Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you guys feel about platform uniformity?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

How do you guys feel about platform uniformity?

I currently have a working Gen4 19 that I love. I got it because I figured it would work as a all around house or CCW weapon. It would be a one stop shop for me to train with and familiarize with. I believe I should be very proficient with any tool that I would use in a defensive manner. Having the G19 as not only my range gun/house gun and carry gun would probably be best.

I've been considering getting my carry permit. At first I was thinking I would either carry the G19 or get a smaller sub compact.

Well it turns out I really don't like the glock subcompacts in any way. They feel terrible and that transfers over to how I shoot them. I also feel like the G19 would be a little big wouldn't be my best option for how I need to dress.

I've decided that ill end up carrying an M&P shield since using one.

Now here is my dilemma. I notice that I hold the Glock and the shield very differently. They shoot very differently as well. I have the option to trade my Glock for a M&P full size. Same amount of mags and same holsters. I wont be loosing anything.

I hold both M&Ps in a similar way. If I were to train with both it would be overlapping benefits. I do like the Glock a little better than the Full size M&P. I don't know if its because its what I started on or not.

I would use the M&P as my house and range gun/training tool and the Shield as a carry and training tool.

If I were to keep the Glock and train with it and get a Shield and train with that would it disrupt muscle memory and proficiency? I just wouldn't want to grab either in a bad situation and have to make that extra effort to properly implement them in different ways.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    While your reasonable assessments are very practical and you're wisely doing you're best to cover all the basics, it seems as though we may be over thinking the scenario. Practice and become comfortable with both your home and carry weapons. No rocket science involved.

Just remember that whatever you carry you want to be well versed in not just shooting it but the draw as well.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Train hard with both pistols and you won't have any problems.

The only issue I ran into over the years was mixing shooting revolvers competitively and carrying a semi-automatic pistol as a service weapon. That issue was corrected by more intensive training.

Pick what you are the most proficient with for both tasks and train with them. Don't overthink the issue.

Good luck and Godspeed!
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsop View Post
    I currently have a working Gen4 19 that I love. I got it because I figured it would work as a all around house or CCW weapon. It would be a one stop shop for me to train with and familiarize with. I believe I should be very proficient with any tool that I would use in a defensive manner. Having the G19 as not only my range gun/house gun and carry gun would probably be best.

I've been considering getting my carry permit. At first I was thinking I would either carry the G19 or get a smaller sub compact.

Well it turns out I really don't like the glock subcompacts in any way. They feel terrible and that transfers over to how I shoot them. I also feel like the G19 would be a little big wouldn't be my best option for how I need to dress.

I've decided that ill end up carrying an M&P shield since using one.

Now here is my dilemma. I notice that I hold the Glock and the shield very differently. They shoot very differently as well. I have the option to trade my Glock for a M&P full size. Same amount of mags and same holsters. I wont be loosing anything.

I hold both M&Ps in a similar way. If I were to train with both it would be overlapping benefits. I do like the Glock a little better than the Full size M&P. I don't know if its because its what I started on or not.

I would use the M&P as my house and range gun/training tool and the Shield as a carry and training tool.

If I were to keep the Glock and train with it and get a Shield and train with that would it disrupt muscle memory and proficiency? I just wouldn't want to grab either in a bad situation and have to make that extra effort to properly implement them in different ways.
    It seems to me that the opportunity to trade the Glock for the M&P and come out even, plus the fact that you feel you grip the two weapons differently, pretty much answers your question.

The same platform makes a lot of sense. Commonality of parts and controls, as well as ergonomics. Especially since you feel comfortable with the Shield as a CCW weapon.

A lot of other folks do successfully carry differing pistol platforms, the question you've got to ask yourself is are you going to lose anything in a gunfight by doing so? A rapid first round HIT will hopefully finish the gun fight, so given the opportunity, I'd just as soon have the same first round press on all my handguns.

So what are you waiting for?
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 09-02-13 at 20:29.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    So what are you waiting for?
    That I don't like the M&P full size as much as the Glock. The Glock as a standalone seems more versatile. Maybe its because I'm more familiar with the it.
    Honestly I have no desire to ever own a G17 or any other variety.

I'm a new pistol shooter and don't have the background of shooting them all my life like I do with rifles. As I'm building my skill set and habits I just want to make sure I do it right.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    That I don't like the M&P full size as much as the Glock. The Glock as a standalone seems more versatile. Maybe its because I'm more familiar with the it.
    Honestly I have no desire to ever own a G17 or any other variety.

I'm a new pistol shooter and don't have the background of shooting them all my life like I do with rifles. As I'm building my skill set and habits I just want to make sure I do it right.
    Roger that. The manual of arms is close to the same for both pistols. Grip, sight acquistion, trigger manipulation and magazine exchanges are pretty much the same with most semi-automatic pistols. The fact that you are asking questions shows that you are aware of the differences. I would not worry too much about it.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    Roger that. The manual of arms is close to the same for both pistols. Grip, sight acquistion, trigger manipulation and magazine exchanges are pretty much the same with most semi-automatic pistols. The fact that you are asking questions shows that you are aware of the differences. I would not worry too much about it.

Exactly. Be aware but not needlessly overwhelmed.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Re: How do you guys feel about platform uniformity?

What are your dress restrictions that make a G19 difficult?

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    What are your dress restrictions that make a G19 difficult?

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.
    Business casual mostly. Pretty form fitting and well pressed. Just mocking it up around the house the G19 prints pretty bad. Not just above the belt but under the slacks as well.

So I'm getting the impression that being that I'm aware of the differences I should be able to train around them? Seems pretty sensible. I guess if I know my weaknesses I can train around them.

So other people's main training weapon is much different from their main carry? I can't see myself wanting to shoot the shield nearly as much as the G19 or M&P.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Business casual mostly. Pretty form fitting and well pressed. Just mocking it up around the house the G19 prints pretty bad. Not just above the belt but under the slacks as well.

So I'm getting the impression that being that I'm aware of the differences I should be able to train around them? Seems pretty sensible. I guess if I know my weaknesses I can train around them.

So other people's main training weapon is much different from their main carry? I can't see myself wanting to shoot the shield nearly as much as the G19 or M&P.
    Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire! I would dry fire the Shield until it was worn down to a nub, then buy another one. If you can master the Shield, operating the Glock 19 will be a breeze.
    Train 2 Win

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast