Thread: Sling choice and barrel length

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Sling choice and barrel length

I am pretty much convinced that the adjustable two point sling is the best choice for the majority of AR users. I've tried out the VTAC, Vickers and Gear Sector, and after a colleague reported that he shoved the 'tail' of his VTAC up a magwell during a speed reload, I was sold on the Vickers system. I like the muzzle control offered by the two point, and the ability to add tension to support a firing stance. For anyone who is carrying a rifle on dismounted patrols for hours at a time, the two point is really the way to go.

That said, I've recently been experimenting with a Gear Sector single point sling, but only in combination with a 10.5" upper. I've found that the shorter barrel length mitigates some of the single point's weakness in controlling the muzzle and flopping around. Also, the single point's few advantages - namely clean lines that prevent snagging when wearing much equipment, moving in tight confines and fast transitions - seem to complement the missions of the shorter ARs (CQB, vehicle operations) nicely.

I find it interesting that the majority of M4s I've seen use a two point sling, but the Mk18 uses the Dieter CQD system (which can be used as a one point or two point, though I've seen the two point configuration more often).

Does this mesh with anyone else's experience? I think the two point is the way to go for 14.5" and longer barrels, but the single point might have a niche with the shorter ARs.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Agree.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    I agree as well. I have also found that a single point sling is the most effective to use with a rifle/shotgun with a side-folding buttstock. Helps avoid awkwardness and entanglement of the buttstock with the sling.
    "There's no such thing as a good gun. There's no such thing as a bad gun. A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys." - Charlton Heston

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Agree.
    Yep. I run Gear Sector single-point slings with my SBRs (12.5" AK-105 and 9.5" 9mm AR, and soon enough a 10.5" 5.56 AR), and VTACs with everything else.