Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: First 1911 recommendations

Feedback Score
    I went with the "buy once, cry once" method on my 1st, and only, 1911. Got an Ed Brown Special Forces Carry. Love it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A Dan Wesson Valor and a Gunsight Academy trip are the ticket.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    It'll be here next week, will be sure to update the photo threat.
    I'll be looking for it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Warning: LONG POST FUELED BY FOND SENTIMENTS

I've only owned three 1911s in my lifetime, but one was from age seven, the other was gifted to me at 14, and I picked my last one up as an adult. In order of ownership time: blued Colt Series 70 Gold Cup National Match, stainless Colt Series 80 Gold Cup National Match racegun (with an ungodly amount of work put into it - I remember it shooting like a .22lr), and most recently, a Nitron Sig RCS Sports-13 (officer frame, commander slide, alloy frame).

I shot IPSC open against adults starting at around age 12 (mostly police, an FBI agent, and plenty of other yahoos who I never recognized), won first in many shoots (that's why my dad bought me the tricked out Series 80), and I've never had trouble with any of them save for one stovepipe in my series 70 more than 20 years ago.

My series 70 now lives with my dad (thanks for buying me the coolest gift a Dad has probably ever bought his seven year old son), the 80 lives with my brother, and I carry my RCS in a Garrett Industries AIWB holster.

I can't even begin to ponder the round counts on the Colts, but I've dropped about 1100 rounds through my RCS without a hickup.

I wouldn't hesitate recommending a good Sig 1911. If you do have a problem, they have the absolute best customer service I have EVER dealt with from a firearms mfg (I'm talking less than a week turnaround time from the time the gun was sent to them - no questions asked, and it game back with an amazing trigger job - like they wanted to make it up to me for sending out a lemon).

That being said, my next will either be one of the new Colt 70s, or if I let my heart control my brain - a Dan Wesson Valor would be awesome. I'm not going to lie, MIM parts do make me nervous. Before MIM, it just seemed to me like guns didn't break. In the 80s, it seemed like a simple procedure - walk into gunstore, look at gun, buy it, shoot it, clean it, put it away until you're ready to shoot again. I don't recall my dad and I ever having to replace anything other than recoil springs.

OK.. story over...

I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a new Sig, but if you can swing the $$$, a Dan Wesson Valor is an amazing 1911.
    Last edited by Shao; 10-02-15 at 07:24.

Feedback Score
    I agree.

If you are not going to plunk down 3 grand plus on a Wilson or other higher end 1911...the Colts or a Dan Wesson Valor are probably your best bets.

That stainless Series 70 Govt that Colt makes right now is dead sexy...I really want one!

Feedback Score
    Just stumbled on this thread. It is relevant to me and my experience matches some of the advice given.

Im new to handgun ownership but not guns. I just got permission from the state to buy a handgun. I really like 1911's and want to shoot bullseye at the club. I also just like finely machined guns or anything mechanical. I decided to go strong out of the gate. Im old enough to know you don't normally save anything buying cheap first to turn around and pay more later for better. So i ordered a dan wesson Valor SS. Plus a new CZ 1911A1 classic cause, i like classics too. I cant wait for them to ship to my FFL. I am already reloading 45ACP while i wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I wanted a 1911 for a long time, shot several, and did a ton of research. I wound up grabbing a Springfield Loaded Operator with an OD frame. I love it. Favorite handgun I've ever had. Smooth shooter, super accurate, great trigger, and great options and ergonomics. My advice is to try as many as you can, and when you know, you know.

Unfortunately I'm selling mine because someone decided that my insurance didn't meet the Minimum Standards for the Affordable Care Act and I'm being penalized... on top of medical costs for 2 torn labrums and rotator cuffs.

I would highly recommend the Springfield. Give one a try

Feedback Score
    Have a Springfield trp operator and love it. First was a ria and I never have really liked it. It always felt unfinished and left something to be desired

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Christ, this thread has given me somewhat of a headache... First and foremost, the guys who are telling you how great their 1911s are because they shot 1000 rounds through em... lol. Its comical to listen to this as if 1K is a lot of rounds. Most quality 1911 barrels will stand up to 90K plus... I am not going to go into training, and testing, and blah. Because of MIM parts etc, I would avoid any and all production gun but one... Ill get to that one in a second.

Because you are fairly new to the 1911 platform, its really hard for me to recommend a top tier once in a lifetime smith to build a gun for you. IMO if you are going to spend 4K on a Wilson, you might as well skip right to a custom gun built specifically for you. The problem with this is... You dont really know what you like (Aesthetically, and Functionally).

In almost any other case but this one, I would say a DW Valor is an ideal pistol to start with (<--- The one production gun I would buy). In the case of Wilson, Brown, and a few other "Semi-Custom" makers, they are kit guns... same as the Valor. IMO there is no 3K difference in these two guns (beside some minor blending). I think a Valor with potential aesthetic upgrades down the line is a good move...

Now back to Once in a lifetime buy... I would 100% call one of the four guys and "talk" to them about doing a "wedding gift" buy.
    Brandan Bunker
    Joe Chambers
    Chuck Rogers
    Lou Biando

I know for a fact that any of these guys will be happy to talk to you and walk you through what is important, they will "interview" you to see what your needs are, and they will build you the best 1911 you will ever buy. The issues is time, and if they are actually accepting work. Any of the listed guys will build a gun specific to you with no limitations. There are other custom guys out there but the listed are my fav's (didnt mention Chen as I know for a fact he is not taking work).

I will also say, when you get to the best of the best, a lot of the gun world does not know about them... do your research and understand the differences of manufacturers, the quality of the parts they use, and what they are known for.

Just my .02 cents.

Bobby Cundiff
    Last edited by cundiff5535; 12-15-15 at 14:21.

Feedback Score
    My first, and only, 1911 is a Springfield TRP Operator. Absolutely love it.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345