Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Entry precision rifle

Feedback Score

Entry precision rifle

I've been into every single type of shooting except precision shooting up to this point. I now have an itch that needs to be scratched.

Basically I want an "entry" precision rifle that I can build upon as I progress in this type of shooting.

I was thinking about a rem 700 or savage 110 to start with, in either .308 or .30'06.

Help my out PR forum.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Entry build

Consider one of Mel's builds at Sniper Central as an entry:

Howa: http://www.snipercentral.com/scrifle...ml?packageid=1

Remington: http://www.snipercentral.com/scrifle...ml?packageid=2

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    - - - - -
    Last edited by DTakas; 01-03-19 at 08:52.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    DTakes, who made that barrel and stock?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    - - - - -
    Last edited by DTakas; 01-03-19 at 08:52.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I agree that a 22 can be a good trainer. If you decide to go that route, consider the following, among others:

Savage MKII FV-SR

Savage MKII TRR-SR

Savage MKII TR

CZ 455 Varmint Precision Trainer

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I would definitely consider my rigs entry-level, but they shoot well!

Remington 700 Tac in .308, B&C 2958 stock, Tac-Pro cheek riser, Stocky's steel bottom metal, Timney trigger set to 2.9 lbs., SWFA 10X42 HD scope in Seekins low rings mounted on a Leupold Mk4 steel 15 MOA base, Harris bipod.

Federal 168 Match, 5 shots @ 100 yards;

Savage Mark ll FV with Clearidge Ultra RM 3-9X32 in Leupold PRW rings, Tac-Pro cheek rest;

EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    There are so many ways to go. I would definitely give strong consideration to one of Mel's starter packages posted earlier.

The general advice is to start with a Rem 700 in .308, maybe a B&C stock, and some decent glass. Go burn out that first barrel learning how to properly shoot. Then, when you send it off for a new barrel install at a good gunsmith, you can swap to a caliber that suits your needs better (if desired, you may find that .308 works just fine for what you do), get the action blueprinted and trued, install any aftermarket whizbangs you want, get a better stock (Manners, McMillan, or one of the chassis systems like AX, XLR, KRG, etc), get better glass, and go have fun.

If you want, start a second rifle using custom actions like Surgeon, Stiller, Defiance, or Badger to meet a different need.

There are, of course, other places to start besides Remington. I started with a Howa because it had a lot of the features I would have wanted installed on the Remington, flat bottom receiver and integrated recoil lug, but there aren't many people who work on them. Tikka is a decent starting place as well.

In any case, the rules are the same. Burn out that first barrel learning the rifle, and then start with the whizbangs.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Focus your money on the OPTICS, not the rifle. Trust me on this. If you can get something that has good glass, milliradian knobs/milliradian reticle, and is First Focal Plane (FFP). You're going to be a lot happier with the rig in the long run, especially once you start developing a decent grasp on the fundamentals and begin pushing the envelope of yourself and the rifle.

DO NOT buy a $1500 rifle and slap a $300 scope on it. You will regret it quickly. My first civilian precision bolt gun was a .308 Remmy SPS Tactical, topped with a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50. $500 rifle with a $1800 scope on it. The rifle did everything I asked of it, including .5 MOA groups with Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr loads at 100 yards. The only thing that is not too hot with the SPS is the Hogue stock. It will flex a lot when you properly load the bipod. If I were to do it all over again I would stick to the same rifle, but get a Vortex Viper PST, and some decent ring and base (Badger, Seekins, LaRue, EGW, Nightforce).

Don't forget about the other support items you will need to get started. At a minimum; the proper tools to install your scope and rings (read torque wrench), a Harris BRM-S bipod, Midway shooting mat, a rear bag, Kestrel anemometer, binos or better a spotting scope, match grade ammo, and Dewey coated cleaning rod and proper jigs/brushes with the necessary high end cleaning supplies.

Things you'll probably want to start saving to upgrade are the trigger (Timney, Jewell), stock (Manners, McMillen, AICS), bottom metal (Badger or Manners), and eventually barrel (too many to list).

Precision shooting is not cheap.
    Last edited by decodeddiesel; 09-01-13 at 12:01.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

22LR Trainer

I would agree on the 22lr trainer idea. You can accomplish everything for a fraction of the price.

Pro's
    1 They will not buck the wind like a big round. This teaches you how to make wind calls

2 They don't shoot very far. Teaches dialing in your elevation

3 Shooting @ 0-300 yards will make you use a kestral, rangefinder, ballistic program. Buy good the first time, you will use these for years.

4 buy a good scope, a viper pst is an excellent investment. buy once, cry once. These have very good resale value.

5 It's a fraction of the cost = more savings for that first custom rifle your dreaming of.

Now this is what I did:

I bought a Custom rifle 338 Lapua Mag; Stiller TAC 338 action, XLR chassis.

I have bought micro dies, bullets, brass(Lapua), powder, case trimmer(Giraud), factory ammo($118/20), spotting scope, terrapin range finder, primers, mags, boretech cleaning rods etc, and new rings. To all this and I need a bigger scope. The 3.5*15 NF is not enough.

Just to give you a ball park figure, all that's over 8K. I try not to think about it much atm. I got a good deal on the rifle for it being left hand action, but look at what I have spent this month and still need more stuff.

I highly recommend getting a 22lr and slapping a PST on her and shooting until you learn how to make a long shot every time. I do not believe you said anything about if you reloaded or not ???? It will end up being a MUST at some point. While you are shooting your 22, you can read up and see how to reload to make your big rifle shoot better. Most of the guys around here get a 6x47 lapua and drive it out to 1k or more. The guy that owns the guns hop here has a target with five hits on it at 1k the size of a half dollar. They shoot what they build.
    All this can be done for less than 2k dollars, so if you decide you do not like it, sell your support equipment and move on for a far more cheaper price. Shooting long range is not for the timid.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast