Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: QD RDS mount necessary on a fighting rifle?

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

QD RDS mount necessary on a fighting rifle?

On a rifle used for life support, not just for HD but for duty use, how important do you consider a QD mount for your RDS?
    Taking it as a given that your fighting rifle has BUIS, QD seems to be the only way to remain effective shoud the RDS obscure your BUIS picture, perhaps by lens fracture or fog...

Over thinking it?
    Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrysimons View Post
    On a rifle used for life support, not just for HD but for duty use, how important do you consider a QD mount for your RDS?
    Taking it as a given that your fighting rifle has BUIS, QD seems to be the only way to remain effective shoud the RDS obscure your BUIS picture, perhaps by lens fracture or fog...

Over thinking it?
    Thoughts?
    Not in my opinion.
    If your optic's glass was shattered you would want the quickest way to get it off, to get access to your irons. Especially if you didn't have a sidearm.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

QD RDS mount necessary on a fighting rifle?

I think you answered your own question. Maybe not necessary, but probably preferred, at least from my prospective.
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrysimons View Post

Over thinking it?
    Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I'd say so, based on the reading I have done on here by those who have "been in harms way."

On my "HD" rifle my T1 is on a non-QD mount, however. I will be getting one soon though.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Absolutely yes. I have had optics fog before that made it impossible to use iron sights with.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've never had an optic fog or fail on me in a manner that would make my iron sights useless. That said, I don't plan for things to go well. I plan for the worst and hope for the best…

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Damage, or fogging that obscures the sight picture can occur. Given this fact I believe that a means of quickly removing an RDS is essential on a firearm lives may depend on.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I would definitely say yes. You need to be able to get an optic off in a hurry if it goes down in a manner where you can't see through it.
    Gun and Gear Reviews- www.almosttacticalreviews.com

Feedback Score
    Being budget minded, would the qd vs. cost off same high quality off set buis and ammo/training to learn the reconfiguration of weapon make it more practical?

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    If you have off-set irons, I don't think it's necessary. But the ability to quickly remove the RDS and replace it with a magnified optic (say, for hunting) with no or very little shift in zero, has always been a benefit to me, in my experience.

If you do not have off-set irons, I would not run it without a QD mount.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast