Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question for AR Deer Hunters

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    All of you last few are right. As you can see I was trying to be more diplomatic but AR variants are carried in combat and there are no threads about concerns that one might shoot themselves while on maneuvers or in training.

Sling it and climb carefully Scoby. You're 1,000 times more likely to fall during the climb worrying about it.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I charge the weapon when I get out of the truck. I generally hunt out of a climbing stand, and I sling it on my back and start climbing.

Another thing I have found out is careful manipulation of the safety on an AR because if you have a deer close they will hear it and will usually run away.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Don't use a treestand???

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    You literally JUST climbed into your elevated stand. What could seem more unordinary to a deer than that? More than likely you made some noise while climbing as well. So, if climbing up there didn't scare anything away, then most likely nothing is in the vicinity. You should have a free moment to grab the CH, pull the bolt back slowly and ride it forward. Then use the forward assist to close it home. No stinkin problem. Seriously, it takes only a matter of seconds to allow you to sit quietly for hours and hours afterwards.

Remember to remove the mag and clear the chamber before climbing down.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Thanks for all the replies. However, I think some of you need work on your reading comprehension skills.

Although I think about the possible danger, however remote for myself, in climbing with a loaded weapon, I'm not overly concerned about it. Nowhere did I say I was although I was brought up not to do it.

Nor did I ask what possible options may be available to me. I know what the options and the dangers are. I've been deer hunting for 40 years.

What I asked is "Do you climb with the rifle already charged to avoid this racket?"

That's all. Pretty much a yes or no question. Just thought it would be interesting to see how many guys do it.

Didn't know Jackie Bushman and his men would be here to tell me how to do it! I'm such a lucky guy!
    Scoby

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”Thomas Jefferson, quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria in “On Crimes and Punishment”, 1764

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildawg2531 View Post
    Exactly. Almost 20 years of CCW and 7 years in the Marine Corps, lots of IDPA and gun games, years of hunting and ZERO AD's. But I follow a few basic rules (keeping the chamber empty isn't 1 of the ones I follow) and use my brain to assess the situation. Hunters safety courses and the ilk are dumbed down to lowest common denominator.

Maybe you should remember that not everyone, young or old, are fortunate enough to have family or friends to show them the ropes. Or have served time in the military.

Hunter education courses are important to these people and other people that happen to be sharing the woods with them.
    Scoby

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”Thomas Jefferson, quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria in “On Crimes and Punishment”, 1764

Feedback Score
    I've climbed many a deer stand with a loaded, on safe, rifle without incident.

I've also hunted a lot of quail with the safety off because when the covey flushes I need to be ready. Never hurt myself or anyone else.

Same as the above dove hunting too.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by matemike View Post
    You literally JUST climbed into your elevated stand. What could seem more unordinary to a deer than that? More than likely you made some noise while climbing as well. So, if climbing up there didn't scare anything away, then most likely nothing is in the vicinity. You should have a free moment to grab the CH, pull the bolt back slowly and ride it forward. Then use the forward assist to close it home. No stinkin problem. Seriously, it takes only a matter of seconds to allow you to sit quietly for hours and hours afterwards.

Remember to remove the mag and clear the chamber before climbing down.

Funny you should say this.

Just yesterday evening I took my daughter to a stand on a power line that crosses our property. We climbed in the stand and low and behold, a doe and her fawns were standing 60-70 yards away just down the hill from us. We never made a sound and they had no reason to evade.

Just so you know, I would never climb into a stand with any type of loaded gun with my daughter along. Never.

It's good she chose a bolt gun for this occasion.
    Scoby

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoby View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. However, I think some of you need work on your reading comprehension skills.

The fact that you started this thread was evidence you are concerned about the idea of climbing the tree loaded. Then there is the following:

Safety selectors can be disengaged while the AR is slinged or being pulled up. I've had it happen twice over the years while walking with my AR in a two point. Snagged on a seam on my jacket or something. Not sure. I pay very particular attention to that now.

I've always been taught that it is not safe and therefore not a good idea. You can see I always heed the advice of my hunting mentors.

Accidents are called accidents for a reason. I'm just curious as to how many take the chance.

Which seems to contradict your second to last post:

Although I think about the possible danger, however remote for myself, in climbing with a loaded weapon, I'm not overly concerned about it. Nowhere did I say I was...

If you read both you should be able to quickly determine that accusing us of reading comprehension issues was a mistake.
    Last edited by Safetyhit; 10-15-13 at 16:04.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Safetyhit View Post
    The fact that you started this thread was evidence you are concerned about the idea of climbing the tree loaded. Then there is the following:

Safety selectors can be disengaged while the AR is slinged or being pulled up. I've had it happen twice over the years while walking with my AR in a two point. Snagged on a seam on my jacket or something. Not sure. I pay very particular attention to that now.

I've always been taught that it is not safe and therefore not a good idea. You can see I always heed the advice of my hunting mentors.

Accidents are called accidents for a reason. I'm just curious as to how many take the chance.

Which seems to contradict your second to last post:

Although I think about the possible danger, however remote for myself, in climbing with a loaded weapon, I'm not overly concerned about it. Nowhere did I say I was...

If you read both you should be able to quickly determine that accusing us of reading comprehension issues was a mistake.

Safety was not the context of my post. Read the part of the OP that has the question mark at the end of it. Looks like this: ?

My question was whether or not you climb into a stand with a AR charged or not to avoid the racket.
    It was a question specific to the type of firearm and how a individual hunts with it. Not about safety.

Although someone could say...No, I do not climb with a loaded firearm. It is not safe. Fine. Safety is their first consideration and the hell with making noise. Perfectly good answer.

So I say, I don't like making all that noise on a hunt. So, safety is a secondary consideration for me at times.

Some of you are the ones who derailed this into a post about safety.
    Didn't intend for this to evolve into a pissing match.

And Safetyhit, if I make a mistake, it won't be my first nor likely my last. But not this time brother.
    Scoby

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast