Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which gas block...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Which gas block...

A buddy of mine wants to remove the front sight from his AR...its in the way of his red dot.

Its a standard M4 type AR...not a name brand, it was built by some folks in Greenville, TN...I forget their name...but it runs fine.

I'm not sure what will work with those handguards (the round ones), it looks like the gas block helps secure the handguards...but I might be wrong.

If you guys know what would work for this, I'd appreciate the info...doesn't have to be anything fancy, just a gas block that won't interfere with the red dot (and without raising the red dot.
    Last edited by Ridgerunner665; 08-10-13 at 17:21.

Feedback Score
    What optic and mount is he running?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Re: Which gas block...

I don't know exactly, I saw it today but didn't look at it close enough...its mounted on the rail (carry handle removed)

I'll see if he can send me a pic...
    Last edited by Ridgerunner665; 08-10-13 at 17:23.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Seems like the easiest solution would be to get a taller mount for his RDS so it co-witnesses in the lower 1/3. If he just can't get by having the FSB in his RDS field (it's a training issue) then likely next best choice would be to shave down the FSB.

Feedback Score
    Ya but is it absolute co-witness? Or is it a generic optic without a proper mount and is sitting lower than absolute co-witness? I ask because if it is either of the two, especially the latter, he could try a lower 1/3 co-witness mount to clear the FSB some before attempting to replace it. That plus the fact that he wont have a place to mount a front sight if he does.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

He don't even know what co-witness means, lol...just doesn't want the sight in his FOV.

He also doesn't want to ruin the FSB, in case he decides to sell or trade the rifle later.

I'm pretty sure I can get the FSB off and a new block on there...I'm just not exactly sure what will do what he wants without changing the handguard.

He doesn't want sights, just the RDS.
    Last edited by Ridgerunner665; 08-10-13 at 17:43.

Feedback Score
    Replacing the FSB with gasblock isnt rocket science. It's easy. The issue is the durability thereafter considering the gasblock is exposed and only held in place by set screws.
    Also, and I'm not trying to be a dick here but it appears neither of you have a real understanding of ARs. If you did, you would know that the handguard is held in place by the delta ring and handguard cap which in turn is held against the barrel's shoulder by the FSB. You can keep the config and use the gasblock to hold it in place but that brings you back to the first issue of durability. Second issue here is the generic optic and his not wanting of back up sights. What if it fails?
    Last edited by Col_Crocs; 08-10-13 at 18:14.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I never claimed to be an expert, I have had an AR completely apart and put it back together...and it still worked...but that was 3-4 years ago and I couldn't remember exactly how all that stuff was held in place...the one I had apart was a S&W.

Backup sights...I get it, and mine will have them...but this is his, and it is just a plinker...nothing more.

Mine is a Sig 516 and will be configured for fighting...light, BUIS, undecided on which optic, etc...but that is another topic.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

And I knew the delta ring held the guard at the rear...I also knew the cap held the front...what I didn't know (couldn't remember) is what held the cap.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

My first thought for the easy fix was a freefloat tube and a low profile gas block...but he didn't seem to want to change the handguard (on a budget)...

Not to mention...a freefloat tube on an M4 barrel profile, lol...might look a little weird.
    Last edited by Ridgerunner665; 08-10-13 at 18:36.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast