Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Military Ammo Can Questions

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I'm sure that you know this already, but military ammo also comes packed in cardboard boxes and bandoliers. The only time I can see there being an issue is when you are using cans that won't seal correctly, or moisture was introduced.

Quote Originally Posted by RearwardAssist View Post
    Also be careful with the ammo inside of factory boxes the cardboard will soak up and hold moisture can cause corrosion. A guy on my local board did a write up on his factory boxed ammo being put in a can with dessicant and showed the corrosion when it went bad. I used to line the walls and top and bottom of mine with card board and took it out after reading that write up and seeing the pictures.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I suggest that this is being over-thought a bit.. Buy a good can, add ammo, forget about it.. You probably won't live long enough to see a problem with it.. IMO..
    Ain't no pockets on a shroud..

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
    I suggest that this is being over-thought a bit.. Buy a good can, add ammo, forget about it.. You probably won't live long enough to see a problem with it.. IMO..
    Agree.... I've left old ammo cans full of ammo in my attic for years. No problem at all. It all goes bang.

Vaseline and rubber gaskets = no no. No petroleum on rubber.

Go to the plumbing aisle in Lowes or HD and buy a container of faucet grease.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Re: Military Ammo Can Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
    Generally I'd agree, however it really depends how they are being used. People who live in dry, arid areas & are using them for long term storage, really have nothing to worry about. Those of us who live in humid climates or experience extreme temperature differences, have a little more to worry about. If I take a can of ammo to the range & it's 25F outside, shoot for an hour & pack up. When I get home & open the can back up, remove my spent cases or do whatever. The last thing you want to do is close it back up right away. The dew point inside your house may be 50F, for example. Anything below that temp will condense moisture on its surface. You now just trapped it inside. It's best to allow the contents to acclimate back to ambient temperature before sealing it back up. That example is somewhat of an extreme. The main thing to remember is that anytime warmer air contacts a surface that is colder than the air's dew point, moisture will condense on the surface.
    In a nutshell, if it's initially packed in a cool, dry climate & it remains sealed, you should have no worries. If the cans are opened & exposed to temp and/or RH% differences, it's best to pack a desicant packet inside and maybe check on it occasionally.

Sent via Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ryno12; 08-12-13 at 19:21.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    For reconditioning rubber seals, I've used glycerin. I've used it for servicing vcrs, recorders and turntable belts in the way back. I would think that would work on ammo cans too.

Feedback Score
    To help recondition the rubber gasket I use silicone grease. I too worry about leaving ammo in cardboard boxes - the cardboard is a porous item and could pull and hold moisture, but also most commercial ammo boxes are made with acidic paper and inks, all of which could cause damage over time. Therefore, I place ammo, guns, knives, anything with metal in Zcorr ammo storage bags. I place these bags in the ammo can. Seal the can and leave it closed until you need it. Don't store in a hot environment or one with wide temperature swings.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Again the ammo and it's package will probably outlive it's human owner.

The date of that ammo is probably 19(before you were born) for most here.
    Last edited by tb-av; 10-25-13 at 10:19.

Feedback Score
    I agree with no petroleum based grease on rubber seals. It's degrades them over time. You can get a small tube of silicone based grease at any place that sells pool supplies. They use a silicone lubricant on the rubber gaskets and seals of pool pumps. Keeps the water out water but will not harm the rubber gaskets over time.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thumbs up

Glad this thread got started, recently I noticed some of the M2A1s I have the seals are starting to turn white. I wanted to lube them with something but have always heard petrol based lubes are a no go on rubber.

So silicon grease it is . . .
    Last edited by Moose-Knuckle; 09-03-13 at 15:33. Reason: Drunk typing . . .
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    silicon grease is the best.. scuba drivers and others use it on the o-rings in the valves and regulators, used on o-rings on most if not all tactical lights.
    good stuff to keep around.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast