Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kel-Tec KSG Initial Impressions

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
    Are these not reliable? I like my 870.... worth the trade up?
    I wouldn't say they're all that reliable. Nutnfancy, who's somewhat of a keltec fanboy, criticized the selector lever as it was showing a lot of wear after only a day's worth of shooting.

Tim from The Military Arms channel on youtube did a review on one. The one he got was completely unreliable. On top of that, when he contact keltec, they didn't even bother to respond to him.........that is until he posted the video of it failing. Then they contacted him right away to get it resolved.

You have companies like S&W, springfield armory, BCM etc who take care of their customers. All of their customers. Doesn't matter who you are. Then there's companies like keltec who only seem to have great customer service when said service is publicized.

If you wanted to get one IN ADDITION to your 870, then that's fine. You can play around with it, but still have something you can fall back on that you know will work. However i would never give up an 870 just to get 6 more rounds in some shotgun that might work reliably or might be a piece of shit that you can't even get fixed in a timely manner.

Feedback Score
    27 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by badness View Post
    I wouldn't say they're all that reliable. Nutnfancy, who's somewhat of a keltec fanboy, criticized the selector lever as it was showing a lot of wear after only a day's worth of shooting.

Tim from The Military Arms channel on youtube did a review on one. The one he got was completely unreliable. On top of that, when he contact keltec, they didn't even bother to respond to him.........that is until he posted the video of it failing. Then they contacted him right away to get it resolved.

You have companies like S&W, springfield armory, BCM etc who take care of their customers. All of their customers. Doesn't matter who you are. Then there's companies like keltec who only seem to have great customer service when said service is publicized.

If you wanted to get one IN ADDITION to your 870, then that's fine. You can play around with it, but still have something you can fall back on that you know will work. However i would never give up an 870 just to get 6 more rounds in some shotgun that might work reliably or might be a piece of shit that you can't even get fixed in a timely manner.
    Geesh, I mean, for another $600 just get a Benelli M4 and throw a full length mag tube.

If you need more than eight shell of 00 Buck being fired semi automatically you need something other than a shotgun.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Armati View Post
    There is no good way to reload it. A regular shotgun can be quickly topped off while on the move without even looking at the gun. Everyone I see who tries to load the KSG has to stop, set the gun down on it's butt, look at the well, and carefully insert each round.
    I got pretty good at just angling the shotgun muzzle towards the ground just right and allowing gravity to position the shell while I shoved it home with a thumb. That said though.. not as fast or easy as loading a conventional shotgun on move.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Not to be a complete snob, but it's a KelTec, right?

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Not to be a complete snob, but it's a KelTec, right?
    There's nothing wrong with being a snob.

But, you're right, it is a Kel-Tec. And, as a snob, there is nothing snobbish about that observation.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The reloading issue becomes more apparent when you take a shotgun class or course of fire that requires you to 'run-n-gun'.

Switching to slugs is another issue. Try it and you will see what I mean.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    There is no good way to reload it.
    Practice.

I had a difficult time for the first few days as well, mainly because it is "different" than other shotguns on the market. If you practice reloading it can be very easy to reload. It just takes bit of time to get used to doing it the way you are forced to in this design.

Switching mag tubes on this gun is the same as a reload on most shotguns, if you look at it that way it is the easiest shotgun to reload.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ptmccain View Post
    Geesh, I mean, for another $600 just get a Benelli M4 and throw a full length mag tube.

If you need more than eight shell of 00 Buck being fired semi automatically you need something other than a shotgun.
    You're better off with a Mossberg 930 SPX. A Benelli falls under 922r once you extend the capacity past 5 rounds, so $600 plus more for US parts. For a tactical foreign shot gun, I went with a Molot VEPR 12 instead.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ezveedub View Post
    You're better off with a Mossberg 930 SPX. A Benelli falls under 922r once you extend the capacity past 5 rounds, so $600 plus more for US parts. For a tactical foreign shot gun, I went with a Molot VEPR 12 instead.
    Sheesh, I dont think I have EVER seen anyone with any experience with Semi Auto shotguns recommend the 930 over the Benelli M line. BTW, Benelli M4's can be made 922r compliant for very, very cheap.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ezveedub View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    Sheesh, I dont think I have EVER seen anyone with any experience with Semi Auto shotguns recommend the 930 over the Benelli M line. BTW, Benelli M4's can be made 922r compliant for very, very cheap.
    While it does take some money for 922r for M4 & M2s, it's not $600 to do that.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast