Thread: Carbon wrapped barrels

Feedback Score

Carbon wrapped barrels

I am a novice with AR's and I was wondering if anyone has input on carbon wrapped barrels. I am having an upper built for me and it will have a 16" carbon wrapped barrel on it. From what I was told and read, the barrel will cool off faster than a normal barrel, will be a little more rigid (and hopefully accurate) and a little lighter than a normal barrel. The barrel is somewhat pricey but the seller is local and a good guy. Anyone out there with real world experience with these barrels? Any input would be appreciated.

Feedback Score
    You got a link to or picture of this barrel?
    -David

AR-15 owner/shooter since 1998

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Carbon fiber barrel maybe?

I think I saw some guy at the range dialing in his deer rifle with something like this, but I know nothing about the subject.

There was some carbon fiber barrel talk on TOS a few years ago, but I never really read about it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    -David

AR-15 owner/shooter since 1998

Feedback Score
    Christensen Arms comes to mind with thier carbon graphite barrels...they only do bolt guns though. http://www.christensenarms.com/

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    JTACH supply out of OK might be able to answer your question. I have talked to him before back when he built my 6.8 upper, and he seems to be a good guy, and he did a great job on my upper. I know that he has done atleast one carbon barrel because on this site if you go to the big bore rifles picture thread he has a carbon fiber .308 that is the pirst picture in the thread.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=74
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

"Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

One Big Ass Mistake America

Feedback Score
    The link that AMMOTECH supplied is exactly the one I was going to post. The barrel is from Advanced Barrel Systems. When I was at ABS, I got to handle a few of his barrels and that is what got me interested in them. I was originally going to purchase a LMT upper, but after seeing the ABS barrels I decided to have an upper built with one of the carbon wrapped barrels.

Feedback Score
    I have a build using one of ABS's barrels. you can see some really crappy pictures of it in this thread http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost....5&postcount=15

rifle is just under 4.5 lbs as pictured (including pmag and micro t-1). it would be under 4lbs if i swapped the stock out to the regular m4 style.

the barrel itself is 17" and with compensator is 13 oz. i believe most AR barrels are 2lb+

i like the barrel a lot
    i can confirm it cools quickly.
    i've no idea how i could objectively tell you it's more ridgid.
    i've never shot it off a bench, so i can't tell you how accurate it is other than to say it's accurate enough.