Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1911/.45 Recommendations Please

Feedback Score
    If I had it to do over again...
    I'd buy a Springfield mil spec and send it to good gunsmith (e.g. EGW, Berryhill, or any number of others) for a reliability job. I'd have the fire control parts and ejector replaced with tool steel.
    You would have a reliable, albeit plain Jane, basic fighting pistol.
    You'd have about $1000 in the weapon.
    If you go to $1500 price point, you have a lot of good choices.
    But for $1000, the approach I outlined above would be what I'd do.
    Good luck.
    Stay safe.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Colt.

Take a look at the "1991s."
    "Think you used enough dynamite there Butch?"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by COJAM View Post
    I have a Glock 19, M&P .40, Sig Sp2340.Now I need a 1911 to complete my little armory. I'm looking for recommendations on a 4 inch 1911 all steel or polymer frame.It doesn't matter if it's single stack or high cap. just as long as it can fit my average size hands. I don't want to spend over $1000.Thanks in advanced.
    I hate to step outside of the box, but you said "or a polymer frame". Are you refering to the polymer 1911's like the Wilson's and Kimber's? If not, for under 1k a solid plastic .45 can be had in a M&P 45 or a HK45. Both are being released in compact models this year and both of these pistols are solid performers for under $1000.

On the flip side, I believe it is un- American to not own at least one 1911.

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar 319 View Post
    On the flip side, I believe it is un- American to not own at least one 1911.
    Hmmm ... Brazilian-born 1911 or Made-in-the-USA M&P? Hmmmm ...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Unfortunately if you are going to get a good 1911 ready for serious use, you will need to spend significantly more funds to ensure a 100% reliable and durable weapon. Right now, about the only relatively easily obtainable 1911 that I would feel comfortable purchasing for duty/carry use would be the SA Professional 5" barrel, single stack, steel frame..and even those are sometimes in need of a little tweaking.
    +1.

Theres nothing like a fine tuned 1911...but they don't come easy, and certainly not for less than $1000.

Mine (a Baer) set me back $1700...but its worth every penny (to me).

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I second the Colt Commander or Springer Champion. Although I too prefer a 5" Gov't model. I just personally never gained anything from the shorter slide.

-RD62

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Thanks guys for all the replies , I'm going to write down several of your recommendations and hit the gun stores tomorrow and see how they feel, and check out the quality of these 1911's that you gentlemen suggested. As I stated in my original post I definitely want a 4 inch, and nothing larger than 4.25". It will not be my carry gun,my M&P .40 and G19 have those . It's more or less that I don't have one and would like to add to my arsenal and increase my Knowledge on a quality 1911. Thanks again fellas for your wisdom.

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys for all the replies , I'm going to write down several of your recommendations and hit the gun stores tomorrow and see how they feel, and check out the quality of these 1911's that you gentlemen suggested. As I stated in my original post I definitely want a 4 inch, and nothing larger than 4.25". It will not be my carry gun,my M&P .40 and G19 have those . It's more or less that I don't have one and would like to add to my arsenal and increase my Knowledge on a quality 1911. Thanks again fellas for your wisdom.
    Bust the bank and get a NHC T3. Absolutely the sweetest 4.25" 1911 I can imagine.

Tim

ToddG Guest
    As I stated in my original post I definitely want a 4 inch, and nothing larger than 4.25". It will not be my carry gun,my M&P .40 and G19 have those . It's more or less that I don't have one and would like to add to my arsenal and increase my Knowledge on a quality 1911.
    If it's not going to be a carry weapon, I would strongly urge you to reconsider the barrel length issue. As many experienced people here have already said, you are much more likely to get a satisfactory 5" gun than 4.25" gun, especially at that price point.

Feedback Score
    I'd certainly be reluctant to use anything less than a 5" gun, allthou they CAN in limited instances be made to run. I'd run a 4" gun if it was from someone like Heinie, but barring that no.

Doc's recommendations are certainly relevant.

Hell, I'm reluctant to use a 1911 AT ALL anymore, simply as a cost issue. Its really too bad because in terms of shootability there is a LOT to like there. The first time I shot one it instantly felt 'at home' in my hand.

Whatever you decide to do, make sure you do your homework. Its not for the faint of heart Both the homework, and the platform.
    "So have your buddy get a box of stray cats and try to get a good sight picture while he is throwing the cats at you... naked." - KLD

Get yours news at Presscheck.org!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast