Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Buy Em Cheap and Stack em Deep

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    It may be what I call internet site group think but Colt, BCM and Daniel Defense put out the highest quality build and material on the market for a reasonable price.
    The only one of those that even comes close to a "reasonable" price compared with the rest of the market is Colt. There is no disputing that they make good products, but both BCM and DD has drasticaly increased their prices over the years into premium AR territory. In fact, I build a DD rifle on their website beacuse I had just bought a V5LW and wanted to see what they cost, it was damn near 1800 for a rifle with a rail. That is pushing SR15 territory, and most will agree, quality and perfmance is not even in the same balpark.

When you can build a rifle with good parts for aroun $700-800, it starts to make your $11-1200 6920 (which are carbines, not even middies with that retarded m4 cut barrel) not as attractive. Thats a AP or Eotech difference for what really ammounts to nothing.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    So long as those cheaper products are very clear and up front about why their product is cheaper, it's all good.

But if you pay as much attention as you seem to, surely you have noticed that a great number of people fall victim to marketing, such as in this case, and think that a part is something it is not due to the wording used by the manufacturer/retail. That "milspec diameter" phrase used here is a textbook perfect example.

There is a difference between a person making an informed decision that a 6061 receiver extension that was made with a diameter that allows milspec stocks is plenty for them and a great way to save a few bucks, and a person thinking they are buying a 7075-T6 (etc) milspec part because they read into the statement, just like the manufacturing/marketing department intended.
    When a company says Milspec for a tube or RE, they are talking about the geometry. This is how the distinguish it from a commercial one.

Milspec - fits Milspec Stocks
    Commercial - Fits Commcercial stocks

PSA is not being misleading whatsoever. Hell they probally buy their tubes from the same place 75% of the other manufactures buy theirs from.

You are the only one that seems to be hung up on the type of alloy they use, as if it even made a lick of difference in the perfomance of the rifle. You wouldn't even know the difference if it wasnt labeled. In the remote and extreamley rare chance that your tube was to fail, you think a 7075 vs a 6061 is going to make a difference? The tube does not even come close to getting the heat and pressure that other parts that even start to matter what type of alloy is used. Get real.
    Last edited by TurretGunner; 08-16-13 at 10:31.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    "Milspec diameter" IS NOT milspec. It is simply the same diameter as milspec.

That's why they don't simply call it milspec, and that is why they don't list what it is made from. Because I guarantee it's 6061 or similar, and not the 7075 that is milspec.

Please read more carefully.
    I did read carefully. on their site they list two Mil Spec Diameter RE, one 7075 and one 6061, both 6 position.

how is it you know which one is included?..
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zane1844 View Post
    I fell victim to this.

I hope my S&W came with 7075-T6 RE.

Assembling my new lower, I used a generic "Mil-Spec" RE, I know for a fact now that just means diameter.

I, however, think I will never notice the difference.
    This is the kind of shit I am talking about.

Some people on this site get the rooks and novies all worked up over what ammounts to bullshit, and then they are running around worrying about insignificant shit, when they should be focused on learning to shoot and improving their skills.

Its like an episode of the twighlight zone.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

This is why marketing departments exist. To knowingly and intentionally mislead people into believing they are buying something they are not, without ever actually lying. It's all about what you say, and what you don't say.
    That has been and will be the case for almost all manufactures of all products.

It will always be "buyer beware".
    Most marketers will always have low cost options like what the OP posted.

It is another good reason to do your own DD and find and use quality sites like M4carbine to know to ask exactly what kind of Rec Ext it has and know the difference.

To know that a 6061 Rec Ext. is not as strong allows lets the buyer make an informed decision.

I would prefer that PSA would operate differently, but, I can deal with them the way they are.
    There are other places that offer good deals and more options.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TurretGunner View Post
    The only one of those that even comes close to a "reasonable" price compared with the rest of the market is Colt. There is no disputing that they make good products, but both BCM and DD has drasticaly increased their prices over the years into premium AR territory. In fact, I build a DD rifle on their website beacuse I had just bought a V5LW and wanted to see what they cost, it was damn near 1800 for a rifle with a rail. That is pushing SR15 territory, and most will agree, quality and perfmance is not even in the same balpark.

