Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington 870 Express Tactical- Advice and Opinions

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)

Remington 870 Express Tactical- Advice and Opinions

I am looking for some advice/opinions on this model from Remington: http://www.remington.com/products/fi...-tactical.aspx
    I did the usual search and only turned up a couple threads that didn't really cover anything I was thinking of. So....

My initial thinking in looking at this version is that it'll get me a few more desirable options (7rd. tube, ghost ring sights, rail, changeable choke) between the $300-400 price, which makes a lot of sense for me as I cannot seem to find an 870P (especially set up this way) for under $5-600 (and up, up and away). I've looked extensively on Gunbroker, as well as a few online retailers, and all the shops by me, and there's either nothing at all, or they're untouchable. For the extra hundred or so bucks I'll save I can invest in a few simple upgrades to bring it up to "good enough" spec (I am aware of the basic issues with the Express line Vs. Police), as well as a pile of practice ammo...

My longterm vision for this is to have a simple shotgun that I can run any type of ammo through accurately, and including an extended mag tube, sidesaddle shell holder, sling, light mount, and RDS, for both defensive and recreational use.

But I have a few concerns (aside from which, I'm still a shotgun noob).

-The XS rear Ghost ring- how durable is that? How realistically usefull is it, compared to other ghost rings?
    Also, from what I can tell from the picture on Rem's site, it seems to be attached to the rail. How will this work out if I decide down the road for whatever reason it needs to be gone, or switched for something different?

-The rail piece- what is it made of (metal or plastic?), and is it in spec?
    In other words, is it a craptastic acessory they added for looks, or is it actually workable, even if it should be replaced eventually?

-If the rail piece is junk, the advantage I'm thinking is that the receiver is still drilled/tapped to accept a rail section. Does anyone know if Remington's job here is compatible with ALL rails? Or do you need to get one custom, or specifically sized for it?

Fire away.
    Last edited by Jellybean; 06-30-11 at 09:31.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    92 (96%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean
    ...between the $300-400 price, .
    For that price range
    better to find a used Wingmaster and build from there..

Feedback Score
    I had one for a short time and liked it well enough. The XS rail is aluminum (I believe).

I didn't care for the furniture or the "express" finish. It just plain sucks in my opinion. The "door-breaching" choke was gimmicky for my needs and was quickly replaced with a standard Remington IC screw-in choke. The ghost-rings were fine, though I still prefer an XS-dot only or some form of fiber-optic up front. Hell, even open rifle-sights hit faster for me.

I generally stick with the 18" 870P with walnut furniture. I have one and dig it. I also tend to search for lightly used 870 Wingmasters with solid bluing and go from there. I just picked up an 80's vintage 20ga Wingmaster in excellent condition for $225. If you are patient and don't mind putting in some elbow grease, this can be a rewarding learning experience on America's favorite shotgun.

With that said, if it fits your requirements for mounting an RDS, lights, shell holders etc. got for it. It will most likely be the quickest way to get your desired setup.

Feedback Score
    For the money you are willing to spend (or any amount for that matter) I would get a basic shotgun, shoot it a while then add on options to fill needs that the basic shotgun does not meet. You stated you wanted a "simple" shotgun but then stated you wanted a light, rail, RDS, chokes, side saddle...

Rob S started an excellent thread a few days ago that really explains how he has defined his needs and is building a shotgun to meet those needs one option at a time. I say start reading there. For $300 you can find a Remington 870 with a 18"-20" and go from there. Then address one need at a time (stock or light or chokes or...) Adding a bunch of stuff all at once may cloud issues.

M2C, good luck. Keep us posted.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerPatches View Post
    The "door-breaching" choke was gimmicky for my needs and was quickly replaced with a standard Remington IC screw-in choke.
    That was my thought too.

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bmyk View Post
    For the money you are willing to spend (or any amount for that matter) I would get a basic shotgun, shoot it a while then add on options to fill needs that the basic shotgun does not meet. You stated you wanted a "simple" shotgun but then stated you wanted a light, rail, RDS, chokes, side saddle...

Rob S started an excellent thread a few days ago that really explains how he has defined his needs and is building a shotgun to meet those needs one option at a time. I say start reading there. For $300 you can find a Remington 870 with a 18"-20" and go from there. Then address one need at a time (stock or light or chokes or...) Adding a bunch of stuff all at once may cloud issues.

M2C, good luck. Keep us posted.
    Yes, I just read through that thread today- definately some good points to think about.

As far as the accessories, please note that I stated that as longterm goals. I'm not just going to buy a shotgun so I can bolt all my favorite stuff to it.
    The overall meaning of that paragraph was that this seemed like a good starter platform that had a number of useful features already included to enable a bit of experimentation to figure out what works for me without to much extra cash outlay. Of course I may be wrong...
    And the gear list is basically just stuff anyone here would add to a carbine to make it a more effective tool.
    Last edited by Jellybean; 06-29-11 at 16:57.

Feedback Score
    Jellybean, understood about the longterm goals. I can tell you that there are a couple of no brainers, Mesa Tactical side saddle and SureFire 618 being two. If you want a screw in choke, one options is to get a long VR barrel and send it to Rose Action Sports for a chop and thread job. However, the I/C or Mod choke should serve you very well. I just put on a Mesa Urbino and I have a short review in another thread, this is also going on the no brainer list. As far as extended tubes go, I have a Vang Comp and a Wilson. I prefer the Vang Comp simple because it has removable sling plate. Other than that, I would buy either one again. In my humble limited opinion, things to avoid are Choate, Tacstar, and ATI. I like my bead and I am adding a XS large bead. My eyes are getting old. I have a rifle sighted barrel for my daughter's deer shotgun, but I prefer the bead. I am interested in the Remington express sighted barrel and may get one later, but the bead is working for me now and I think the XS may be a little faster.
    Good luck, keep us posted.
    R/
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    Yes, I just read through that thread today- definately some good points to think about.

As far as the accessories, please note that I stated that as longterm goals. I'm not just going to buy a shotgun so I can bolt all my favorite stuff to it.
    The overall meaning of that paragraph was that this seemed like a good starter platform that had a number of useful features already included to enable a bit of experimentation to figure out what works for me without to much extra cash outlay. Of course I may be wrong...
    And the gear list is basically just stuff anyone here would add to a carbine to make it a more effective tool.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bmyk View Post
    Jellybean, understood about the longterm goals. I can tell you that there are a couple of no brainers, Mesa Tactical side saddle and SureFire 618 being two. If you want a screw in choke, one options is to get a long VR barrel and send it to Rose Action Sports for a chop and thread job. However, the I/C or Mod choke should serve you very well. I just put on a Mesa Urbino and I have a short review in another thread, this is also going on the no brainer list. As far as extended tubes go, I have a Vang Comp and a Wilson. I prefer the Vang Comp simple because it has removable sling plate. Other than that, I would buy either one again. In my humble limited opinion, things to avoid are Choate, Tacstar, and ATI. I like my bead and I am adding a XS large bead. My eyes are getting old. I have a rifle sighted barrel for my daughter's deer shotgun, but I prefer the bead. I am interested in the Remington express sighted barrel and may get one later, but the bead is working for me now and I think the XS may be a little faster.
    Good luck, keep us posted.
    R/
    Mike
    Yes- I have heard a lot of good stuff about Mesa/Vang/Wilson, and they're definately on my "go here first" list. Never liked the looks of the Choate stuff anyway (yeah I know-'function over form' but their stuff always looked like puke.).

I'm not sure what you mean by a "long VR barrel" (noob)?
    Anyway, I'm not adverse to having a custom barrel job done, but it seems that (for me), the cost might outweigh the usefulness, and I might be better off with a fixed choke or a barrel already threaded from the factory. But I could be wrong....
    That, and I really don't want to go past the minimum 18.5" length- the shotguns I have used previously all had really long barrels, and were just impossibly unwieldy (especially after using an AR). The 870's and 590's I have been able to get hold of were just right with the 18 inch barrel.

The one acessory I am just hell-bent on having is a mag tube extension, preferably a +2 or 3. I have an older .410 that I have used quite a bit, and the fact the it only holds 3 shells has been an endless source of frustration that I am, quite frankly, sick of. So I WILL have an extension tube.
    I looked at Wilson Combat's shotgun accesories http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Magazine.../products/163/- their tube is cheaper than Vang's, still has a sling mount, and still comes in the right size, so I'll probably go with them.

In other news- this looks like an interesting accessory that would get around needing to have the receiver drilled/tapped to mount a rail. And it incorporates a shell carrier as well. For the price it seems to make sense, especially since it wouldn't be permanent if I end up hating either the rail or the shellcarrier....
    Mesa Tactical rail/shellcarrier option: http://www.smartgunner.com/91630.aspx
    IMO, the 8-shell version looks like it will be a little to long in the rear, especially since I plan on keeping a standard shotgun stock.
    Last edited by Jellybean; 06-30-11 at 12:28.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by a "long VR barrel" (noob)?
    VR is vent ribbed. It is the flat rail on the top of the barrel typically seen on game/hunting guns.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    What I did was kept an eye out in local pawn shops and ended up picking up a Remington 870 12ga Express Magnum. It was an older one with the metal trigger guard instead of the plastic one with the j-lock. I paid 200 out the door. Turned around and started buying parts here and there, bought several off of here including a 6 shot side saddle and a GG&G sling point. Found a 18.5" barrel online new for 100 shipped and then added a Hogue Forearm, Scattergun Technologies +2 mag ext, spring, and follower, and a Blackhawk Specops stock. Ended up with a nice HD shotty and actually recouped a lot of my initial investment by selling the factory barrel, stock, and other parts I removed. I was going to go with Ghost Rings style sights but after shooting a friends shotty that had them I realized target acquisition wasn't as fast (as for me) and a single bead sight. I wouldn't overdue a shotty cause chances are its never going to see a lot of use unless you just like shooting shotguns. Don't take nothing I say to heart, its just my .02
    We sleep in peace at night due to soldiers standing ready to do other's harm on our behalf. There can be no peace without sacrifice so thank a veteran!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast