Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: QD Sling Mount Options for A2 Handguards?

Feedback Score

QD Sling Mount Options for A2 Handguards?

I'm looking for an economical QD sling mount for my .22LR upper. I'm trying to set it up as closely as possibly to the 5.56 Recon upper I'm building while keeping things affordable, since this is more or less just a range toy/training tool. I plan to use a IWC Micro QD Mount custom fit into the side of an NSR rail on my Recon upper, and the rear sling attachment point will either be the QD socket in the Magpul STR stock or the Noveske QD endplate, whichever ends up balancing out better.

Unfortunately the A2 handguards on my .22LR upper don't give me the same option for using the IWC Micro QD Mount on the side. I know I could just change the handguard, but like I said, I don't want to sink a ton of money into this one - cheap and functional is what I'm aiming for. I've come up with these three options for forward QD mounts:

• Fortis Rail Attachment Point mounted as far forward as possible on the upper receiver rail for a horizontal left side QD point just behind the delta ring
    • Magpul RSA QD mounted as far forward as possible on the upper receiver rail for an angled QD point just behind the delta ring
    • IWC Top Mount QD mounted somewhere on the top of the A2 handguard for an angled QD point somewhere between the delta ring and the front sight

Which of these do you think is my best option, or does anyone have a different recommendation? Right now I'm leaning toward the Fortis RAS because it's simple and cheap. I'm just wondering if the attachment point will end up being too far reward when mounted on the receiver. The IWC TM QD will probably give me the closest replication of how my Recon will be set up, but it's also the most expensive of the three, could interfere with my hand placement, and I'm worried if the plastic handguard will hold up to the added stress. What are your thoughts?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Personally I would say without spending much more, ditch the A2 hand guard for a MOE and go the same route as your other upper with the IWC Micro QD Mount and choose wherever you want to mount it.
    Last edited by t1tan; 08-25-13 at 20:50.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by t1tan View Post
    Personally I would say without spending much more, ditch the A2 hand guard for a MOE and go the same route as your other upper with the IWC Micro QD Mount and choose wherever you want to mount it.
    Eventually I may go ahead and add an actual railed handguard of some flavor to more closely match the NSR 13.5 that's going on the RECON build, but that's a ways off for sure. I thought about the MOE, but I don't feel like it adds much functionality (for my purposes) or mimics my Recon build any better, since it lacks a top rail and its still only a 7" carbine handguard. So for right now I think I'd like to stick with the A2 guards and keep things as cheap as possible. To give you a point of reference, I'm still rocking a set of ProMag flip up sights on this thing...

I'm still really leaning toward the Fortis RAP. Anyone ever use one? Will I run into any problems installing it on the receiver rather than a railed handguard?
    Last edited by Badger89; 08-26-13 at 00:55.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have fit the IWC mounts to A2 handguards before. Just drill the hole in your handguard in the desired location, trim back the heat shield, and you might have to file the rib on the outside of the handguard a bit. But it works.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by albatrossarmament View Post
    I have fit the IWC mounts to A2 handguards before. Just drill the hole in your handguard in the desired location, trim back the heat shield, and you might have to file the rib on the outside of the handguard a bit. But it works.
    Interesting. I assume you're talking about the micro QD mounts. Do you have any pictures of how it turned out?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger89 View Post
    Interesting. I assume you're talking about the micro QD mounts. Do you have any pictures of how it turned out?
    Sure, I'll update this thread later today when I can access my photobucket account.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Sorry for the late reply, here are some pics on two Armalite middy gas rifles set up for a lefty.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the pics, looks like that turned out really nice for you. I'll definitely have to consider it.

I also got to handle a rifle with a MOE handguard the other day for the first time... I liked it. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike the A2, but the MOE seemed smaller in my hand, something I prefer having smaller hands. Now I'm also considering just going with the Magpul MOE and installing the IWC Micro mount as previously recommended. It's a bit more expensive, but not terribly so.

However, I also handled a colt 6920 with the simple 4 rail handguard and it seemed to be the same girth or slightly thinner than the MOE (uncovered, mind you). I know I don't really need a quad rail for my .22LR plinker (heck, I won't even need one for my RECON setup) but for grins and giggles, does anyone know if there's a reasonably affordable 2-peice carbine quad rail on the market with pre-machined QD sockets like some of the free float tubes have? Thanks.

Feedback Score

QD Sling Mount Options for A2 Handguards?

The Troy Industries drop in rail has QD sockets. It runs around $150 new.

You should also check out Impact Weapons Components for their QD sockets and mounts for A2 and Magpul handguards.
    Last edited by Redbeardsong; 08-31-13 at 19:13.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbeardsong View Post
    The Troy Industries drop in rail has QD sockets. It runs around $150 new.
    Ouch... Too rich for me. I'd prefer around $50, or less than $100 for sure. It's just for my .22LR. Thanks anyway though.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbeardsong View Post
    You should also check out Impact Weapons Components for their QD sockets and mounts for A2 and Magpul handguards.
    Already have, see the OP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast