Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Unity Tactical EXO

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cylindros View Post
    So I'm guessing here, but it looks as though it won't fit in the Raven Holster? I assume this is intended only for carbine mounted applications? Great idea, I have been really impressed with Unity's forward thinking designs.
    I am sure somebody at one point will make a WML holster compatible w/the EXO b/c it makes the body of the light too wide to fit in my Raven. You are right in that it is intended for carbine/shotgun use but like a lot of Unity's other stuff it can be used in multiple ways. Like the EXO in this case on a handgun.

-Jax
    Last edited by jaxman7; 09-11-13 at 17:01.

"Despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems."
    -Ryan Job

Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    "Elite" designations come from the things that you DO in life, and not from the things that you buy along the way. AC

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Hey guys,

First off, thank you for the kudos. Thanks to M4C for being a great community where we can share this. We worked hard on this thing and are really excited to get it out. We have been busy shipping our ATOM slides and that has taken priority. Once we get all of those orders fulfilled we will be making a formal announcement.

I can confirm that the price posted earlier is accurate.

It was originally intended for long guns but we are looking forward to see all of the way customers end up using it.

Please let me know if you have any questions that I may be able to answer.

Last edited by goteron; 09-11-13 at 18:55.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thumbs up

Looking forward to these coming out, I need a couple.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Fellas I've had a couple of guys contact me asking if the protective wings hinder switch manipulation. Especially while switching to constant on. It doesn't in the least. I made a short video showing switch activation w/the EXO. It shows thumb over transitions, thumb inline activation, & constant on.

I apologize for the very poor video quality. Didn't know it was as poor as it was until after I posted it on YouTube.

Link fixed....hopefully:

http://youtu.be/M_QQNuWjls8

-Jax
    Last edited by jaxman7; 09-17-13 at 11:22. Reason: URL correction

-Ryan Job

"Elite" designations come from the things that you DO in life, and not from the things that you buy along the way. AC

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Link doesn't work for me.

ETA: Good link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_QQNuWjls8
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxman7 View Post
    Fellas I've had a couple of guys contact me asking if the protective wings hinder switch manipulation. Especially while switching to constant on. It doesn't in the least. I made a short video showing switch activation w/the EXO. It shows thumb over transitions, thumb inline activation, & constant on.

I apologize for the very poor video quality. Didn't know it was as poor as it was until after I posted it on YouTube.

http://m.youtube.com/?rdm=v7ppr4k9&y...?v=M_QQNuWjls8

-Jax
    "A 'sporting purpose' is what we use to describe actions taken with a football." -S.W.A.T. Magazine

"...if you are cruising the ghetto looking for crack and tranny hookers and you shoot their transgender pimp for staring at you the wrong way, then yeah, you might have a problem." -Iraqgunz

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Thanks man. Scene 1 Take 2:

http://youtu.be/M_QQNuWjls8

-Ryan Job

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Well it's been 2 weeks since Unity Tactical sent me the pre-production unit of the EXO and I am still of the mindset that these will be standard on any future rifle that has an X300/U mounted on 'ze' top.

I will go through a few highlights and some questions other have with it as well.

First off it's primary function is to protect the rocker switches on the X series from being accidentally discharged. Something I had done quite alot my self a couple of years ago and decided that the X300 was not for me on a rifle. So I went back to the Scout series. For pure momentary light activation there is nothing better to me than the X series but moving around barricades, transitions, etc. the light just accidentally got switched on too often when I didn't want it to.

The EXO cures this altogether. So the Unity boys definitely accomplished what they set out to do. You can actually take the light by itself with the EXO mounted push down on the bottom on the light-on concrete for example-and it will not turn on. It takes a deliberate motion to activate but does not hinder operation. The protective wings act as sort of a funnel for your thumb. For a demonstration here is the video I put up a few posts ago. Again apologies for the crummy quality:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_QQNuWjls8

OK some questions that were asked:

Does the EXO impede opening the battery compartment in any way?

No it does not. The door slightly drags the sides of the protective wings but in no way impedes switching out batteries.

Second concern: Another asked does the EXO help with the problem of the sometimes heard of plastic latch breaking on the X series of lights. Answer: not sure if Unity directly attacked this particular problem but I can guarantee you that goteron and crew have beat the crap out of their EXOs and the test lights attached to them. I've seen a pic of one of the test lights and it had what seemed like half of the finish missing and it looked like a dremel tool with a grinding stone set on 10K RPM was dragged all over the EXO. These guys test the crap out of their product...and then let me try to break it every once in a while.

It is made out of reinforced impact modified polymer and it is quite strong. I can just about guarantee you that it is stronger that the factory clamps that the Surefire comes with. I do know that the rear portion is significantly thicker than the factory ones:

Factory measurements front and rear:

And the EXO. I didn't take a pic of the front of the EXO. It is the same width as the factory one. Rear-almost 50% thicker:

All measurements were taken at the base of the clamp. Where it meets the body of the light.

Mounting is quite simple:

Unscrew the 6 screws. Remove the old clamps. Place the EXO to the side of the X300/U at a 90 degree angle with the open portion facing the light. Press on until you go no further and rotate onto the body. Screw back down. That's it.

The EXO also has a small rise directly behind the latch to minimize damage to that critical area of the lights body. Small touch but very nice.

Mounted on Unity Tactical's Fustion Hub & forward extension rail with a shorter rail or short rail/SBR combo the EXO puts the cherry on top of one killer setup:

Try one fellas when they are soon available. Seriously doubt you'll be putting one up on the EE. Street price for the standard EXO should be $24.95 & $29.99 for the one with the optional rubber lens cap (another small but great anti-carbon gunking touch. If you missed it in previous posts they will also be available in FDE color as well.

-Jax
    Last edited by jaxman7; 09-22-13 at 13:07.

-Ryan Job

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    If you don't shoot thumb over this is a fantastic setup!:

Untitled by jax11b, on Flickr

Untitled by jax11b, on Flickr
    I don't understand the comment in red. I shoot thumb-over-bore and that is how I run my X300. I just have to run the stock out another notch or two to get the same leverage (albeit, yes, I do give up some "absolute" leverage over the weapon).
    Are you referring to the placement of the FSB, or the EXO preventing somehow usage, etc?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Well it's been 2 weeks since Unity Tactical sent me the pre-production unit of the EXO and I am still of the mindset that these will be standard on any future rifle that has an X300/U mounted on 'ze' top.

I will go through a few highlights and some questions other have with it as well.

First off it's primary function is to protect the rocker switches on the X series from being accidentally discharged. Something I had done quite alot my self a couple of years ago and decided that the X300 was not for me on a rifle. So I went back to the Scout series. For pure momentary light activation there is nothing better to me than the X series but moving around barricades, transitions, etc. the light just accidentally got switched on too often when I didn't want it to.

The EXO cures this altogether. So the Unity boys definitely accomplished what they set out to do. You can actually take the light by itself with the EXO mounted push down on the bottom on the light-on concrete for example-and it will not turn on. It takes a deliberate motion to activate but does not hinder operation. The protective wings act as sort of a funnel for your thumb. For a demonstration here is the video I put up a few posts ago. Again apologies for the crummy quality:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_QQNuWjls8

OK some questions that were asked:

Does the EXO impede opening the battery compartment in any way?

No it does not. The door slightly drags the sides of the protective wings but in no way impedes switching out batteries.

Second concern: Another asked does the EXO help with the problem of the sometimes heard of plastic latch breaking on the X series of lights. Answer: not sure if Unity directly attacked this particular problem but I can guarantee you that goteron and crew have beat the crap out of their EXOs and the test lights attached to them. I've seen a pic of one of the test lights and it had what seemed like half of the finish missing and it looked like a dremel tool with a grinding stone set on 10K RPM was dragged all over the EXO. These guys test the crap out of their product...and then let me try to break it every once in a while.

It is made out of reinforced impact modified polymer and it is quite strong. I can just about guarantee you that it is stronger that the factory clamps that the Surefire comes with. I do know that the rear portion is significantly thicker than the factory ones:

Factory measurements front and rear:

And the EXO. I didn't take a pic of the front of the EXO. It is the same width as the factory one. Rear-almost 50% thicker:

All measurements were taken at the base of the clamp. Where it meets the body of the light.

Mounting is quite simple:

Unscrew the 6 screws. Remove the old clamps. Place the EXO to the side of the X300/U at a 90 degree angle with the open portion facing the light. Press on until you go no further and rotate onto the body. Screw back down. That's it.

The EXO also has a small rise directly behind the latch to minimize damage to that critical area of the lights body. Small touch but very nice.

Mounted on Unity Tactical's Fustion Hub & forward extension rail with a shorter rail or short rail/SBR combo the EXO puts the cherry on top of one killer setup:

Try one fellas when they are soon available. Seriously doubt you'll be putting one up on the EE. Street price for the standard EXO should be $24.95 & $29.99 for the one with the optional rubber lens cap (another small but great anti-carbon gunking touch. If you missed it in previous posts they will also be available in FDE color as well.

-Jax
    My question is...how does it fit on a 1913 rail? My Surefire mounts required that I "run it up and down the rail a few times" before it was truly a QD setup. Is this mount the same way? Will it "lap to fit" like the Surefire material/rails will, or what?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    WS6, I think jax means you need to break your thumb "over" bore to actually activate the light.

Just like the stock rails, you can loosen the screws 1/4-1/2 turn to achieve the best fit. Just like the stock rails it is designed to have some adjustment for different rails.

Thanks

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast