Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DIY Krytec like spray paint Camo

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn View Post
    The goal is to break up the shape and color of the weapon. The people creating a worn look artificially, whether it be scrubbing some paint off or throwing their rifle down the driveway, are probably better suited by another popular AR focused forum.
    I am sorry if I miss lead you, to believe I was unaware of the reason for painting a rifle. However if one is worried about how pretty their rifle is or if the paint may chip perhaps they would be better off leaving it black. I made no statement of intentionally fading the paint, nothing more that a positive side effect of using spray paint and using the rifle. The paint will fade in places other than the grip.
    Last edited by Guns-up.50; 08-20-13 at 12:30.
    "Courage is being scared to death ,but saddling up anyways" John wayne

NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY

Feedback Score
    18 (85%)
    Update and Redid OP.

As for the grips, the paint makes it "slippery" when it starts to peel off unto your palm. Especially without gloves (my hands sweat ALOT)

Feedback Score
    I may try this on my cmmg. Looks awesome!

I have a couple questions. Were did you get the paint from? Walmart/Auto zone?
    Also when the rifle heats up how does the paint do? Does melt/liquefy? Not worried about it chipping that will happen during use and training.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Re: DIY Krytec like spray paint Camo

Thanks again for doing this write up! Gonna paint my bolt gun in the next few days, its already sprayed so I can't mess up!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score

Talking

Kryptek© has some very interesting patterns. They can be found here: Kryptek Patterns

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    great job OP.

I may have to try this out now

(although i might buy a toy gun to practice as my experience with painting firearms was a bb gun in 2nd grade...)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by skijunkie55 View Post
    great job OP.

I may have to try this out now

(although i might buy a toy gun to practice as my experience with painting firearms was a bb gun in 2nd grade...)
    Was thinking the same thing.
    Google Image results with Kryptek stencil. Just need to understand the procedure of layering the paint base, when to use then positive stencil vs the negative stencil

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Talking

I had some time to kill while doing laundry.
    I printed the stencil on regular 8x10 paper and decided to cut out the stencil. Stencil was found using Google Image: Kryptek + stencil...too many to mention
    Lots of trial and errors on which to remove and which to keep
    problems:
    ----- if you get carried away with cutting off parts, the middle will fall off, since there is nothing to hold or keep it in the center. So, some portions I had to retain to keep the middle from falling off.
    ----- the proportion will be a trial and error. when I took the design, I kinda guess-timate on how big or small some of the pattern. No reason-No rhyme.
    ----- when I did cut off certain portions, it made the stencil, hmmm.....not stiff. So when I lay it on the surface of what I need to paint, which, is not always flat, some of the stencil did not lay flat on it, causing the paint to go underneath the stencil. Yes, its camouflage and therefore, nothing should be perfect symmetry. Granted valid argument.
    possible solution, I may have to get a stiffer paper, OR, lay a few painters tape, overlapping, to match the size of the pattern, then transfer/ trace the pattern over to the painters tape. Once transferred, peel off and lay on the surface to be painted. Now in theory, the stencil will provide a sharper edge.

results on my cheapo airsoft, painted already, again no pattern, just splash of brown and black with tan for base.

here you can see the only portion of the stencil I could use, because the pattern is tighter and easier to lay on the surface.

the portion not painted, because the cut out pattern was so frail, fragile, it refuses to lay flat, therefore, I could not paint over. Thus, the idea of using painters tape.

you kinda get the idea on the size of the pattern in relation to the size of the 8x10 paper.

I may have to play around and produce varying sizes of pattern once I start laying it on various parts uneven surfaces of the rifle.

this is a time consuming project, so weigh in, how much your time is worth vs dipping your rifle for $130 ( I read it in the internet, therefore the price must be correct ...sarcasm)[]

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Both of these results look awesome. If I can get over the fear of spray painting my beautiful new rifles when I get home, I am going to try this pattern.

Feedback Score
    First of all, both of these paint jobs look awesome!! Great job.

I have a suggestion to maybe make the stencil deal easier. Print the stencil onto a full sheet of label paper. That would make everything stay put once you lay it onto the rifle. Or, spray some easy release spray adhesive onto thicker paper. Label paper would be much better but I don't know if they make label paper that is full 8 1/2 x11.

Obviously guys with access to a plotter could knock this out on a vinyl sheet in seconds. Wish I had a damn plotter...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast