Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: General Purpose rifle

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
    Accuracy International doesn't make magazines for 30/06 so I'm disinterested in it for this sort of rifle.

Right now I'm not sure if I'll use a Stiller action with AW magazines or a Winchester with AE magazines.
    I realize this post is a few months old now, and I don't know the status of the project. But for posterity sake, I had the same thought when I was looking into a similar project. The solution I found was that 300 WM magazines from AI can have the feed lips bent just a little bit and will work perfectly with 30-06. Brownells even sells a little jig to do it.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    The Mossberg MVP Patrol in 308 would be an excellent choice. Yea, its 308, BUT, it uses M1A and AR10 magazines. Customer/neighbor of mine bought one through me and we shot it out to 600 at my place(max I can get out to is 600). Its impressively accurate and he's using a Leupold Mark 4 2.5-8 ITMR on it with 175gr Federal Gold Metal Match feeding from M1A 20rd mags.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hey guys I just noticed this thread got active again.

I put the project on hold after my bro in law gave me a lower and LPK for a really good price. My GP rifle funds have now been used to build me a 20 inch A4 style rifle. I have a complete PSA lower and am in the process of buying a BCM A4 20 inch upper off TOS.

I have tweaked my plan a bit though over the last 6 or so months. Mostly I dropped the requirement of CRF. Ive never had a problem with my Remingtons and Savages in the past and while Id prefer a Winchester 70 Im not sure the increase in price is going to be worth it to me. I could damn near buy a SPS or ADL, get a new stock and have about half of my scope paid for for the price of a M70.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Ruger GSR. Or save for the Winchester, look around sometimes you can find a lightly used one. That way you can be proud of what you actually want, and have. So instead of adding all the whiz bang stuff on the AR, save and use for the Winchester.

Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    Hey guys I just noticed this thread got active again.

I put the project on hold after my bro in law gave me a lower and LPK for a really good price. My GP rifle funds have now been used to build me a 20 inch A4 style rifle. I have a complete PSA lower and am in the process of buying a BCM A4 20 inch upper off TOS.

I have tweaked my plan a bit though over the last 6 or so months. Mostly I dropped the requirement of CRF. Ive never had a problem with my Remingtons and Savages in the past and while Id prefer a Winchester 70 Im not sure the increase in price is going to be worth it to me. I could damn near buy a SPS or ADL, get a new stock and have about half of my scope paid for for the price of a M70.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jwfuhrman View Post
    The Mossberg MVP Patrol in 308 would be an excellent choice. Yea, its 308, BUT, it uses M1A and AR10 magazines. Customer/neighbor of mine bought one through me and we shot it out to 600 at my place(max I can get out to is 600). Its impressively accurate and he's using a Leupold Mark 4 2.5-8 ITMR on it with 175gr Federal Gold Metal Match feeding from M1A 20rd mags.
    held one today....looked great on the rack, in my hands, no thanks. Super sloppy bolt, like SLOPPY, in letting in stock was off around receiver, magazine system was neat, however do not expect "speed" to be a word used when changing mags. Also overall it just felt....clunky Very disappointed as i wanted to love the setup. Could still be of value, maybe i saw a dud, who knows.

Feedback Score
    Just passed a .30-06 Winchester 700 to the third (generation) owner. I'll never forget how happy i was when a 125 grain commercial load was announced. With weapon quality, and now the range of ammo cartridges and there differing weights and projectile type. The only way to go cost wise and efficiency and Americana is nearly NIB 700.
    For the future if you've blown your wad on other pieces.

Feedback Score
    For my all around "practical rifle" I chose a stainless Tikka T3 in 308. I cut the barrel to 20"s, and topped it with a 2.5-10 Nightforce in Talley lightweight rings. Then I added a Vtac 2 point sling for easy hands free carry in the field.

I use the very reliable 5 shot magazines from the varmint models. Two will fit nicely in a pouch I have on the side of my ruck. Usually though when big game hunting, I just use the one in the rifle and one spare in my pocket.

It's been a stellar rifle and has accounted for a good number of elk as well as mule deer.

It's a nice sized and balanced little rifle and a joy to carry in the field.
    THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

Feedback Score
    Check out page one on the sticky scout rifle thread for pics.
    THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Check out page one on the sticky scout rifle thread for pics.

I've seen it before. Awesome setup. Your rifle was actually one of the inspirations to build a "GP" rifle.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    Have you looked at the tikka t3? They are a whole lot of gun for not a lot of money.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast