Thread: 300BLK/H110 Temp Sensitivity Issues

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

300BLK/H110 Temp Sensitivity Issues

A few months ago, I was just about to give up on my 300BLK until I found a load that gave amazing results (125gr SMK/H110 @ .394moa). I took this load to the range a few days ago and was getting 3-4" groups. This gun now has a new lower with a different trigger, which I built to stay on this gun permanently instead of swapping uppers. The first lower was a Noveske GenII w/ a SSA-E, now this gun has a Northtech lower with a JP EZ Trigger. I was not expecting the same results as the previous range visit, but I wasn't expecting THAT much of a difference. Either H110 is very sensitive to temperature changes or the trigger is hitting the firing pin and striking the primer at a different pressure. Anyone know of a powder used in 300BLK that isn't as temperature sensitive? Or could the trigger make THAT much of a difference?

Feedback Score
    Google H110 temperature sensitive in 300 blk

https://www.google.com/#q=h110+tempe...ive+in+300+blk

You didn't state powder charge or type primer "BUT" a magnum type primer would be to your advantage.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I did Google it shortly after the most recent trip to the range and found that it is somewhat sensitive. I also had first-hand experience to it's sensitivity to changes in temperature, which is why I'm inquiring about a powder that is not as bad.

I've been loading 18.2gr H110 w/ CCI 400 primers. I was just about to try some CCI450 until I got these results, so I stuck with the CCI400's.
    Last edited by Onyx Z; 11-10-13 at 23:58.

Feedback Score
    Look at the photos of the primers igniting at the link below, I don't think the Remington 7 1/2 would have any problem in cold weather lighting off H110 powder.

Primers - Small Rifle Primer Study
    A Match Primer Study in the 6BR Cartridge
    By Germán A. Salazar

http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com...mer-study.html

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Likely a combination of the different lower and trigger AND temp. Any one of those things could make a difference. All three together...? 3" group size change is possible.

Hand loading is like a science experiment, only change ONE variable at a time. Otherwise you'll always be back a square one.

I assume everything else was the same? Bullet weight. COAL. Crimped. Etc?
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    The fact that none of the data for 300Blk called for a Mag primer always sat badly with me as all data for other calibers call exclusively that one useing a Mag primer. I may have to revisit H110/W296 laods in the 300 Blk with Mag primers. I stopped using it cause accuracy wasn't there and case life sucked big time.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by matemike View Post
    Likely a combination of the different lower and trigger AND temp. Any one of those things could make a difference. All three together...? 3" group size change is possible.

Hand loading is like a science experiment, only change ONE variable at a time. Otherwise you'll always be back a square one.

I assume everything else was the same? Bullet weight. COAL. Crimped. Etc?
    These were left over from the same batch, so yes, everything was the same as before.