Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Skid Plate

Feedback Score

Skid Plate

Has anyone tried this and if so what is your opinion of it?
    http://www.triadtactical.com/Sniper-Skid-Plate.html

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'd place the forearm of my rifle on something soft rather than strapping another doodad to it...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Lord knows I'm not no high speed guy but....wouldn't one of those big rectangle handguard rail covers do about the same thing?
    "That which is dead can eternal lie,and with strange aeons even death may die"~Lovecraft

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KUSA View Post
    Has anyone tried this and if so what is your opinion of it?
    http://www.triadtactical.com/Sniper-Skid-Plate.html
    OP, what is your perceived use and need for such a product?

Feedback Score
    Seems more practical than some of the crap I see hanging off of rifles.

If you have had to move and shoot from cover, the potential practicality of this is obvious. It could have its place for a DM.

Edit: I haven't strapped one on and used it. It may not work for crap or it may be just the ticket.
    Last edited by Chorizo; 08-11-13 at 08:58.
    USMC, 21 years and 21 days. But who was counting?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    I'd place the forearm of my rifle on something soft rather than strapping another doodad to it...
    I thought the same thing at first but apparently the material its made of allows you to manage the recoil off of barricades. Per the website it states.
    1-What does it do?..
    .It allows you to shoot off a barricade accurately, and negates the recoil physics of the rifle recoil. If you do not use an intermediate soft material, such as a bean bag, a jacket, it causes a reaction where the rifle will "Jump" on recoil and will severely impede your ability to take a follow up shot.

I know that a lot of products are simply an answer for a nonexistent problem so I wanted get some feedback from anyone that has tried it.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    550 cord over the top of the hand guard? Probably not a good idea...

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Neat idea but I see lot of ways to improve this light use piece to more heavy duty longevity.

The velcro won't stand up to heavy duty use. Period. When it comes to products in the field they have to be attached using a fasterner system of sort. Be it snaps, straps, tie downs, but not velcro.

Doubt the cord will last long either after the barrel heat cycles enough.

The use of fabric thread is dead giveaway this isn't for heavy duty use. Sewing on a standard fabric sewing machine with light duty thread, small needles and many stitches per inch indicates this won't be long lasting for heavy duty field work. The stitching is a weak point. You pull one snag and the entire line unravels.

Also the way the pad is laced is weak. The cording should go through an eyelet in the pad itself, not another cord that is stitched on. It'd be ripped off in no time, especially after heat cycling. Again, all it takes is the thread snagging and unraveling and there goes attachment.

Anyway, there are a few ways to improve that for heavier duty use. Obviously the maker came up with an item to serve a purpose - pad the stock from getting scratched up when using a rest in the field.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    We routinely shoot from 100 yards with our rails on barricades at steel with no issues. As long as your not placing your barrel on the barricade you should be good to go. Unless your shooting something else, recoil mitigation on the 556 platform is minimal, and resting the rail on the barricade allows for faster follow up shots (only surpassed by prone). It's not a lot of dough and if your curious, jump on it and hit us up win a range report. Good luck.

Feedback Score
    Can you say HEAT SINK??? To be a honest it is a fix looking for a problem. YMMV..........?
    When seconds count, the Police are just minutes away!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast