Page 70 of 84 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast

Thread: V7 Weapon Systems

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Has anyone seen the titanium bolt carriers yet? Listed specs show it as being a little heavier than the Boomfab but it is cheaper.

http://www.v7weaponsystems.com/colle...tanium-carrier
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Has anyone seen the titanium bolt carriers yet? Listed specs show it as being a little heavier than the Boomfab but it is cheaper.

http://www.v7weaponsystems.com/colle...tanium-carrier
    Comes with a 9310 bolt. Meh.

They need to do a bolt in aermet with as much of a radius on the lugs as tolerances will allow. THAT will sell as long as it doesn't have teething issues like the sharps S7 bolt.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Is 9310 not a suitable bolt material? JP has been using it for years but I don't know anything about it otherwise. Ruger is also using it in the AR556 line and had factory test guns with somewhere around 20,000 rounds fired before failure.

Regardless, the V7 carrier is available with and without a bolt so the purchaser can use whichever bolt he wishes.

I talked to Joel briefly and asked him about any galling issues with ti versus a steel hammer or an aluminum upper. He says the carrier's finish will negate any concerns in this regard.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Is 9310 not a suitable bolt material? JP has been using it for years but I don't know anything about it otherwise. Ruger is also using it in the AR556 line and had factory test guns with somewhere around 20,000 rounds fired before failure.

Regardless, the V7 carrier is available with and without a bolt so the purchaser can use whichever bolt he wishes.

I talked to Joel briefly and asked him about any galling issues with ti versus a steel hammer or an aluminum upper. He says the carrier's finish will negate any concerns in this regard.
    There have been several recent failures on 9310 bolts. Markm had one recently too, IIRC.

Maybe it's the manufacturers not having the large body of knowledge in how to work with, machine, stress relieve, heat treat the 9310 for use in an AR bolt add we have for Carpenter 158.

Also, it's not the material called out in the TDP for the bolt. Only carpenter 158 is mentioned. One can find an older version of the TDP on Google docs if they look hard enough. 9310 is also significantly cheaper than carpenter 158, and can be bought in far smaller batches.

I'm not opposed to using better materials. Im opposed to substituting something for C158 that is "just as good as" without adequate research. When companies like aim surplus, palmetto state armory, etc decide to use 9310 over C158 and companies like Noveske/BCM/DD/COLT don't, that's indicative to me of which is the better material.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    Comes with a 9310 bolt. Meh.

They need to do a bolt in aermet with as much of a radius on the lugs as tolerances will allow. THAT will sell as long as it doesn't have teething issues like the sharps S7 bolt.
    It won't if they don't dick up the design. The mil-spec BCG works great. Make it dimensionally identical and know what they are doing with the heat-treat with A-100 and motor on. Simple as that.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    It won't if they don't dick up the design. The mil-spec BCG works great. Make it dimensionally identical and know what they are doing with the heat-treat with A-100 and motor on. Simple as that.
    It is that simple. You are correct. But, not everybody really knows what they are doing, unfortunately.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Their cryogenically treated C-158 bolts are where it is at, IMO. But that said I am confidant that a 9310 bolt done right is comparable to C158 after talking to a couple industry professionals I respect, Joel being one of them.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrysimons View Post
    Their cryogenically treated C-158 bolts are where it is at, IMO. But that said I am confidant that a 9310 bolt done right is comparable to C158 after talking to a couple industry professionals I respect, Joel being one of them.
    Agreed. If the 9310 bolt is done IN HOUSE at V7, or if it is guaranteed to be done perfectly to their exact specs, then it should be GTG. Anything else is a gamble.

I need to pick up one of those cryo bolts.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    Agreed. If the 9310 bolt is done IN HOUSE at V7, or if it is guaranteed to be done perfectly to their exact specs, then it should be GTG. Anything else is a gamble.

I need to pick up one of those cryo bolts.
    It's not like you can't screw C158 up...

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    It's not like you can't screw C158 up...
    Exactly.

Page 70 of 84 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast