Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you guys feel about platform uniformity?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Re: How do you guys feel about platform uniformity?

Tried shooting a g26 with the +2?

sent from mah gun,using my sights

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Guys that carry in suits strap their gats on for fitting.
    I don't know any that carry anything smaller than a G19.

For polo shirt type wear, a good IWB appendix hides very well.

My input; if you're going to carry a gun, carry one that carries enough onboard to solve problems that one carries a gun for.

Otherwise, go with a J-frame.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Guys that carry in suits strap their gats on for fitting.
    I don't know any that carry anything smaller than a G19.

For polo shirt type wear, a good IWB appendix hides very well.

My input; if you're going to carry a gun, carry one that carries enough onboard to solve problems that one carries a gun for.

Otherwise, go with a J-frame.
    Good points. I like to carry a J Frame in warm weather.......and a knife.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    OP - my response was based on this:

"Now here is my dilemma. I notice that I hold the Glock and the shield very differently. They shoot very differently as well. I have the option to trade my Glock for a M&P full size. Same amount of mags and same holsters. I wont be loosing anything.

I hold both M&Ps in a similar way. If I were to train with both it would be overlapping benefits. I do like the Glock a little better than the Full size M&P. I don't know if its because its what I started on or not."

While I don't know exactly what you mean by those statements, I took it to mean you pointed the weapons differently as in natural point of aim.

Taking that thought process a little bit further, you seem to like the shield and that will be your primary carry weapon - why wouldn't you want all your practice to be as close to the same as possible?

I agree that if you shoot and dry fire the Shield and the G19 extensively you will become familiar with both. The question is will you be both equally familiar, and as good as you can possibly be with both weapons?

I get that some folks like to shoot, a lot, with different weapons, I'm that way also. But I don't fool myself into thinking that I am going to shoot as good fast, under pressure, any other pistol then I am with the Glock that I spend the majority of the time shooting.

That is my thought process.

Good luck in whatever you choose.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 09-03-13 at 16:03.

Feedback Score
    I use Glock, M&P, and J-frame revolvers and shoot them all proficiently. Like others have posted, you just have to train with them. Then switching back and forth won't be a percieved problem.

Feedback Score

How do you guys feel about platform uniformity?

I carried a J-Frame for years and recently went back to a semi-auto. At first it was the Shield, then I gave the Glock 19 a try. I haven't touched my shield since.

My main complaint with the Shield were the sharp edges of the rear sight. The 10-8 sight may have solved that issue, but I haven't got around to trying it out.

I have found a glock 19 in a Raven VG2 holster felt just as good as a shield in an INCOG. I also have an INCOG for the glock, but the vg2 feels better.

I recently attended a wedding where the locals were on a manhunt for a shooting suspect. In 100 degree heat, I was able to conceal my glock with my shirt tucked in around it. I had the shirt slightly untucked to cover the rubber belt loop. I'm a big guy, so appendix carry doesn't usually work. I carried more in the 2:00 position. No issues with this setup.

Feedback Score
    I am a big fan of a using the same manaual of arm's and having weapon commonaility. Same caliber and mag interchangeability.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I carry a Shield in 9mm in the summer with shorts and t-shirts, OWB, or IWB depending on how I'm retaining water that day. And I carry a G19 EVERY other day of the year.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    I think there is something to be said for uniformity. If you don't have the time/$$$/whatever to train on multiple platforms, it makes sense to be proficient and familiar on one platform.

Very few of us are going to be faced with a stress scenario where we have to employ knowledge of various platforms.

I would switch over to M&P's from my glocks if it wasn't for the mag situation. I also shoot glocks decently well. Got rid of the subcompacts, did not shoot the 27 well. I now carry a shield for CCW.

My 2 cents is, carry and shoot what works for you. Learn the differences. good luck

Feedback Score
    I'm in the process of selling my M1A Loaded for the purpose of uniformity. For anything serious I would use my 1 of my AR's, Glock's or 870 (although I struggle to see what role the 870 would really play). All of my other guns are just for hunting, shooting and fun. For the OP's purposes I would standardize on either the M&P or Glock platforms.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast