Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Big Bore Carry...Moving to 45ACP

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    My suggestion would be to take the $750 you are going to spend on a new pistol and buy a reloading press, dies, powder, manual, tumbler, media, scale, brass, bullets, primers etc and just start reloading. Yes, you have an initial upfront investment but it will more than pay for itself in short time and cut your ammo cost by 50% plus.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Unkle Kurt View Post

My initial considerations are the G30S, M&P45c, and commander 1911 al la Ruger SR1911c.

I am open to other considerations under $750.

Please advise.
    To get back on topic I think either of those is a good choice, though I'd learn more towards the G30. It holds two more rounds than the M&P and shoots the 45 really well.

Other than those, I'd take a look at an HK USPc 45.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    The G30S is great and carries a tad heavier than the G19. It's also very accurate, and surprisingly soft shooting. For that price range it is your best bet. Also, if you do come up with a tad more to spend the HK USP 45 Compact, or the HK45 compact are some of the best .45's out there in any size. Only a couple hundred Benjamin's more. You should also try and go rent and put some rounds downrange before you commit to a buy.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Itzik View Post
    If I could carry only 10 rounds in a gun and only 10 round mag's as backup I would carry a 45 ACP.
    Yeah as long as you can shoot a .45 proficiently. Honestly, everything is secondary to what can you shoot proficiently and what the situation allows. Those two things should dictate what gun and caliber you carry. I think both .40 and .45 have an incremental advantage over 9mm, but if 9mm is the largest gun you can shoot proficiently, it doesn't matter if it's ten round mags or 30 round mags; 9mm should be the choice you make. And most people that I've seen don't shoot .40 or .45 very well. Not because they couldn't, but because they don't put enough rounds down range to learn to handle the additional recoil and or they choose a gun that's really two small for the larger calibers. IMO, despite all the talk of first shot speed and accuracy, if you can't get shots 2 and beyond off with a certain amount of speed and accuracy, shot 1 won't matter at all.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567