Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Skid Plate

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556BlackRifle View Post
    Covers up the vent holes on your handguard and adds more weight to your kit. Not for me but YMMV....
    The weight is negligible and it covers up no more surface area than standard rail covers do on the heat dissipation front. I've got one on a NSR and have been using it for over a year now because I couldn't stand the NSR covers at the time as far as durability, feel, and heat protection go. It has a slightly gritty feel that gives nice traction and if you're using it on a hunting rifle it allows you to be absolutely silent when moving the rifle over a barrier/tree stand tracking a target. Not to mention it's wrapped around the handguard as close as possible without any noticeable addition to diameter.

The combination of the velcro strips on each end running the length of the cover and the cord strung up in between the 1913 sections makes it unmovable when it's installed.

The reactions to it in person are funny though. I've had guys at the range scoff at it numerous times and even got a "how tacticool of you." For a piece of material wrapped around a handguard and strung up with some cord it really rustles some jimmies. But for what it costs and how it performs compared to other tubular handguard cover options I couldn't care less about how people perceive it. It works and it works well.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    I considered trying one of these out as a rail cover of sorts for my Geissele MK2 since there aren't really many options on that front. The fact that it looks huge in the picture turned me off and the more I've shot with that rail, the less I feel the need for covers on it. If I remember correctly, however, ScatmanCrothers posted a picture or two of his where it looked a lot more viable as a rail cover than it does in the advertising.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Mmmm... nah. I'm not really sold on the idea.
    "We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TF82 View Post
    I considered trying one of these out as a rail cover of sorts for my Geissele MK2 since there aren't really many options on that front. The fact that it looks huge in the picture turned me off and the more I've shot with that rail, the less I feel the need for covers on it. If I remember correctly, however, ScatmanCrothers posted a picture or two of his where it looked a lot more viable as a rail cover than it does in the advertising.
    Their advertising for AR type rifles is definitely terrible. Not sure why they chose a quadrail and standard M4 handguards covered with their large size skid plate. They're a much more viable option on tubular rails using the small size pad.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123