Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Colt QC problems.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Maybe this is a test by your customer to find out just what kind of shop he's dealing with. There could be more...

But seriously, there's going to be a rabid QC employee over at Colt who's day was made by your email. Tracing issues down the line to the source for a supply chain/quality control type manager is an opportunity to give recommendations of improvement to prove their worth. Such an OC field of work.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rljatl View Post
    Colt or any manufacturer can and do make mistakes, but just remember that the owner could have been futzing around with it before he brought it to you to be dipped and painted.
    The box was still sealed so I doubt that, but you never know.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    The box was still sealed so I doubt that, but you never know.
    You really cannot seal a Colt box. It is pretty easy to pull back the tape and then put it back (I do it all the time when I am adding something to a gun for a customer). So the customer might have screwed up the gun and then blamed it on the manufacturer (seen that movie before).

Or Colt's QC's dropped the ball.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 08-08-13 at 14:34.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    You really cannot seal a Colt box. It is pretty easy to pull back the tape and then put it back (I do it all the time when I am adding something to a gun for a customer). So the customer might have screwed up the gun and then blamed it on the manufacturer (seen that movie before).

Or Colt's QC's dropped the ball.

C4
    I guess I just like to cut things.

The reason i'm assuming it was not the customer is that the rifle was purchased hours before, and the inner box has no crease marks from opening.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I wanted to add this here. I recently went to academy to score some PMAG's. whilst at the gun counter I noticed they had a DDM4 V2 and a 6920. i have my DDM4 so i asked the guy if he could show me the 6920. well i know these are new (but test-fired) guns, but I noticed brass marks on the deflector and a nice scratch by the selector. my first thought was "wow, they didn't even bother to polish it up" I guess Colt has just been to busy to pay close attention these days? other then that it was a solid piece. Everything felt right except for the scratch but all was good.
    Last edited by SilverBullet432; 08-18-13 at 19:41.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet432 View Post
    I wanted to add this here. I recently went to academy to score some PMAG's. whilst at the gun counter I noticed they had a DDM4 V2 and a 6920. i have my DDM4 so i asked the guy if he could show me the 6920. well i know these are new (but test-fired) guns, but I noticed brass marks on the deflector and a nice scratch by the selector. my first thought was "wow, they didn't even bother to polish it up" I guess Colt has just been to busy to pay close attention these days? other then that it was a solid piece. Everything felt right except for the scratch but all was good.

Colt ONLY knows how to build guns for .mil contracts. The "pretty" commercial market is somewhat foreign to them.

For some consumers, it is a big deal. For others, not so much.

C4

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I've seen a 6920 that the anodizing on the upper receiver was all cracked and had started peeling. Moral is, shit happens to the best of em' sometimes. Joe DiMaggio had a few bad games from time to time.
    Not sure about you guys, but I'm only here for the free food and open bar.

Certified Smith & Wesson M&P Armorer
    Certified Glock Armorer

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet432 View Post
    Personally, I was happy as a pig in deep doo-doo that Colt and BCM test fired my carbines before sending them out. Both of them came with carbon on the inside from test-firing. Both had some marks on the brass deflector. Shows they put it in the right spot, I guess.

If you went to the Ford or Chevy dealer to buy a pickup, would you want them to drive the vehicle a couple of miles at the factory? Or at least start it a few times? I would, just in case someone had a bad day at the plant.

I think, but am not sure, that S&W test-fires their M&P pistols prior to shipping them out the door. If so, I'm glad they do.

When you think about it, test firing a magazine through a carbine is a pretty good final QC check. Which is why the smart kids all do that at the plant.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Personally, I was happy as a pig in deep doo-doo that Colt and BCM test fired my carbines before sending them out. Both of them came with carbon on the inside from test-firing. Both had some marks on the brass deflector. Shows they put it in the right spot, I guess.

If you went to the Ford or Chevy dealer to buy a pickup, would you want them to drive the vehicle a couple of miles at the factory? Or at least start it a few times? I would, just in case someone had a bad day at the plant.

I think, but am not sure, that S&W test-fires their M&P pistols prior to shipping them out the door. If so, I'm glad they do.

When you think about it, test firing a magazine through a carbine is a pretty good final QC check. Which is why the smart kids all do that at the plant.
    I agree. Putting rounds through a new made carbine should be the test that tells the tale. Speaking of cars, I once toured an auto plant. They had drivers that took the finished products throught a 2 or 3mile course. They just didn't drive, but had check lists that each vehicle had to pass to make it to the shipping area. They also had a "lab" where a vehicle at random was taken and them ripped apart piece by piece to check for welds and build quality. They should do the same with carbines.

Feedback Score
    When I pulled my BCM BCG from the package and saw the brass flecks on the bolt face it gave me a warm fuzzy feeling inside

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast