Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Afghan finalized

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NoveskeFan View Post
    Nice rifle. Not to change subjects too much, but what makes a rifle "Afghan" style vs. "Recce" style?
    About 1.5 inches. Recce rifles generally use 16" barrels and Afghans have 14.5" barrels.

Feedback Score
    Looks great, i like the color.

Feedback Score
    Nice build!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Nice rifle man!!

Feedback Score
    Nice rifle. Range report?

Feedback Score
    I would also like to see a range report on your build. I was looking at the rainier arms barrels and it would be nice to see what kind of accuracy you can get from one. Either way your build looks awesoe!!

Feedback Score
    I am a fan of low powered variables.

I ran a 1.5-5 illuminated reticle Leupold for years on my M4A1 while working in the middle east.

I kept it on 1.5 x and used it like a RDO. Then if I needed to make an extended shot, or (most often) take a look at some dude down the street to see if he was holding a cell phone, radio or whatever in his hand, I would dial it up. Overall it worked out extremely well. This ability to dial up, made it a better tool, capable of fast close shots, and target discrimination at extended ranges.

One thing to note: I specifically chose a VX-III over the MK IV. The reason is because the 1.5-5 MK IV has exposed turrets. Exposed turrets are fine for a precision rifle, but for a carbine/Recce rifle, I wanted protected turrets. The chances of dialing up elevation during an engagement with my carbine were slim to none. That is what I had an SR-25 and M24 for. The fact of the matter is that quite often rifles get tons of gear and kit piled on them inside cramped vehicles and I did not want exposed turrets getting bumped and thus throwing off my zero. I never once lost a zero with the covered turrets on the VX-III. Typical rough handling and daily usage proved this to be a solid decision.

On a practical side, for home in the states, it is accurate enough to head shoot grouse:

The low powered variable is a great, flexible optic for carbines.
    THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345