Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A few additions on my 14.5" mid build... new ambi bolt catch/release

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Can you post a link where they might be available?

Check Brownells. DPMS, Wilson make them, maybe some other mfg's.

There all a variation on a theme, an extended release that sticks down into the trigger area. Some have a pad, the one Hawkeye posted makes a 90 degree bend, and is skeletonized, but they're all pretty much the same.

Match rifle shooters used them so they wouldn't have to get out of position and could still single load long-setaed rounds. They typically use a sled design mag follower and rotate the weapon, drop a round in the chamber, and hit the release with their trigger finger, all the while remaining slung up. I'll dig out a link......

Sure Shot

Midway

Another Midway

ETA: Removed DPMS link because it's not the same design. It just had bigger pads, but you had to activate it from the port side.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmart View Post
    Check Brownells. DPMS, Wilson make them, maybe some other mfg's.

There all a variation on a theme, an extended release that sticks down into the trigger area. Some have a pad, the one Hawkeye posted makes a 90 degree bend, and is skeletonized, but they're all pretty much the same.

Match rifle shooters used them so they wouldn't have to get out of position and could still single load long-setaed rounds. They typically use a sled design mag follower and rotate the weapon, drop a round in the chamber, and hit the release with their trigger finger, all the while remaining slung up. I'll dig out a link......

Sure Shot

DPMS
    The first two differences I see, is that with those you have to put your index finger into the trigger guard to activate it, and that it doesnt allow you to lock the bolt open with the index finger. Travis' design does allow you to do that, and does not require the index finger to enter the trigger area.
    Protego quod vallo.
    Si vis pacem para bellum.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    The first two differences I see, is that with those you have to put your index finger into the trigger guard to activate it, and that it doesnt allow you to lock the bolt open with the index finger. Travis' design does allow you to do that, and does not require the index finger to enter the trigger area.

I see your point with the 90 degree bend, but I'm not understanding your comment about being able to lock the bolt open with your index finger. Again, they're all a variation on a theme.

Feedback Score
    With Travis design, you simply push up on the end of the lever with your index/trigger finger on the right hand side. You dont have to use your left hand in any way to lock the bolt to the rear or release it.
    Protego quod vallo.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    With Travis design, you simply push up on the end of the lever with your index/trigger finger on the right hand side. You dont have to use your left hand in any way to lock the bolt to the rear or release it.
    I don't see how pushing on any part of the lever in any direction activates the bolt hold open nub. Does it somehow lever the top of the release away from the reciever (instead of pushing the lower nub in, you are pulling the upper lever/pad out)?

I see how pushing it sideways levers the bolt release to release a bolt that's already locked back, in that manner it functions like the others I've posted links to.

Feedback Score
    Forgive the crappy quality on the pics. Just snapped these real quick with the camera here at work. I'll try to take some better ones from home.

Pushing UP, on the bottom of the arm, pulls the bolt catch away from the receiver locking the bolt back. Think in terms of arcs and leverage here.

Protego quod vallo.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it isn't so.

When you push up on the lever with your right hand finger in a shooting grip it locks the bolt back. When you push down, or in, with your right hand finger in a shooting grip it drops the bolt.

I kind of assumed that the products you linked to were what you were talking about. This widget is not the same thing. It allows a right-handed shooter to both drop the bolt AND lock it open without having to reach through the trigger guard.

If you look at Derek's picture again you should start to be able to see this. Perhaps we can persuade him to post an identically close-up picture of the reverse side of the rifle so you can understand it better.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    HAHA, love it!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek_Connor View Post
    Dang you. You stole my idea. Thats what I was planning on doing when I got home.
    Protego quod vallo.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast