Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best magazines for steel cased ammo

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Best magazines for steel cased ammo

Greetings,

Are polymer mags like Pmag or Thermold better than GI aluminum or stainless steel when using steel-cased ammo?

Cheers

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I've never heard of it making a difference and can't think of why it would. What made you come up with that question?
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I've never heard of it making a difference and can't think of why it would. What made you come up with that question?

Steel-cased ammo seems to slide better out of polymer mags easier when unloading them.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have gone through about 6000 rounds of wolf in the past two years. All through Pmags. No issues.

Feedback Score
    I shoot TulAmmo with Pmags no problems here.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Personally, I think its an excellent question. I can easily see where one could imagine it to be one way or the other.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowspirit View Post
    Steel-cased ammo seems to slide better out of polymer mags easier when unloading them.
    Any ammo does IME.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    I've been getting a lot of failures with Troy Battlemags and steel-case (polycoated) Wolf / Tula ammo.
    (This was in .223/5.56 30 round magazines).

The Troy Battlemags internally are kinda "sticky" with the steel cases, and when full (>20 rounds) the spring can't overcome the internal friction and the rounds won't push-up at the top.
    When I got my first Troy Battlemag I thought it was a fluke, bought another to try and it appears to be a problem across the entire line: wolf /Tula ammo sticks to the insides of the mag and won't feed.
    I've even seen the problem happen with some Brass cased ammo when absolutely full (30 rounds). Troy magazines are a no-go for me.

Feedback Score
    84 (100%)
    I've shot thousands of rounds thru various mags and haven't seen a difference. It is easier to load/unload in polymer mags though.

Feedback Score
    I shoot steel and brass, sometimes mixed, in both. I haven't noticed a difference. But, in full disclosure Ive never used thermold mags. USGI and pmags are what I use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast