Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First time firing my Colt

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Shoot 1500 rounds and your trigger will smooth itself out. While that gets you familiar with the carbine- a good thing to be sure- that's a $750 trigger job!

The best thing to do is remove the fire control group from the lower, clean & degrease it thoroughly and lube the sears, pivot points and the bottom curve of the hammer and reinstall it. Don't stone anything because the parts are case hardened and sometimes rather thinly. Go just a hair too deep and cut through the case hardening to expose the softer metal, you'll start having doubles, triples and other FCG problems before you can say "What the-?" Lubing the parts will eliminate nearly all the grittiness in the take up and the trigger break will be very predictable. It's the best and cheapest trigger job you can do to your AR.

Here's a link that will show you how to reinstall the FCG. It's a Geissele trigger but the standard AR installs the same way
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=72111
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Good luck only upgrading the sights haha... Every AR I've owned, I probably reached the "Ok that's it, I'm done spending money on this thing" stage about a dozen times haha

Feedback Score

Front Sight Post = 6 MOA?

I've been trying to nail that little factoid down for a while. Are you sure that's right?

Quote Originally Posted by sinlessorrow View Post
    Good shooting. If I remember correctly the front post on the AR-15 is actually a 6MOA post.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CatBacker88 View Post
    I've been trying to nail that little factoid down for a while. Are you sure that's right?
    That sounds about right... But you should be floating the target at that range. This ain't a pistol at pistol ranges! If you cover the target with a 6 moa post at 300 you are looking at covering 18" of the target. Look hard at the target and less at the sight. GH

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Look hard at the target and less at the sight. GH

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you want to check the accuracy potential of your new carbine, I suggest raising the elevation 3 clicks and shooting 6 o'clock hold on a SR-1 target. I like to use a Line Of White Hold. You can find the repair center on PDF format by searching the internet.

Your focus should be on the front sight. The rear sight and target will appear to be a little out of focus, but this is normal. When your shot breaks, hold the trigger to the rear and stay focused on the front sight until you have recovered from recoil and you have a perfect sight picture. Then count to three before releasing the trigger and moving your focus away from the front sight.

My advice is for precision shooting, not combat shooting. This will give you a good idea of how well your rifle can shoot. When you leave the range, set the elevation to where you want it for holding POA = POI at 100 yards.
    Last edited by T2C; 08-13-13 at 08:59.

Feedback Score
    I wouldn't call approximately 6 MOA that good. A nicer trigger or a scope will help, but if you're getting that kind of grouping with bags or some kind of support, bipod/tripod then your barrel is a bit out of spec. Hopefully the next range trip will show some improvement since I'd hate to have a carbine perform worse than 2.5 MOA at the bench.
    ˇˇKawaii Desu Ne Haruhi-Chan!!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Without knowing the ammo, the shooter's experience, etc. it's pretty tough to condemn the rifle. As I age my eyesight has caused my groups with irons to slip considerably. I evaluate my rifles by mounting scopes on them. I evaluate myself using irons.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    That sounds about right... But you should be floating the target at that range. This ain't a pistol at pistol ranges! If you cover the target with a 6 moa post at 300 you are looking at covering 18" of the target. Look hard at the target and less at the sight. GH
    I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. With proper sight picture, one focuses on the front sight post.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Without knowing the ammo, the shooter's experience, etc. it's pretty tough to condemn the rifle. As I age my eyesight has caused my groups with irons to slip considerably. I evaluate my rifles by mounting scopes on them. I evaluate myself using irons.
    Yeah, it would be nice if we were given more details on the way this rifle was sighted in. I assume he was using at least a table for support but it's hard to say what's going on with such sparse details.
    Last edited by Tzintzuntzan; 08-13-13 at 12:54.
    ˇˇKawaii Desu Ne Haruhi-Chan!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast