persists to this day, although quality and function remain ideal.