When you can build a rifle with good parts for around $700-800, it starts to make your $11-1200 6920 (which are carbines, not even middies with that retarded m4 cut barrel) not as attractive. Thats a AP or Eotech difference for what really ammounts to nothing.
    Parts/current price list with links for this?
    Last edited by Warp; 08-16-13 at 10:46.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    I did read carefully. on their site they list two Mil Spec Diameter RE, one 7075 and one 6061, both 6 position.

how is it you know which one is included?..
    I'll PayPal you $15 if the 7075-T6 RE is the one included in the product listed in the OP.

Get PSA to tell us which one it is.

There is a reason they say what they do. That is not the mil-spec receiver extension.

It shouldn't be a big deal, just tell customers up front exactly what it is that is being sold. Simple as that.

All I wanted to know was if anybody knows if PSA lets you choose to pay more to substitute on products like that for people who might want the "premium" 7075 tube and an H (or H2 or whatever) buffer.

But according to some people full disclosure and options seems to be a bad thing because apparently there's no way that anybody who wants an H buffer and 7075 RE is concerned with actually shooting.
    Last edited by Warp; 08-16-13 at 10:46.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I agree with almost everything you have said. However, the gear snobs and brand pushers here eclipse anything I have ever seen on the internet.

I mean, its almost as if G&R and/or BCM owned this site.
    Oh come on bro, you know that aint the case. I solid list of brands are "go to" in addition to those on M4C. We don't need to list them, but you're exaggerating heavily. Yes, the same brands tend to pop up, but they should it appears from all I have gathered at least.

I think the major hang up is this:

Those who point out X brands is more than likely good enough for 90% of shooters out there, and those who will claim those brands are just as good as the DD, BCM, Colts, out there.

You know one is true, one is not, but the concepts tend to get tangled together. BM makes an AR that is probably perfectly fine for 90% of shooters who out 100-200rnds a year through an AR at the range. As does all manner of brands.

But even at the lower costs ends, people may be better off with one brand (say the S&W) vs say BM.

That's as much as I can say on the matter as it's getting outside my lane.

As for industry related drama, I tend to stay out of it as I have enough to deal with in my own industry, but if you have a few threads you think I should read on other forums, PM me the URL.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I agree with almost everything you have said. However, the gear snobs and brand pushers here eclipse anything I have ever seen on the internet.

I mean, its almost as if G&R and/or BCM owned this site.

You do some searching around the net, you might be suprised what you find about some sites. Some of us have been lurking around the firearms boards since the mid-late 90's. There is alot of drama that has gone down, and most people have no idea.

I come here beacuse there IS good info that is pushed, and some people whose opinion I respect, also post here. It is better than most of the sites and although some of the info may be a bit bias, most of the bullshit it kept to a min. I shoot mostly high end gear and products, but that will not keep me from acknowledging that there are many cheaper products that are completly servicble and for 90% of shooters (including most on this site) is more that adaquate.
    I too have been on gun forums since the 90's. From my experience, what people THINK they know and what they ACTUALLY know are two different things (as they were never directly involved in any of the conversations).

For me personally, I am and have been friends with Paul (owner of BCM). There is no more trustworthy, honest guy in the firearms industry than him. NONE! So ya, I like to see his company do well and fully support him. If that makes me a "fan boy" or "brand pusher," I will wear that title with pleasure!

I also stock Colt, DD, S&W, Noveske, KAC and LMT AR's. Could I stock other brands of AR's? Yes. By monday, I could have a shelf full of DPMS, BM, RRA, Oly, etc. I CHOOSE not to though. Why? Because at the end of the day, their products are just a little bit cheaper than the quality AR's so why bother with the hassle of returns, broken parts or guns not running?? As they say, "Juice is not worth the squeeze."

At the end of the day, we all like what we like and that is just fine with me.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 08-16-13 at 10:48.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Parts/current price list with links for this?
    Take my OP + http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...2-profile.html

Then you can order 10 Mags, a TR25 and a few boxes of ammo and still be under $1000.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast