Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Magpul MOE handguard

Feedback Score

Magpul MOE handguard

Following the advice of members here I purchased a Magpul MOE handguard for my first AR(BCM midlength).

Well it arrived and I'm attempting to install it, but I think I'm doing it wrong. Yeah my newb-ness is shining bright. My issue is that the delta ring is not only crooked(left side is closer than the right, looking from top down) but about 1/8th of an inch away from the rear shoulder of the handguard. I think I'm fully depressing the ring, but obviously I have no clue what I'm doing. What am I doing wrong? Would a delta ring tool fix this? I was about to ask about 15 more questions but I'll wait for some replies.

Sorry if this was asked before but doing a search involved "magpul" "moe" and "handguard" yields lots of not helpful posts about how great they are. (leave it up to the FNG to have a problem)

Feedback Score
    Try YouTube...not being a smartass I'm sure there is a video and you will see what your doing wrong.
    Ambitious but rubbish

Feedback Score
    I've looked at many videos which is why I'm sure something isn't right. Mine doesn't seem to be "snapping" into place. Also I noticed there is some plastic shearing on the nubs that index on the barrel nut. Does this mean one of the two are out of spec?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You have a tight delta ring, try having someone help you, it will make it easier.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Stick has it right, get a friend! No reason to buy a tool if you already know one and all it typically costs is a cold one.........
    http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQ2zEv1ukzyH_aeFG6-amwPk7CUBz7b4URcTQ8lFFl-LOLSDkQ

"BRD, much like the Wutang clan, is nothing to f@ck with"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    You have a tight delta ring, try having someone help you, it will make it easier.
    I will get ahold of a friend that has AR tools, he said it should drop right it.

It seems the problem is with the barrel nut "grooves" lining up with the nubs. I don't know the technical terms but it just seems that the plastic isnt fitting into the barrel nut as it should.

I've been google-ing the hell out of this topic and only found 1 related thread on the XD forum, in which they all agreed it shouldn't seat against the shoulder contrary to every other pic or vid I've found. *correction someone suggested the same as you guys have.

I'll see what four hands can do later today(it's tomorrow...I should be asleep anyways).

Thanks for the replies.
    Last edited by spartakis252; 09-07-12 at 00:38. Reason: *Correction

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yupe, YouTube is your friend. Don't even need the special tool if you got some locking pliers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoHJ3ziovww
    Last edited by TYPEII; 09-07-12 at 00:35.

Feedback Score
    Don't try to push the whole slip ring down but instead try tilting the slip ring down on the side (top or bottom) you are trying to fit the handguard in to.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    All I can say is: I had the help of my wife. I pulled the ring down and she removed the stock hand guards. Then she put the MOE hand guard in one half at the time. It all went together fine and fit much tighter with much less movement than the stock hand guards.

I could not do it by myself.
    Freedom isn't free! I thank every brave soldier who has paid some for me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by krypto View Post
    All I can say is: I had the help of my wife. I pulled the ring down and she removed the stock hand guards. Then she put the MOE hand guard in one half at the time. It all went together fine and fit much tighter with much less movement than the stock hand guards.

I could not do it by myself.
    Sounds like a good woman. Hold onto her.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast