Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Put down the Dremel!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Maybe this guy could use his Dremel to cut another ejection port in the left side of the upper. Assemble the bolt with the extractor on the left side. Viola! A left hand AR!

Or, there is the Iron Law of Dremel: There is no problem that cannot be made worse by a Dremel tool.
    Last edited by Suwannee Tim; 08-08-13 at 15:04.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robb Jensen View Post
    Guns aren't for everyone, some people should own pepper spray instead.
    Or rape whistles. At least they can't shoot themselves in the face with it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I swear, firearms seem to attract stupid people. I've started working Saturdays again at the LGS where I've been on and off for the last 10 years part-time. The first couple weeks have been most entertaining. The shop has an attached indoor range, so we get to see lots of things "straight from the scene of the crime" so to speak.

2 wks ago:
    Customer is buying a bunch of ammo and has a couple 12-14 yr old boys with him. Says they're going out to the farm to do some shooting. The guy asks me for a box of 30-30, okay, no problem. Then he says, "Actually, the gun is a Winchester .32 Special, but I've been firing 30-30 in it for the last 25 years." I advise him that's probably a bad idea and he should purchase ammo designed to be fired in the weapon. I then head down to the other end of the counter to grab some 9mm he also wanted and while I'm away he tells another employee, "That jackass doesn't know what he's talking about. I've been shooting this gun like this for 25 years." The other employee informs him that I'm correct.

Last week:
    Customer comes in with a Taurus Judge and wants some .410 ammo to go on the range with. We ask him if he has 2.5" or 3" cylinder. He says he's pretty sure it's 3". We ask to see the gun to verify. He informs us that he knows what kind of gun he has and to give him the 3" shells...ok. 5 minutes later he comes out of the range complaining that the shells we gave him "broke his gun" and now the cylinder won't move.

Yep, 3" shell fired from 2.5" chamber = end of spent cartridge melted to inside of bore...

I can't wait see the first AR cluster!
    I'm pretty sure you can safely shoot a 30-30 cartridge in a 32 Winchester Special though I expect a .308 bullet is not very accurate shot from a .321 bore. But, if you don't care about accuracy it would go bang and not blow up. I would be interested in seeing his groups. Patterns. Whatever he was getting.

I was in the gun shop years ago and some dude came in and wanted the "fastest powder made" to do some reloading. Steve naturally sold him a can of Bullseye. As he was leaving he said something about using it to reload 30-06. I tried to stop him and make him listen to reason but he just left. I used to think of him often and wonder what happened.

For those who do not reload, the bigger the cartridge the slower the powder it uses, a paradox. Bullseye is all but guaranteed to blow up any rifle.

Feedback Score

Re: Put down the Dremel!

Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    Or rape whistles. At least they can't shoot themselves in the face with it.
    I make a line of Tactical Rape Whistles that NVG's and most Mil Spec items can be mounted to. All Rape Whistles are Mil-Spec and battle tested in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    Maybe this guy could use his Dremel to cut another ejection port in the left side of the upper. Assemble the bolt with the extractor on the left side. Viola! A left hand AR!
    That right there is "Phase Two"!

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban_Redneck View Post
    Contrary to common thought the $9.95 electric pencil does have a legitimate gunsmithing use.
    For example, inscribing the word "BAD" on the parts that you've just ruined with the Dremel ...

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score
    even i wouldn't give that a try...

words to live by for the hobbyist gunsmith:
    “All parts should go together without forcing.You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you.Therefore, if you can’t get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.” - IBM manual,1925

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlyatoms View Post
    All Rape Whistles are Mil-Spec and battle tested in Iraq and Afghanistan.
    Easy does it. Lets not give the idiots in the Pentagon any ideas. Next thing I know, we'll need to attach a rape whistle to our pt belts

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by High Tower View Post
    Easy does it. Lets not give the idiots in the Pentagon any ideas. Next thing I know, we'll need to attach a rape whistle to our pt belts
    Now thats funny right there I dont care who you are...

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    I think what a lot of us missed or misread the OP. he was trying to stick it through the wrong side, he wasn't inserting it through the wrong side or putting the bolt in the carrier the wrong way. He was just upset that: When he has the bolt OUT of the carrier, the pin wouldn't pass ALL the way through. I guess he though it should fit flush, even though that gap is for the carrier, as well as the insert only one direction to idiot proof installation.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast