Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 7.62 NATO, Semi-Auto, "sniper" rifle

Feedback Score

Arrow

Contact Tony Lawrence @ LAW483 for detailed information. Tony designed the MCS.

BTW, the M39 EMR is replacing the M14 DMR in the Marine Corps.
    The M39 EMR utilizes a special SAGE EBR stock.

Feedback Score

M14

a trusty M14 will do the trick!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    R700? At my local Gander Mtn they had an R700 with 6-24x magnification scope on it for I think $1200...

Feedback Score
    I know the 5.56 doesn't cut it in defeating hard cover, but I thought you'd find this interesting (highlight mine):

“The “one shot-one kill” motto of the sniper profession is a fine goal, but that is not the way it worked for us.
    ...what we encountered were situations where we had multiple targets in front of us at various ranges, and we needed to be able to engage them all very quickly.
    The M4s and ammunition we were issued were virtually as accurate and effective out to around 800 meters as the M24 [7.62 bolt-rifle] and M118 [Lake City Match] ammunition.
    My rack-grade M4 was modified with a suppressor, a match-grade trigger, and an ACOG sight, and it was making first-round hits at 730 meters! The Mk262 77-grain Black Hills ammunition is by far the preferred ammunition for the M4—it is deadly! It provides reliable first hit incapacitation.
    We’ve had incidents where enemy insurgents have been shot and hit in the same place at the same distance with the 77-grain Black Hills round and the standard Army 62-grain bullet; the first guy was dead when he hit the ground, the guy hit with the lighter bullet was patched up and lived.
    ...every one of the team got rid of the old “green tip” rounds and loaded up our mags with the new ammo.
    With our [Army MTU] modified rack-grade carbines, we were able to shoot sub-MOA.”

- Army SSGT James Gilliland, Shadow Team section leader, in Trigger Men, pp.112-113 (note also I got this quotation from a friend, so please forgive if it's not exact)

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I don't think anyone here doubts that 5.56 is an effective round with proper shot placement, but I'm not sure I understand the relevance to a semi-auto 7.62 NATO sniper rifle.

Did you mean to put this in another thread?

Quote Originally Posted by carbinero View Post
    I know the 5.56 doesn't cut it in defeating hard cover, but I thought you'd find this interesting (highlight mine):

“The “one shot-one kill” motto of the sniper profession is a fine goal, but that is not the way it worked for us.
    ...what we encountered were situations where we had multiple targets in front of us at various ranges, and we needed to be able to engage them all very quickly.
    The M4s and ammunition we were issued were virtually as accurate and effective out to around 800 meters as the M24 [7.62 bolt-rifle] and M118 [Lake City Match] ammunition.
    My rack-grade M4 was modified with a suppressor, a match-grade trigger, and an ACOG sight, and it was making first-round hits at 730 meters! The Mk262 77-grain Black Hills ammunition is by far the preferred ammunition for the M4—it is deadly! It provides reliable first hit incapacitation.
    We’ve had incidents where enemy insurgents have been shot and hit in the same place at the same distance with the 77-grain Black Hills round and the standard Army 62-grain bullet; the first guy was dead when he hit the ground, the guy hit with the lighter bullet was patched up and lived.
    ...every one of the team got rid of the old “green tip” rounds and loaded up our mags with the new ammo.
    With our [Army MTU] modified rack-grade carbines, we were able to shoot sub-MOA.”

- Army SSGT James Gilliland, Shadow Team section leader, in Trigger Men, pp.112-113 (note also I got this quotation from a friend, so please forgive if it's not exact)
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    I thought it would be an interesting sidenote, like the pic of the A2 above.

Feedback Score
    For M14/M1A's, check out this site:

http://www.lrbarms.com/m14receivers.html

They make new forged receivers and you can get a complete rifle from them with quality parts. It's generally more difficult to supress an M14 varient rifle than it is a AR10. As far as I know, Fisher is the only can that can readily be mounted to the M14. I've considered supressing mine but have not bitten that bullet just yet.

Feedback Score
    LRB Arms and SEI are working together to make complete rifles available.

Here's how it works. You buy a LRB receiver and a parts kit from LRB.
    You can supply your own parts kit if you have one.
    LRB sends the receiver to your home state FFL and you do the normal 4473/NICS paper work.
    If needed, LRB ships the parts kit to Smith Enterprise, Inc.
    You then mail your LRB receiver to SEI. SEI then assembles your rifle with a mix of USGI and
    SEI parts. The completed SEI/LRB rifle is shipped back to you.

Feedback Score
    If you want something thats precise to 600 meters, the only rifle that fits the bill is the AR10. The M1A/M14 is just part of the fudd internet mythos as being an accurate tack driver. Any M14 that is capable of shooting sub-MOA is going to be plagued with reliability and durability issues.

If you have a lightfighter account, I would highly advise you to read this thread.
    http://lightfighter.net/eve/forums/a...6361003623/p/1

Many very experienced people commented on the fact that an accurized M14 is not much more than a polished turd.

Feedback Score

Thumbs down Lightfighter fudd internet mytho Turds

Quote Originally Posted by pryde View Post
    Any M14 that is capable of shooting sub-MOA is going to be plagued with reliability and durability issues.

Now that is a bunch of BS!

Lightfighter is full of so called experienced people that have no idea what a
    modernized SEI M14 is and they don't want to learn anything about them.

All of their comments and experience center around old school bedded national match type M14s.

The AR10 is nice, but reliability and accuracy issues continue to plague the platform in the sand box.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast