Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 7.62 NATO, Semi-Auto, "sniper" rifle

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MassMark View Post
    USGI mags are cheap and easy to find as they are still in production. i say go M1A and never look back....
    Where can I find these USGI mags that are cheap? I can't say that I've scoured the internet, but I have looked a bit and don't find any under around $40 a pop, usually closer to $50. I'm in no way doubting they are out there, I just want to know where...

Thanks!

Feedback Score

usgi m14 m1a

midway: http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe...341***12517***

and 44mag.com has them cheap too plus if you live in a ban state they'll dissasemble them for you for a $1.50 a mag

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jgalt View Post
    Where can I find these USGI mags that are cheap? I can't say that I've scoured the internet, but I have looked a bit and don't find any under around $40 a pop, usually closer to $50. I'm in no way doubting they are out there, I just want to know where...

Thanks!

Try www.44mag.com

They sell Checkmate mags for something like $25.00.

Checkmate are the current military contractors for the M14 magazines, and they're great, not to be confused with the M9 mags.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    The only one right now that isn't going to be impossibly expensive or hard to mount optics on is the PTR-91. I think CDNN still has them for $900.

But fair warning, they're filthy rifles, and a paddle release (highly worth it) is going to run around $200.

I think they're the only "cheap" semi-auto option in town that you can mount optics on.

As usual a boltgun is going to be twice as accurate for half the money.
    "Life is short, but the years are long." - Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I'd have to say either an AR platform or bolt gun. Probably the best 2 options when considering price v. accuracy. I personally would lean towards the AR platform, as I prefer semi's. Though I have seen PTR's like Aurang suggested post some nice accuracy out to 300 yards.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    To clarify Templar's post, some AR-10 converted mags will work with the M1A or M14. Though it's not universal, and the current, and SUPERIOR, Gen II Armalite AR-10 mags will not work at all in the M14/M1A.

I have mags that were converted from M14 mags long ago, and they will still operate in the M14, but I don't think they hold the bolt open when they are empty -- due to the follower being changed.

A standard M14 mag will not stay in the magwell of an AR-10, since there is no mag release notch cut on a standard USGI M14 mag.

Hope that helps...

BTW, I would recommend an Armalite AR-10 to fit your needs. The DPMS meets most of your criteria except for 20rd mags.
    Last edited by SHIVAN; 04-21-08 at 08:37.

Feedback Score
    I'd like a gun as described in OP as well, but will be waiting to see what FN and Magpul deliver.

Feedback Score
    Here's what I'm looking for:

- A semi-auto rifle, chambered for 7.62 NATO, that won't choke on .308 Winchester ammo
    - Needs to accept 20 round magazines, & have 5 round magazines available
    - I want to be able to have excellent accuracy out to at least 600 meters
    - It has to be able to take down deer-sized animals at that same distance (assuming I am good enough to hit them, of course )
    - I need to be able to mount a scope that will allow me to be precise out to at least 600 meters
    - Ideally, it will accept a suppressor
    - It can't cost an arm and a leg...

I'm fairly new to the ins and outs of 7.62 / .308 rifles, so don't assume I know anything about anything. Having said that, I grew up hunting with my Dad, some of which was deer hunting. I used a semi-auto 308 Winchester for the few years that I hunted deer, so while I'm not a complete noob, please feel free to pretend I am...

Any and all suggestions will be much appreciated!
    Well, here's mine. It will fill most of your requirements except it won't mount a suppressor in it's current configuration (never had a need for one and don't care to jump through the ATF hoops either) and it's probably a bit more than what you want to spend on it. I really don't have an accurate idea how much it cost me since I built it up over the years with parts I could find that fit my needs and some things like the McMillian stock are from the USMC DMR contract over-run bedded in Devcon that doesn't break down requiring re-bedding and the Brookfield mount isn't made anymore and going to be a LOT more expensive these days if you can even find one. However, it's 100% reliable with anything it is fed and DEADLY accurate! When I lived in North Daktoa, I used it to pick off deer in my sunflower fields out to 665 yards (verified with a Leica 1200 range finder) to date without any problems or a need for a second shot.

Feedback Score
    These are mine - and they will accept a sound suppressor

DETAILS

Feedback Score
    http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=GMA9827 Heres a link to a springfield armory M1A with there extended cluster rail (even though its pictured on a SOCOM), if you dont like the bottom rail it can be easily removed or you could use it with a bipod. It is a solid platform for optics and the loaded M1As will shoot well out to 600 yards with decent glass. Also if you want to put a can on it AAC and YHM both make flash hiders for the full sized M1A that will accept their fast atatch cans (make sure that if you really need to suppress your rifle you get the full size rifle since it has a USGI M14 thread pitch, the scout and SOCOM have different thread pitches from and the flash hiders wont fit them).

Here's what I'm looking for:

- A semi-auto rifle, chambered for 7.62 NATO, that won't choke on .308 Winchester ammo
    - Needs to accept 20 round magazines, & have 5 round magazines available
    - I want to be able to have excellent accuracy out to at least 600 meters
    - It has to be able to take down deer-sized animals at that same distance (assuming I am good enough to hit them, of course )
    - I need to be able to mount a scope that will allow me to be precise out to at least 600 meters
    - Ideally, it will accept a suppressor
    - It can't cost an arm and a leg...

I'm fairly new to the ins and outs of 7.62 / .308 rifles, so don't assume I know anything about anything. Having said that, I grew up hunting with my Dad, some of which was deer hunting. I used a semi-auto 308 Winchester for the few years that I hunted deer, so while I'm not a complete noob, please feel free to pretend I am...

Any and all suggestions will be much appreciated!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast