Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Put down the Dremel!

Feedback Score

Re: Put down the Dremel!

"God has a hard @n for Marines, because we dremel everything we see"-Gunnery Sergeant Hartman
    What makes the grass grow? Cut off wheel grit
    Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I feel your pain Grant. Most issues I have repaired on firearms over the years were induced by the owner or a "knowledgable" friend.

If I owned a firearm parts distributorship, I would sell Dremels at cost. It would help me greatly increase my parts sales.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    My head is hurting reading this! I so want to tell Mr. Dremel and Mr fire 300BLK out of a 5.56x45mm chamber that they are MORONS and deserve what they got!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Gunsmithing requires an intimate understanding of the technical engineering of the inner workings of the trigger, hammer or striker, the receiver, bolt and barrel to produce a finely tuned firearm that is accurate and reliable and points naturally for the shooter. A good gunsmith must be skilled at working with steel and wood to satisfy the traditional customers and also aluminum, titanium, stainless steel and composites for those wanting a modern arm.

There are certain basic tools every aspiring gunsmith needs to have. Some are general in nature, others specialized for certain necessary work. I interviewed a highly respected gunsmith who works out of his beautiful southern home. He likes it because it keeps his daily commute short

A gunsmith should have a set of screwdrivers, specially ground to fit each screw to be removed or tightened without damaging the slots. Here are a few of Joe Bubba's favorites

Even with the best of today's technology, sometimes a part needs a little hand-fitting to work. Here, Joe Bubba demonstrates the proper technique for fitting a trigger sear

With today's ARs, it's a simple matter to bolt a set of sights to a rail. Sometimes, a customer needs new sights on a custom bolt action rifle, or a pistol being tuned for concealed carry requiring a front sight to be brazed. A small torch is needed for this kind of delicate work

Modern pistols have dovetail slots cut for sights. Removing the old sights and installing the new can be a frustrating experience without the right tool which can be ordered from a gunsmithing tool supply like Brownell's. But a true gunsmith can make his own which often works better and saves a lot of dough. Here is Joe Bubba using a dovetail press of his own design to install nightsights on a Glock

As you can see, there is no reason for a hack to resort to a Dremel. Invest in the right tools for the job knowing there is no greater satisfaction than a job well done!
    Last edited by MistWolf; 08-09-13 at 22:45.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've put a dremel to good use a time or two,just like anything it requires one to think before you start into a project.

One example I had an old Mosin with a busted magazine spring,while I searched for a replacement I sat down and though "hmm wonder if I can fix this?"

I got the dremel out,an old SKS stripper clip and went to work~a few hours of cutting and fitting I had a spring made that work *fairly* well,not 100% but enough to assert the gun worked okay besides the dead spring,and sure as hell enough to work in a battle!

A lack of understanding of how things work shows you have bigger problems and keeping shit away from you isn't gonna help one damn bit.
    "That which is dead can eternal lie,and with strange aeons even death may die"~Lovecraft

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by midSCarolina View Post
    I dremel'd some vent holes in my ejection port cover the other day. I thought it turned out well... it helps cool the bolt even with the door closed.

But seriously... i did have to dremel the edge of the ejection port cover VERY slightly because it was getting caught up on the receiver . They are noveske marked but i honestly don't know where they are sourced from. I should have known better than to buy some fancy e.p cover so hitting it with the dremel made me feel a little less uppity anyways

OMG!!! I looked at the photo before I put on my reading glasses and thought, "WTF! The dude Dremeled out this huge hole just behind the ejection port cover. At least he did a good job of touching up with Aluma-Black!"

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I always say in class-- "I'm in favor of a 15-day waiting period-- for purchasing a Dremel".

I've seen at least two guns where Bubba ground out the stakes from the bottom side of the bolt's cam pin hole. And one where he ground off that stupid dag-gone fat part at the end of the gas tube.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlyatoms View Post
    I make a line of Tactical Rape Whistles that NVG's and most Mil Spec items can be mounted to. All Rape Whistles are Mil-Spec and battle tested in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2
    HP MPI?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    HP MPI?
    And most important: chrome lined!
    Montrala

I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Kahles, Hornady and Typhoon Defence brands in Poland, so I can be biased

http://montrala.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    There is a time and place for the Dremel. Knowing when and how is key. Most people who do poor work with the Dremel probably don't even own appropriate files or know how to use them.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast