Thread: I need a trigger and cheek rest

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I need a trigger and cheek rest

My Remington 700 308 build is coming along and Im coming down to my last couple "needs". I went to the range today to sight in some ammo I recent bought (Southwest Ammunition Run-n-Gun 175 SMK).

The ammo seems to do well as I was shooting sub MOA when I did my part. But the problem is Im not doing my part. The heavy trigger has me yanking the shot right at the end. Im not yanking it to bad but I can definitely feel it and see it downrange.

I also noticed that when I had my Viper PST 6-24 on the higher powers I was getting some shadowing along the edges. Ive never noticed this because I normally shoot at 12x but I moved up to 24x to try grouping at 200 yards. I found that the scope is just a little to high. Im eventually going to replace my rings but for now I think Im going to get a cheek rest.

I was shooting off a bipod and rear bag (which needs to be replaced as well). Here are the groups I shot today:

Here is the rifle as it sits now:

C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    The Timney is a great trigger and easy to install. The karsten cheek riser is your best bet for that stock, but you may want to invest in a chassis to her overall better body fit and ergonomics at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Timney is definitely my thought on the trigger.

I'm also eventually going to be getting a chassis for it. I think it will probably be an AI as I've shot it before and liked it. Though some of the others do look nice.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    Timney is definitely my thought on the trigger.

I'm also eventually going to be getting a chassis for it. I think it will probably be an AI as I've shot it before and liked it. Though some of the others do look nice.
    The Karsten Cheek rest is also pretty easy to install and stays at the right height in the interim.

Add that, and (maybe a KRG slip over bolt knob) and I think you'd be in good shape until then.

Feedback Score
    stock pack and shim it...

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I have a rifle basix on my savage. Never tried a Timney but can't imagine it could be any better.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I tried a lace on cheek rest, then tried building up the top of the stock with foam and tape. Neither method helped that much and I feel it was a waste of time, money and aggravation.

I installed a Karsten cheek rest on my rifle and it was a good investment. It was easy to install and makes it much easier to get a consistent stockweld.

Buy some big spring loaded clamps to hold the cheekrest in position until you find the sweet spot on the buttstock. Then use the clamps to hold the cheekrest in position while you drill the bolt holes in the buttstock.

The clamps are inexpensive and can be found at most home improvement stores. I purchased the steel clamps.

http://www.besseytools.com/pdfs/sale...mpUS-lores.pdf
    Last edited by T2C; 10-26-13 at 07:04.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    another for the Timney. I have my 700 SPS set to 2.5#, much better trigger than stock. For a rear bag I use the BALS from SKD

http://www.skdtac.com/BALS-Mk-1-Gen-2-p/bal.502.htm