Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini RDS choices for pistols...

Feedback Score

Mini RDS choices for pistols...

Help me with my homework... I need to find out what the two most popular/preferred mini RDS setups are for autoloaders. Do no worry about fit, how they mount, machining the slide or any of that... what are your druthers?

I am looking for the best choice in two categories:

1. Top end - the best choice for a sight regardless of price.

2. Best deal - the choice for a MRDS that is priced towards the lower end... but no compromise, no junk.

Thanks for your help!
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Are you on LF? There is a good thread over there with lots of info?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Cat#1-Trijicon RMR or Leopold Deltapoint

Cat#2-Burris FastFire3

Sent via Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    - - - - -
    Last edited by DTakas; 01-03-19 at 10:08.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DTakas View Post
    Top end most toughest most rugged and probably the most popular would be the Trijicon RMR.

Best priced good quality alternative (in my personal opinion) is the old Trijicon Red Dot, still available from JP Enterprises as the JPoint. Not as rugged as the RMR but still a good quality sight. The Jpoint is much smaller and sleeker, and it has a notch built into the body below the glass which when properly milled into the slide acts like the rear sight notch (that actually matches the height of the factory sights) eliminating the need for a new rear sight dovetail and suppressor height sights.
    ^^^^ This is also my experience.
    "I would rather be the hammer than the anvil."- Rommel

Owner: Hangar 18 Custom Coatings

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I am partial to the T1 ATOM combo. It's bulletproof
    Kiowa pilot turned Hooker.

Feedback Score
    High End- Trijicon RMR
    Low End - Fast Fire 3

However......"buy once, cry once".....I would not trust the FF3 on anything but a range toy. I had to return two of them before I said "screw it" and got a refund. The auto adjust on my first FF3 didn't work, and the auto-off didn't work on the second FF3 I had.

Moving on......I'm partial to the RMR.....particularly the 6.5 MOA RM02. No buttons to mess with, auto adjust works wonderfully......

Some of the older LED RMRs had issues.....however, if your RMR has a data matrix barcode on the right side, it's a newer model with the reinforced electronics and latest improvements.

If you hate batteries, go with the Dual Illuminated models...just be aware of their limitations. I have pistols with both, and prefer the LED so far.

Last edited by Airborne Infantryman; 09-25-13 at 02:30.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Airborne Infantryman View Post
    Moving on......I'm partial to the RMR.....particularly the 6.5 MOA RM02. No buttons to mess with, auto adjust works wonderfully......
    You can lose the dot with the auto adjust and dual illuminated RMR's.

With the manual adjusted units you can crank up the dot brightness so you do not lose it.

Feedback Score
    ...if your RMR has a data matrix barcode on the right side, it's a newer model with the reinforced electronics and latest improvements.
    There were also some shipped that had a sticker on top with that same barcode (2D barcode) before they got their laser engraver capability up and running.
    FFL Type 07

"I have learned wisdom can be as simple as substituting facts for assumptions."

Feedback Score
    I recently did some testing for magazine article on mini RDS mounted on pistol slide. Tested were Docter Sight III, Burris FastFire III, Leupold Deltapoint, Aimpoint Micro T1, Vortex Razor Red Dot. Unfortunately Trijicon distributor was unable to provide mounting solution for Glock 17, so I did not test it, only "fondled". My findings from this selection are:

High End: Aimpoint MicroT1/H1 or Vortex Razor (Aimpoint is big and heavy, but bulletproof; Vortex is solid piece of work as well).

Low End: Burris FastFire III (but not poor sight by any means, only not as bulletproof as Aimpoint or Vortex - actually winner of test when price factor considered).
    Montrala

I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Kahles, Hornady and Typhoon Defence brands in Poland, so I can be biased

http://montrala.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast