Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Buy Em Cheap and Stack em Deep

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TurretGunner View Post
    +1. I was just about to post about him having more comon sense and being more level headed at 16, then half the people who live on this site.

You would be HIGHLY served to also research elsewhere on the net. M4C tends to get some pretty polar (and many times wrong) personalites that care more about brand then the actual merits of the product.
    There are also much more "informed" folks on this forum than any other.

C4

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    There are also much more "informed" folks on this forum than any other.

C4
    Opinion and informed opinion are two very different things to be sure.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    if we're going to let non mil-spec 6061 extruded receivers fly why not save a few more bucks and get an 8620 bolt and 4140 barrel steel?

to me, it's also the idea of them trying to sneak this by. because how many of you just saw the words "mil-spec" and "buffer tube" and just assumed forged 7075? comes across as shady to me, and makes me wonder if any other corners are cut. I'll buy PSA stripped lowers but not their LPKs with buffer tubes

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    +1. I was just about to post about him having more comon sense and being more level headed at 16, then half the people who live on this site.

You would be HIGHLY served to also research elsewhere on the net.
    On a general merit, the net has such a high noise to signal ratio, I tend to advise people find a few solid sources of intel, and stick to them until such a time they have the knowledge of the topic to discriminate between the signal to noise of the topic at hand. Using a topic I know, nutrition, supplements for example: I find people simply get more confused the more sources they look at on the 'net unless/until they have a base understanding to be able to discriminate between noise and signal and know BS from useful, and or at least enough to know where to go for clarification on the subject.

Personally, people new to a topic, I will mention a few sites/sources I trust, and tell them to stick to those like glue to prevent intel over load/paralysis by analysis.

M4C seems to be a very concentrated source of very good info on the AR platform (recommend to me by a source I trust) and fire arms/fire arm related info.

That's not to say others don't exist of course.

M4C tends to get some pretty polar (and many times wrong) personalites that care more about brand then the actual merits of the product.
    Well now you've done it!
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by avengd7x View Post
    if we're going to let non mil-spec 6061 extruded receivers fly why not save a few more bucks and get an 8620 bolt and 4140 barrel steel?

to me, it's also the idea of them trying to sneak this by. because how many of you just saw the words "mil-spec" and "buffer tube" and just assumed forged 7075? comes across as shady to me, and makes me wonder if any other corners are cut. I'll buy PSA stripped lowers but not their LPKs with buffer tubes
    I know I though that when I bought the PSA complete lower... Yeah I'm a little disappointed, But I think comparing the receiver ext. to the bolt/barrel, eh... I guess I'll try to remember to have the stock completely collapsed if I ever have to mortar it...
    Last edited by ShermanM4; 08-16-13 at 10:13.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    On a general merit, the net has such a high noise to signal ratio, I tend to advise people find a few solid sources of intel, and stick to them until such a time they have the knowledge of the topic to discriminate between the signal to noise of the topic at hand. Using a topic I know, nutrition, supplements for example: I find people simply get more confused the more sources they look at on the 'net unless/until they have a base understanding to be able to discriminate between noise and signal and know BS from useful, and or at least enough to know where to go for clarification on the subject.

Personally, people new to a topic, I will mention a few sites/sources I trust, and tell them to stick to those like glue to prevent intel over load/paralysis by analysis.

M4C seems to be a very concentrated source of very good info on the AR platform (recommend to me by a source I trust) and fire arms/fire arm related info.

That's not to say others don't exist of course.

Well now you've done it!
    I agree with almost everything you have said. However, the gear snobs and brand pushers here eclipse anything I have ever seen on the internet.

I mean, its almost as if G&R and/or BCM owned this site.

You do some searching around the net, you might be suprised what you find about some sites. Some of us have been lurking around the firearms boards since the mid-late 90's. There is alot of drama that has gone down, and most people have no idea.

I come here beacuse there IS good info that is pushed, and some people whose opinion I respect, also post here. It is better than most of the sites and although some of the info may be a bit bias, most of the bullshit it kept to a min. I shoot mostly high end gear and products, but that will not keep me from acknowledging that there are many cheaper products that are completly servicble and for 90% of shooters (including most on this site) is more that adaquate.

Feedback Score
    I agree with almost everything you have said. However, the gear snobs and brand pushers here eclipse anything I have ever seen on the internet.

You do some searching around the net, you might be suprised what you find about some sites. Some of us have been lurking around the firearms boards since the mid-late 90's. There is alot of drama that has gone down, and most people have no idea.

I come here beacuse there IS good info that is pushed, and some people whose opinion I respect, also post here. It is better than most of the sites and although some of the info may be a bit bias, most of the bullshit it kept to a min. I shoot mostly high end gear and products, but that will not keep me from acknowledging that there are many cheaper products that are completly servicble and for 90% of shooters (including most on this site) is more that adaquate.
    It may be what I call internet site group think but Colt, BCM and Daniel Defense put out the highest quality build and material on the market for a reasonable price.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShermanM4 View Post
    I know I though that when I bought the PSA complete lower... Yeah I'm a little disappointed, But I think comparing the receiver ext. to the bolt/barrel, eh... I guess I'll try to remember to have the stock completely collapsed if I ever have to mortar it...
    Everyone knows that only 7075t6 is an acceptable aloy for buttstroking the enemy to death. 6061 will just disenegrate into pixie dust rendering your weapon useless.

If people even stopped to think about what material is being used for what application, none of this BS would even come up.

You can tell the difference between how a 4140/4150/CMV barrel shoots? The company cutting/Forging the barrel is 1000 times more important than the type of steel they use. Its the same kind of ignrance that makes people think that CHF is somehow a better/more expensive way to make a barrel than RifleCut/Button. They will sure as hell pay a premium for it, nonetheless.

Tell me how a buffer tube even starts to see the same kind of pressure that a barrel , much less an upper (which does not even take a fraction of the presure/heat the barrel and barrel extension take) sees? Oh yeah, the TDP says it so it must be truth.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

So long as those cheaper products are very clear and up front about why their product is cheaper, it's all good.

But if you pay as much attention as you seem to, surely you have noticed that a great number of people fall victim to marketing, such as in this case, and think that a part is something it is not due to the wording used by the manufacturer/retail. That "milspec diameter" phrase used here is a textbook perfect example.

There is a difference between a person making an informed decision that a 6061 receiver extension that was made with a diameter that allows milspec stocks is plenty for them and a great way to save a few bucks, and a person thinking they are buying a 7075-T6 (etc) milspec part because they read into the statement, just like the manufacturing/marketing department intended.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    So long as those cheaper products are very clear and up front about why their product is cheaper, it's all good.

But if you pay as much attention as you seem to, surely you have noticed that a great number of people fall victim to marketing, such as in this case, and think that a part is something it is not due to the wording used by the manufacturer/retail. That "milspec diameter" phrase used here is a textbook perfect example.

There is a difference between a person making an informed decision that a 6061 receiver extension that was made with a diameter that allows milspec stocks is plenty for them and a great way to save a few bucks, and a person thinking they are buying a 7075-T6 (etc) milspec part because they read into the statement, just like the manufacturing/marketing department intended.
    I fell victim to this.

I hope my S&W came with 7075-T6 RE.

Assembling my new lower, I used a generic "Mil-Spec" RE, I know for a fact now that just means diameter.

I, however, think I will never notice the difference.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast