Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Entry precision rifle

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    I would recommend a remington 700 tactical in .308. For under $600 you can't beat it for an entry level gun.

Feedback Score
    Would it be possible/desirable to set up something like that 10/22in a Savage Bolt gun chambered in 17 hmr?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyTactical View Post
    I would recommend a remington 700 tactical in .308. For under $600 you can't beat it for an entry level gun.
    Yes you can, and easily.

Tikka Blows rems out of the water and they are even cheaper.

700's are defective from the factory, made by idiots and if not for the plortha of smiths who made their living fixing them... wouldn't even be in the conversation of the best actions.

Just about any major action out there, is better than a 700. FN/Winchester, Tikka/Sako , Howa, ect.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TurretGunner View Post
    Yes you can, and easily.

Tikka Blows rems out of the water and they are even cheaper.

700's are defective from the factory, made by idiots and if not for the plortha of smiths who made their living fixing them... wouldn't even be in the conversation of the best actions.

Just about any major action out there, is better than a 700. FN/Winchester, Tikka/Sako , Howa, ect.
    Ouch. I'm leaving this post alone but I am not so sure that the 700 action is so bad that any action produced is better.
    Originally Posted by Iraqgunz
    This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
    Ouch. I'm leaving this post alone but I am not so sure that the 700 action is so bad that any action produced is better.
    As a stock action it is. Even worked up, alot of shit has to be done to make it reliable and acceptable.

Want to guess why about 15 companies can't make 700 clone actions fast enough?

The whole precision market is ****ing retarded. Its a endles cycle of stupidity.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Entry Savage

I wanted to second the Savage as an entry level precision rifle....such as this Model 12 F/TR in .223. With a 1/7 twist it's a good shooter with 80gr Bergers and Sierra MKs.

I shoot a similar Savage in 6BR in med to 600yd range matches, although my 6BR does have an aftermarket trigger and a Shilen barrel.

Just a thought....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TurretGunner View Post
    As a stock action it is. Even worked up, alot of shit has to be done to make it reliable and acceptable.

Want to guess why about 15 companies can't make 700 clone actions fast enough?

The whole precision market is ****ing retarded. Its a endles cycle of stupidity.
    So why are there so many 700 clones and no Tikka, Howa, etc clones? There are many shooters who would greatly disagree. don't let the fanboy side of you liking your personal rifle make you look bad.

1911 pattern pistols must suck too because of all the clones and gunsmiths who have made a living fixing them as well...
    Last edited by broylz; 09-07-13 at 23:06.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggity View Post
    I've been into every single type of shooting except precision shooting up to this point. I now have an itch that needs to be scratched.

Basically I want an "entry" precision rifle that I can build upon as I progress in this type of shooting.

I was thinking about a rem 700 or savage 110 to start with, in either .308 or .30'06.

Help my out PR forum.
    I would say that budget and intended use would be important info to know. how much range do you have access to regularly?

a basic factory "tactical" .308 and a fixed 10 power scope has done great for many. I prefer adjustable magnifications scopes as they offer me the ability to go low power for hunting and high powered for targets at distance.

Ive had both Remington 700s and a Savage 10 model 308 and liked them. all were able to hold groups less than an inch.

Currently I am in the process of building a custom rifle in 30-06. looking at the ballistics of it when loaded with modern powders and bullets and the 'ole '06 will get up into the 300 win mag territory - 190gr at 2900fps has been safely done which mimicks the Federal Gold Medal Match 300 WM load. I will be building a M24 clone, basically, in 30-06 and will be reloading 3 different loads, a slightly reduced M1 Garand safe load with a 165gr NBT hunting bullet, a M118LR load to mimick the .308 loads im familiar with, and the 190gr Long Range load as well.

reloading will go a long way to maximizing the accuracy of your particular rifle.
    Last edited by broylz; 09-07-13 at 23:09.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by broylz View Post
    So why are there so many 700 clones and no Tikka, Howa, etc clones? There are many shooters who would greatly disagree. don't let the fanboy side of you liking your personal rifle make you look bad.

1911 pattern pistols must suck too because of all the clones and gunsmiths who have made a living fixing them as well...
    Or, you know, it could be like AR-15s. The basic design has been around for so long and the rifle has become so ubiquitous that it makes good business sense to make an action that will accept all those aftermarket parts.

At a certain point, though, you have to ask yourself what the cost/benefit is. You can buy a standard R700 SPS action, and then send it off to a smith along with $700 or so. For that, you can get the action trued, a side bolt release, maybe a one piece bolt and handle, and a better recoil lug. Add a quality non-jellyfish stock and you now have a great rifle for around $1500.

Out of the box, Howa has a flat bottom for easy bedding, giant integrated recoil lug, side bolt release, one piece bolt/handle, good two stage trigger, and has a reputation for being pretty damn true from the factory. It costs the same as the SPS, just add a better stock and go.

Tikka comes out of the same factory as Sako, has probably the slickest action of anyone, a 60 degree throw, awesome trigger, and also has a reputation for being very true from the factory.

There are others out there as well like FN and Steyr, but they are in a higher price bracket.

The only reason to go for the R700 for a first bolt gun is that there are so many people who work on them and accessories out there that the rifle can grow along with your shooting style. Like the AR, there is a part to do just about anything you like.

But, IMO, most serious shooters will probably end up going straight for the custom actions and not bother with picking up doner actions just to send off to a smith to have brought up to standard. With that in mind, if you don't mind the lack of variety in parts out there, there is nothing wrong with starting with something other than Remington.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrigandTwoFour View Post
    Or, you know, it could be like AR-15s. The basic design has been around for so long and the rifle has become so ubiquitous that it makes good business sense to make an action that will accept all those aftermarket parts.

At a certain point, though, you have to ask yourself what the cost/benefit is. You can buy a standard R700 SPS action, and then send it off to a smith along with $700 or so. For that, you can get the action trued, a side bolt release, maybe a one piece bolt and handle, and a better recoil lug. Add a quality non-jellyfish stock and you now have a great rifle for around $1500.

Out of the box, Howa has a flat bottom for easy bedding, giant integrated recoil lug, side bolt release, one piece bolt/handle, good two stage trigger, and has a reputation for being pretty damn true from the factory. It costs the same as the SPS, just add a better stock and go.

Tikka comes out of the same factory as Sako, has probably the slickest action of anyone, a 60 degree throw, awesome trigger, and also has a reputation for being very true from the factory.

There are others out there as well like FN and Steyr, but they are in a higher price bracket.

The only reason to go for the R700 for a first bolt gun is that there are so many people who work on them and accessories out there that the rifle can grow along with your shooting style. Like the AR, there is a part to do just about anything you like.

But, IMO, most serious shooters will probably end up going straight for the custom actions and not bother with picking up doner actions just to send off to a smith to have brought up to standard. With that in mind, if you don't mind the lack of variety in parts out there, there is nothing wrong with starting with something other than Remington.
    Exactly!

Sometime, about 30 years ago, smiths decided to start working on the 700 action.

Durring the Vietnam war, there was no offical sniper program, and some programs were started up to give them that capability. At the time, They used off the shelf Win 70's, Rem 700's and a few others.

I have no idea why the 700 got the nod, as the 70 IMO is a superior design and action, but it did.

Maybe the smiths of the day saw how much they could make? Maybe there was a time when remingtons weren't made as cheap, fast and poorly as possible?

Either way, you can see how many smiths made their bones from rems and what do you think they taught their apprentices? The military picked up the action and the rest is history.

Most smiths are lazy and are only willing to do what they KNOW they can do. Like anything, people go for the easy money. Rem will also sell bare actions which many other companies will not, so material cost is cheaper. It may be harder to work on some of the other actions, but it is worth it. Even after u have all that smith work done to your 700, there are still inherient flaws like bolt lift/ect.

If we lived in a world full of logic and reason, your base would be a 70 or tikka. They would most likley NOT need to be trued and would need minimal machining work. They industry does not make money from factory rifles that are all ready shooters.

Hell, take a factory Tikka T3 in .308 and a Trued 700 and you woudlnt know the different. Too bad Berreta does not import a heavy barreled 6.5CM/.260 anymore, or there wouldn't be a need to even send it to a smith, except to rebarrel it after its shot out.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast