Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Gov Shutdown: WWII Vets Denied Access to DC Open Memorials

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The site overlooking the D-Day invasion beaches is one of 24 U.S. military cemeteries overseas that have closed to visitors since Monday. Ten more cemeteries in in France, as well as others in various European countries as well as Mexico, Panama, Tunisia and the Philippines, will remain closed for the duration of the shutdown.

http://nypost.com/2013/10/02/govt-sh...s-of-normandy/

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by platoonDaddy View Post
    This is just pure bull shit, these are open air memorials! The administration had them reinstall the barracks following the 1st wave of vets hit the memorial Monday night!

New wave of WWII veterans move barricades to access DC memorial

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/02...s-dc-memorial/

Edit: The Obama Administration has decided to block access to public memorials on the National Mall as a result of the government shutdown. Like its decision to end White House tours when the sequester cuts took effect, there is no rational reason for this. The Park Police, nominally in charge of monitoring these spaces, isn't even effected by the shutdown. Shutting off access to these sites is gratuitous and petulant.
    http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...s-to-Memorials
    Question: With whom are they going to cite the offenders?

Question: These guys stormed islands, Normandy, Anzio and a half dozen other beachheads. Does the government really think a 2-lane street and a "Closed" sign will deter them?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    No...I don't think we are winning this. The Congressman kinda didn't help.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...226209781.html

Read the comments below. Sickening.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SPORTS are for Kids!...click*

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauser KAR98K View Post
    No...I don't think we are winning this. The Congressman kinda didn't help.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...226209781.html

Read the comments below. Sickening.
    I don't know about sickening, but what he did was wrong. Especially since he's still getting paid and all when many government employees are not.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand58742 View Post
    Especially since he's still getting paid and all when many government employees are not.
    As far as I know, all government employees are two weeks in the rear on their pay, therefore for the next two weeks they are good to go. At least that is my understanding.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brickboy240 View Post
    I fail to see where ANY PR person would tell Obama or the left that messing with the WWII vets is a great move.

Who the hell thought this was a great idea?

The optics on that one are really repulsive to most people I know.

-brickboy240
    Dorothy, wake up.

Obama's target audience is too busy watching Jerry Springer and talking on their Obamaphones to care about the fact that we fought a war for freedom over half a century ago.

In fact, I'd wager that this country is already so far into the toilet that a huge portion of the American public thinks the vets are the agitators.

I pray I'm wrong.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Meanwhile, Harry Reid is a despicable little man.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SPORTS are for Kids!...click*

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by platoonDaddy View Post
    As far as I know, all government employees are two weeks in the rear on their pay, therefore for the next two weeks they are good to go. At least that is my understanding.
    This is true, the pay on the 1st was for the previous two weeks of work. But they are on borrowed time now. And not entirely sure if the Park Police at the WWII Memorial are considered "essential personnel" or not. I know there are a lot of people that are working, but aren't getting paid right now.

But in reference to the Congressional pay, I was mistaken about the gentleman at the Memorial. He has asked his pay be withheld...not sure if it has taken or not. Anyway:

Members of Congress, meanwhile, still get their six-figure paychecks during a shutdown because the 27th Amendment prohibits any session of Congress from changing its own pay. To the members of Congress who have offered to give up their pay during the shutdown, Dougan suggests they donate their paychecks to the Federal Employees Education and Assistance Fund, a nonprofit that gives grants and no-interest loans to financially-strapped federal workers.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-...ing-selfishly/

And here's a list of the ones that have refused it so far:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...-the-shutdown/

Some of which already donate their salaries to charity. Many of which don't need the money to start with.

Dumpster fire. That's a good term to describe what's going on right now.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thumbs up

A tweet from Sen. Paul . . .

Senator Rand Paul ‏@SenRandPaul 2 Oct
    . @BarackObama sent 7 security guards to #WWIIMemorial this AM to keep out our vets. Sadly, that is 2 more than were present in Benghazi.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    A tweet from Sen. Paul . . .
    Snap, crackle, burnnnn

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast