Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Filing/Smoothing M4 Cuts...

Feedback Score
    Not having M4 ramps can be problematic in SOME rifles. From what I hear, it can be more problematic in 6.8 builds, and that's what this is.
    We could debate the need for Milspec M4 ramps like Colt offers all day long, but I definitely prefer them on all my rifles.
    Thanks anyhow.

Feedback Score

Stoning Ramp Overhangs

Dremel makes some small diameter stones for shapening chain saw blades.
    These do not have any taper and are about 1-inch long. I do not use them in the dremel electric grinder as they can easily remove too much material "off-center."
    So I use them like a file mounted in a little handle with a little honing oil on the stones.
    Being careful this way by hand, you can better control removing just enough metal to give you a smooth transition by following the master angle already present in the barrel extension.
    I then take a felt bob to a belt sander and twill it against the belt until its a nice tight small diameter taper that fits the feed ramp well. Then I enbed this with Smicrhome Polish (see Brownells) and use this with the Dremel to polish.
    ColdBlue sends...
    (CB is David A. Lutz, Lt. Col. USMC (Ret'd) (1968-1991)
    Former (now retired) VP MilOps @ Knight's Armament Company (KAC) (1994-2012)
    "...if you can read this, thank a Teacher,
    if you are reading this in English, thank a Veteran..."

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I basically do what Coldblue does but I do use the Dremel. I just take my time.

Here's a thread dealing with one I fixed for a member of this site. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ighlight=ramps
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score

I

I used a rat tail file and go slow. I had to do this to shoot the flat tip ammo. It was haning up on the Stag upper( lefty )I used for my build. Works good now with all ammo.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123