Thread: KMW Sentinel Stock review

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

KMW Sentinel Stock review

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=4916

KMW Sentinel Stock

The amazing thing about the firearms industry currently is the vast array of options a person has to modify his/her weapon to their tastes or preferences. This variety is not limited to the adult lego of the firearms world; the AR15, with the market of accessories and options for precision bolt action rifles growing rapidly. The biggest mistake I see many new shooters make with their first bolt action rifle purchase is making the assumption that all rifle stocks/ chassis will fit everyone. This is sadly not the case, each individual shooter’s length of pull, cheek structure, hand size, forearm length and a number of other factors play into each shooters fit to a stock. More often then not I watch online as shooters go from stock to chassis and back. Continuously buying and selling stocks until they finally settle on one that is comfortable for them and fits their shooting style.

Growing up in this sport on a Accuracy international chassis’d Remington 700 I was drawn to thumbhole type stocks, I find them easy to shoot weak or strong hand. They give me a similar grip angle to an AR15 with the vertical grip angle. Approximately 5-6 years ago I stumbled upon a picture of the KMW LRS Sentinel stock. You cannot mistake a Sentinel for any other stock on the market as their shape is as identifiable as a Accuracy International. Eventually finding my way behind one for some trigger time, I quickly realized how ergonomic and well it fit my shooting style. After some pinching of pennies and some conversations with George Gardner (owner of GA Precision Rifles), I had a 260 Remington rifle in a Sentinel stock of my own, shortly followed by a second in 6mm Creedmor as I realized how much I liked the stock.

Terry Cross and his company KMW Long Range Solutions are not new comers to the tactical precision market. Terry has been building rifles since 1987 and shooting competitively since 1978. Terry is also a reserve deputy for a local law enforcement agency, bringing this real world experience along with his competitive background into his rifle building and design. KMW is pretty much Terry and his tools, a one man shop. Every interaction I’ve ever had with Terry, whether it was an email to ask a question or talking at a rifle match has solidified my high respect for the man. You would be hard pressed to find a person more dedicated to the production of purpose built, extremely accurate, hard use weapons.The Sentinel stock was a 6 year project designed and developed by Terry with inputs from top competition shooters as well as Law Enforcement from departments across the country. The stock has received a small update bringing us to the Gen II version currently on the market.

“Approximately 3 years ago, the basic shape was refined slightly and the Gen II versions of this stock started to ship. There were several small changes made to the stock with the most visible being the smaller cheek piece with molded in groove on each side and the rear of the stock being molded in the exact shape needed to accompany the new L.O.P. system and pad I wanted but couldn’t achieve on the Gen I stocks.” - Terry Cross

KMW works with McMillan Fiberglass Stocks to produce the Sentinel in any number of colors and molded-in camo patterns. The raw stocks are made at McMillan and then shipped to KMW where all hardware and accessories are installed. This includes KMW’s Length of Pull (L.O.P) system and pad, the adjustable cheek piece hardware, the convertible bipod station hardware, the flush cup hardpoints and, if elected by the customer, the Integrated Mounting Block and/or MUNSter Night Vision Mount. Like the Accuracy International chassis/rifles the Sentinel is truly ambidextrous with all curves, grips and lines being exactly the same on both sides. The stock’s most obvious feature is the unique thumbhole design. The grips design is meant to be a compromise between the popular A5 style grip and the AI Chassis system to accommodate the widest range of users. For me I find the ambidextrous lines on both sides of the grip one of the best features allowing the same feel regardless of shooting weak or strong hand. The design and spacing of the grip in regards to the trigger allows the pad of my finger to fall exactly where it needs to be without having to rethink my grip or move my hand. My trigger squeeze is nice and consistent every time I grasp the rifle. The design and position of the grip in regards to the trigger, bolt handle and magazine is meant to make any operation intuitive while focusing efficiency of movement. KMW’s bottom metal and chassis system are specifically designed for use with the Sentinel stock, allowing the use of Accuracy International’s popular O.E.M. magazine (1 of which is included with each stock). The magazine release is found on the side of the bottom metal, easily accessible with trigger finger or offhand depending on your style of mag change.

Included in KMW’s design are some very unique features not regularly seen on most traditional stocks. The forend of the Sentinel is very low profile allowing the rifle to rest lower on barricades helping with recoil management when shooting supported. The forend is also molded specifically to fit Harris’s well knows S-Series bipods. Included with every stock is a billet sling attachment point as well as pic rail, giving you a wide array of options for bipod mounting. With the simple twist of a allen key you can change your from a sling swivel to a pic rail on the forend. This for me is nice because depending on what kind of shooting I am doing I can swap between my Atlas and Harris bipods fairly quickly and effortlessly. The angled portion before the magwell I also found very well designed and comfortable when shooting slung up offhand.

Every Sentinel stock includes other Terry Cross designed features such as his LoggerHead adjustable cheek piece hardware. It is never a good feeling to go to shoulder your rifle with a proper cheek weld and be staring at the back of your bolt or the bottom of your rings because your cheek piece had come loose. The hardware will not vibrate lose while shooting or transporting the gun, giving you peace of mind that you will always have proper sight picture. This hardware allows shooters to maintain their stock adjustments easily while removing and replacing the cheek piece as well.

All metal parts to the Sentinel are machined from 6061 Aluminum, 7075-T6 Aluminum and Stainless Steel. Every surface is matte black anodized and all stainless components are Chrome Sulphide treated for low visual signature and maximum wear resistance. Current SENTINEL stocks include new Gen II Limited Rotation flush mounted sling hard points in 5 locations along the stock allowing for any number of sling configurations. KMW L.O.P. Spacer System and Pachmayr D550 pad is standard on all stocks allowing for adjustment from 12.7" to 14.3". The average weight of a stock is around 5lbs plus or minus if you add a NV mount or the internal chassis system.

Terry went out of his way to not just replicate another standard stock with minor adjustments to call his own. The quality and attention to detail is evident in every Sentinel. The position of each key feature has been thoroughly thought out and as you get more and more time behind the gun you come to realize how truly well designed it is. He truly pioneered a unique and very practical stock design specifically addressing tactical precision shooting both for LEO/MIL and competitions. While not everyone will find a thumbhole stock to their liking, I highly suggest if possible getting behind a KMW Sentinel for a few rounds and see what you think. Terry has recently stopped taking in orders for full custom builds and now makes batches of guns built to his ever demanding tolerances in most popular calibers. KMW guns are regularly built off of Surgeon and Badger billet actions assuring the utmost quality. His stocks and rifles have built up quite a reputation within the tactical precision world so if you decide they are for you, be prepared to wait. In my opinion the wait is worth it, with already owning two sentinel stocked builds I will be restocking a couple other of my bolt guns as stocks become available.

For more info and to order visit: http://kmwlrs.com
    -Too many guns not enough time-
    2016 Rocking: Sig Sauer, Vortex Optics, GA Precision, MGM targets, MARS Armament, Inc., KMW Rifles, Mack Brothers, B&T Industries, Prime Ammo, Mile High Shooting Accessories, Gray Guns, Armageddon Gear, Rustick Knives, LLC.,Bartlein Barrels, CORE Shooting Solutions, Magpul.
    Contributing author on www.modernserviceweapons.com

Feedback Score
    Great review. I just acquired a sentinel and have found it to be wonderful.