Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MK 248 MOD 1

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BC98 View Post
    Not that it matters, but I believe Federal was awarded the Mk 248 Mod 1 contract, not Black Hills. Unless it was rebid in the last couple of years.
    Black Hills got the Mk248 Mod 1 contract. Federal got the Mk316

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk now Free

Feedback Score
    The chamber specs for the rifles call for SAAMI spec dimensions and SAAMI spec headspace for 300 Winchester Magnum. There is nothing special or unique about the rifle chambers the military uses.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eightmillimeter View Post
    Black Hills got the Mk248 Mod 1 contract. Federal got the Mk316

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk now Free
    Do you know when the contract was awarded our could you point me to a good source? There's an ATK press release from 2009 stating that Federal had won the contract so I'm curious.

Feedback Score
    U.S. Department of Defense
    Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense (Public Affairs)
    Contract

FOR RELEASE AT
    5 p.m. ET
    No. 404-09
    June 08, 2009

NAVY CONTRACT

Federal Cartridge Co., Anoka, Minn., is being awarded a $49,900,000 firm-fixed-price, indefinite-delivery/indefinite-quantity contract for 300 Winchester magnum ammunition. This ammunition will be used by U.S. forces engaged in combat and by the Navy in Match Team competition. Work will be performed in Anoka, Minn., and is expected to be completed Jun. 2014. Contract funds in the amount of $1,319,768 will expire at the end of the current fiscal year. This contract was competitively procured with multiple proposals solicited via the Federal Business Opportunities website, with one offer received. The Naval Surface Warfare Center Crane Division, Crane, Ind., is the contracting activity (N0016409-D-JQ56).

http://www.defense.gov/contracts/con...ontractid=4043

13--.300 WINCHESTER MAGNUM AMMUNITION
    Solicitation Number: N0016409RJN30
    Agency: Department of the Navy
    Office: Naval Sea Systems Command

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportun...&cck=1&au=&ck=

I'm retired with nothing to do and all day to do it, and its amazing what you can find when you know Google is your best friend.
    Meaning I did know the answer to your question until I Googled a few key words.

What I find "strange" is why didn't Remington or Winchester bid on the contract? ATK already has the very lucrative contract to produce ammunion at the Lake City Army Ammunition Plant. And General Dynamics Weapon Division owns the old Remington powder manufacturing plant in Canada and the Winchester powder plant in Florida. The world is changing faster than I can keep up with, and the old names I grew up with are biting the dust.
    Last edited by bigedp51; 10-11-13 at 11:31.

Feedback Score
    Silly me I was getting something confused. I know black hills is making one of the special purpose rounds but I cannot remember which one. Now I am thinking it is the 338 Lapua...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Chasing after that load doesn't make sense to me. The mil had to settle for that load to accomodate a wide range of guns. Better BC bullets can be used and tuned to your own rifle.

As far as brass life, I don't know what BH uses... but their regular red box 300 WM brass sucks balls. I got a few hundred rounds from a guy who shot some Blackwater sniper class and almost none of it would hold a primer with acceptable tension. Had to shit can all of it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I was looking over my notes on the 220 gr SMK in 300 and found an interesting (at least to me) WinMagial Factoid.

I tried these bullets with the EXACT same EVERYTHING... except brass.... two different brass kinds... Norma and RWS.

74.0 gr of H1000 in both... loaded on the same scale, during the same session. The Norma shot 2740 FPS SD 10, and the RWS shot 2818 FPS SD 12. 78 FPS pick up just on the lower case capacity of RWS. (24" 5R barrel BTW)
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12