Thread: Tips for running an AK left handed?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Tips for running an AK left handed?

One of my favorite aspects of Green Eyes Black Rifles was the tips on running the gun if you were a lefty. Anyone have similar tips for the AK pattern? Such as:

Keeping the charging handle from stabbing me during transitions?
    Most efficient operation of the charging handle and safety?

Thanks,

Jason

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    As a left hander, you actually have some advantages in running the Kalashnikov.

Firing hand on the pistol grip, you can use your off hand to work the action, change magazines, and work the selector.

To disengage the safety, I'd use a magwell hold, and then come back and sweep the selector down with my right hand as I'm bringing the rifle up. I would then MOVE my support hand up to the handguard, rather than keep the magwell hold while engaging targets.

As far as the cocking handle hitting you while transitioning to handgun, use your off hand to guide the rifle down as your strong hand grips and presents the handgun.

My two pfennigs......
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    RAM, try and attend the next Vickers Tactical AK Class (probably in the spring of 09 because Larry does an excellent job of discussing and demonstrating how a lefty can run the AK efficiently.

Feedback Score
    What about rolling the ak action up to prevent that like doing so with an AR