Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Billet uppers and lowers

Feedback Score

Billet uppers and lowers

Greetings all. My first post here and I am looking for info on billet uppers and lowers.

First off let me say I don't claim to know much about AR's but have had at least one most of my adult life. Shot some NRA highpower a few years ago and have been playing with a RRA since last June. All that means is that I know which end the bullets come out of.

I have the bug to build one of my own. This will be a long term project and I will have many questions as I go.

I figure the first thing to get is the upper and lower. Not interested in anything but billets for this build.

I have been lurking around this site for awhile now and have gathered quite a bit of information I think.
    Planned use for this thing will be range plinking, coyote hunting and maybe some 3 gun.

I looked at Sun Devil, and by that actually had some uppers and lowers in my hands. Really liked them but one thing bothered me. The "standard" trigger guard. I came back here and learned that there are at least some makers that have an "integral" trigger guard and I believe that is what I want.

Please tell me your opinions and pros and cons of each maker. I don't even know how many or who makes what I want. The Magpuls look good but from what I can tell they are not available. Please post links as to where to get whatever you suggest.

Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    I've heard that the Magpul lower is on the back burner for them so I'd skip it unless you don't mind a long wait.

In addition to the Sun Devil,

http://www.tacticalinc.com/t15bdx-bi...er-p-1082.html

and

http://www.jprifles.com/1.2.1.php

Are the two options I know of for lower receivers. For the upper there's JP, Larue and Vltor.

Feedback Score
    The POF lowers are expensive ($300 neighborhood) but feature an integrated trigger guard. The new gen III ones also have an ambidextrous bolt catch, but it uses a proprietary part/receiver design. The $18 dollar option is to get a magpul trigger guard or the rra winter guard when avaliable.

Feedback Score
    Now I see that Sun Devil is making a lower with the integral trigger guard so I am back interested in them. I also saw another SD upper the other day that had a forward assist so I went back to their website and they had both of the above listed.

Any pros or cons from anyone who has experience with these?

I am thinking the forward assist would be the way to go.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There are a few billet threads in this section, you may get some good info from them. The trigger guards are nice, but you can drop in a Magpul trigger guard on any lower you want, so don't let that be your end deciding factor.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Shot View Post
    Now I see that Sun Devil is making a lower with the integral trigger guard so I am back interested in them. I also saw another SD upper the other day that had a forward assist so I went back to their website and they had both of the above listed.

Any pros or cons from anyone who has experience with these?

I am thinking the forward assist would be the way to go.
    DS isnt making the lower with the trigger guard any longer. They only made a few and then canceled production

Ths SD uppers are very good and I would have them but they donot have M4 cuts.

I will never own a upper without a FA.
    Im Shihan of Shihan Gear.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    you can drop in a Magpul trigger guard on any lower you want, so don't let that be your end deciding factor.
    I would second that recommendation.

Feedback Score
    Embarassed to say that I have had 3 or 4 SD uppers in my hands and did not notice they did not have M4 cuts. I guess that would be kind of a deal breaker there. Same if they are not making the integral trigger guard. I know you can put a RR or Magpul but I don't really want to go that way. Just looks cheap on a billet part. Never saw the need for the folding TG anyway. I also realize that the billet isn't needed either but have forged ones and want something different.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Shot View Post
    Embarassed to say that I have had 3 or 4 SD uppers in my hands and did not notice they did not have M4 cuts. I guess that would be kind of a deal breaker there. Same if they are not making the integral trigger guard. I know you can put a RR or Magpul but I don't really want to go that way. Just looks cheap on a billet part. Never saw the need for the folding TG anyway. I also realize that the billet isn't needed either but have forged ones and want something different.
    For a different looking upper buy the Vltor MUR.
    Im Shihan of Shihan Gear.

Feedback Score
    Why billet?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast