Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: M4 SOPMOD Block 1 vs Block 2

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The SOCOM profile approaches a more logical, taper like shape. Thus, the additional weight isn't completely awkward.

Likewise.. the ELW barrel isn't THAT thin under the handguard... but it's taper shape to the thinnest portion, in front of the gas block, give it the feel of a complete pencil skinny barrel.

Both of these examples lead me to what others long ago concluded.... the govt profile is completely retarded.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Not sure what I did there.
    Last edited by themighty9mm; 04-24-14 at 19:43.

Feedback Score
    I had the KAC on my Colt M4A1 but it always felt a bit cramped. Swapped the KAC for a RIS and it made the gun feel and handle like a totally different animal. I think I'm actually quicker on target transitions than with the shorter rail-- having my support hand out farther on the barrel. Even with the heavier SOCOM profile, the gun does not feel front heavy and is perfect for my shooting style. Plus, I like having the light out near the barrel at 12o'clock.

IMG_0483_2.jpg
    Last edited by ROUTEMICHIGAN; 04-29-14 at 01:09.

The Sandbox, 2001-2006
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother-- Henry V

Feedback Score
    Which one is issued more in the military? The DD RIS II with the FSB gap or the no FSB?

Feedback Score
    That funny, having had both, I totally prefer the 7" rails. The more weight toward the back/middle of the gun, the more balanced it feels to me. I also don't mount a ton of crap on my rail or hold it by the muzzle so I can't think of any reason to have a longer/heavier rail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson184 View Post
    Which one is issued more in the military? The DD RIS II with the FSB gap or the no FSB?
    I rarely see the non-FSB model anymore. All of the 14.5 barrels we have in our inventory have the FSB, which I hate.

Rick

Feedback Score
    Is there any trick to reinstalling the FSB after installing the RIS II? Seems like there would not be a lot of room to drive the FSB pins back in?

Feedback Score
    The main reason that I run a KAC RAS at home is because that is what my issued M4 at work has, and I want the rifle I train with at home to replicate my issued rifle. If I had the freedom to choose anything in the supply system, I'd definitely go with the RIS II. Alas, I am in the big army, and use what I am issued.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kantstudien View Post
    Is there any trick to reinstalling the FSB after installing the RIS II? Seems like there would not be a lot of room to drive the FSB pins back in?
    Install the FSP taper pins prior to tightening the RIS II bolts. I hold it steady with this barrel vise jaw.

Feedback Score
    Man, this is a tough decision. Picked up a Colt 14.5" SOCOM profile barrel this week. Looking to get a 6920 OEM to swap the barrel onto for a clone build. Was going to just use the KAC RAS and a M4 Carbine stock since they're so iconic. Until I clicked on a few threads here, I had no idea about the existence of the Block II rifles. They a relatively new development? RIS II rail just makes the rifle look more like any regular AR15 now.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast