Thread: Entry precision rifle

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Entry precision rifle

I've been into every single type of shooting except precision shooting up to this point. I now have an itch that needs to be scratched.

Basically I want an "entry" precision rifle that I can build upon as I progress in this type of shooting.

I was thinking about a rem 700 or savage 110 to start with, in either .308 or .30'06.

Help my out PR forum.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Entry build

Consider one of Mel's builds at Sniper Central as an entry:

Howa: http://www.snipercentral.com/scrifle...ml?packageid=1

Remington: http://www.snipercentral.com/scrifle...ml?packageid=2

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    - - - - -
    Last edited by DTakas; 01-03-19 at 08:52.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    DTakes, who made that barrel and stock?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    - - - - -
    Last edited by DTakas; 01-03-19 at 08:52.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I agree that a 22 can be a good trainer. If you decide to go that route, consider the following, among others:

Savage MKII FV-SR

Savage MKII TRR-SR

Savage MKII TR

CZ 455 Varmint Precision Trainer

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DTakas View Post
    Both are modified factory components from a "Wal-Mart Special"

Barrel is a 22" stainless that has been free floated, threaded, crowned, had the rear sight dovetail filled, the chamber shortened a bit to seat the bullets closer to the rifling, and Dura Coated black.

The stock was a factory birch stock that I modified myself. The adjustable LOP butt pad and cheek rest were fabricated from some scrap aluminum bar stock and various nuts and bolts I had lying around. The heat shield isn't actually attached to the stock either. The 20 MOA rail extends past the front of the receiver a bit and the heat shield is bolted to the bottom of the rail. It made the stock look cool, doesn't get in the way for disassembly and doesn't pinch the barrel that way.
    You did a good job on that rifle. I'm impressed.

Interesting discussion. I agree the 700 is highly overrated. I have had several that wouldn't shoot worth a damn including a heavy barrel 243 that shoots 6 to 8 inches at 100. The guy that fit the barrel must have been drunk and the bedding sucks. They can be made to shoot well. I see fewer and fewer 700s in precision applications as the years go by.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggity View Post
    Hey guys so I picked up a rifle because I got a great deal. So it looks like I'll be working with this one for a while.

It's a rem 700 ADL varmint 308 with a choate stock and Whitt custom brake. It also came with a shitty ass Simmons whitetail scope and a Blackhawk bipod. As well as all of the original stuff for $400 plus some .223 ammo.

I believe I need to replace the scope and trigger first an the stock is decent.

Opinions?
    You are right about the scope.
    Last edited by Suwannee Tim; 09-13-13 at 18:52.

Feedback Score
    I've been into every single type of shooting except precision shooting up to this point. I now have an itch that needs to be scratched.

Basically I want an "entry" precision rifle that I can build upon as I progress in this type of shooting.

I was thinking about a rem 700 or savage 110 to start with, in either .308 or .30'06.

Help my out PR forum.
    I would say that budget and intended use would be important info to know. how much range do you have access to regularly?

a basic factory "tactical" .308 and a fixed 10 power scope has done great for many. I prefer adjustable magnifications scopes as they offer me the ability to go low power for hunting and high powered for targets at distance.

Ive had both Remington 700s and a Savage 10 model 308 and liked them. all were able to hold groups less than an inch.

Currently I am in the process of building a custom rifle in 30-06. looking at the ballistics of it when loaded with modern powders and bullets and the 'ole '06 will get up into the 300 win mag territory - 190gr at 2900fps has been safely done which mimicks the Federal Gold Medal Match 300 WM load. I will be building a M24 clone, basically, in 30-06 and will be reloading 3 different loads, a slightly reduced M1 Garand safe load with a 165gr NBT hunting bullet, a M118LR load to mimick the .308 loads im familiar with, and the 190gr Long Range load as well.

reloading will go a long way to maximizing the accuracy of your particular rifle.
    Last edited by broylz; 09-07-13 at 23:09.

Feedback Score

Entry precision rifle

Hey guys so I picked up a rifle because I got a great deal. So it looks like I'll be working with this one for a while.

It's a rem 700 ADL varmint 308 with a choate stock and Whitt custom brake. It also came with a shitty ass Simmons whitetail scope and a Blackhawk bipod. As well as all of the original stuff for $400 plus some .223 ammo.

Opinions?

Feedback Score

Opinions?
    For that price, I’d have jumped on it too. Can’t speak for the scope and trigger as the last time I shot a 700 was back in the early 1980's, but now you can have some fun researching scopes. Once you shoot it, you can easily figure out if you want the scope or trigger first. Have fun.
    Gary
    Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency.