Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The 3-Gunner's rifle

Feedback Score

The 3-Gunner's rifle

I'm curious what it is that the majority seem to be an 18in barrel with a fixed stock and 1-6 scope (and no iron sights).

Again, just curious how it seems to have come to that basic configuration.

<-- knows nothing about 3-gun
    Dan Miami, FL

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by danpass View Post
    I'm curious what it is that the majority seem to be an 18in barrel with a fixed stock and 1-6 scope (and no iron sights).

Simple. The 18 inch barrel is the shortest barrel that will run with a rifle gas system. A rifle gas system has the softest shooting recoil impulse. You don't need back up irons on a match rifle they are just extra weight. Off set sights are ok and can be helpful on some stages. The 1-4,5,6 scope is the most versatile optic class out there. We shoot from in your face hoser stages out to 500 yards. Take a look at my you tube videos for some three gun matches and you will see what we shoot.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Barrel and stock-Recoil impulse, you want it smoooooooth. I have an adjustable stock, but it's an A5.

No irons-Because if your optic goes down in a stage you can flip up back ups, but you'll already be screwed for time anyway. Not so with off sets, which some guys like, but they're really not intended as back ups anyway for the guys I know that have them.

1-6---Because it's more better than 1-4.

IMHO
    HIPPIES SMELL

Feedback Score
    Fixed stock because...well...it's one last thing to have set wrong, and I prefer the A2 length. Also, the fixed stock seems to counter the weight of the 18" barrel pretty well.

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    3 Gun is usually a very accepting sport where we encourage everyone to just run what they have. The experienced shooters are more than willing to give you a hand and answer any questions you may have.

Hell, just ask Duane Liptak from MagPul(formerly PoliceStore.com). The first year for the Pro/Am 3gun at Rock Castle in Kentucky I was squadded with the Brownells/Sinclair/Police Store crew and Duane damn near won the event running an AK74 and Sagia.

He's also a super nice guy.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by danpass View Post

danpass, I don't mean to hijack your thread. But along the same lines, why does it seem like most good rifle barrels used in 3 gun (the stainless steel "match" barrels) have a 1 in 8 twist, and not 1 in 7 twist?

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mamma View Post
    danpass, I don't mean to hijack your thread. But along the same lines, why does it seem like most good rifle barrels used in 3 gun (the stainless steel "match" barrels) have a 1 in 8 twist, and not 1 in 7 twist?

Joe Mamma
    Because they can stabilize the 75-77gr bullets while shooting them faster.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    Simple. The 18 inch barrel is the shortest barrel that will run with a rifle gas system. A rifle gas system has the softest shooting recoil impulse. You don't need back up irons on a match rifle they are just extra weight. Off set sights are ok and can be helpful on some stages. The 1-4,5,6 scope is the most versatile optic class out there. We shoot from in your face hoser stages out to 500 yards. Take a look at my you tube videos for some three gun matches and you will see what we shoot.
    Pat
    Quote Originally Posted by 59Bassman View Post
    Fixed stock because...well...it's one last thing to have set wrong, and I prefer the A2 length. Also, the fixed stock seems to counter the weight of the 18" barrel pretty well.

That pretty much says it all. The funny thing is a 3 gun rifle is really the gun most people should be buying rather than an M4 like the military uses. Hopefully we can educate the consumer and get them out to a match at the same time.

Feedback Score
    It's interesting because I've been planning out an 18in precision build using a PRS stock and then recently saw someone using a PRS stock for their 3-gun rifle ......... so it got me thinking lol. I don't have the PRS but thought it was considered a rather heavy stock, which was not a factor for my precision intent.

In the meantime I may as well try it out just using my 14.5 (my 20in A2 is my highpower rifle and it weights 13lbs )

The 14.5 (pinned out)

Last edited by danpass; 09-23-13 at 09:24.
    Dan Miami, FL

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Tischauser View Post
    The funny thing is a 3 gun rifle is really the gun most people should be buying rather than an M4 like the military uses. Hopefully we can educate the consumer and get them out to a match at the same time.

Isn't that the truth! I love the look on people's faces when they shoot one of my match guns next to the their M4gery.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast