Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My First KISS (Carbine)

Feedback Score

My First KISS (Carbine)

I wanted a simple carbine /KISS rifle for my first AR and came up with this for a low budget build.

PSA Premium Upper 5.56 blem, PSA Premium Mil Spec BCG chrome lined, MPI, Carpenter 158, shot peened bolt
    16" M4 1/7 Chrome lined barrel with Carbine gas system
    Midwest Industries SSG2 12 rail
    DD Irons (like these a lot)
    RRA stripped lower and std LPK (surprisingly very good trigger feel for the standard parts!)
    Hogue grip
    A2 stock,buffer
    MOE trigger guard
    Vickers VCAS sling
    Can of Paint. Might do more with the paint later.

Light and well balanced. She runs great on all kinds of cheap to heavy ammo. With decent groups for a cheap gun and old eyes. I think the Carbine gas system with the A2 rifle buffer system works really good. Total investment under $810.00 excluding mags and case. PSA makes some good budget stuff.

Feedback Score
    Looks good! Congrats!!!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Looks really handy. Congrats on your first build.

Feedback Score
    After some brief range time, I decided I would prefer a different grip. Something more vertical. The Hogue grip has too much rake and it is more difficult to keep my elbow down.

Feedback Score
    This would be my grip recommendation.

http://www.bravocompanymfg.com/gfg/
    Ambitious but rubbish

Feedback Score
    I'm still a big fan of the tangodown bg16

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by barber111 View Post
    very clean set-up.

Barber
    I love this rifle. It is a smooth shooter!

Resisting much temptation to hang a bunch of tactical gear on it. It is difficult but I will try.

I have a BCM Mod 3 grip and BCM Mod 3 Charging handle on the way.

....and so it starts.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Your build looks good. You'll really like your BCM grip and charging handle. Could you share with us why you chose the A2 rifle buffer tube vs a carbine buffer tube?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgs130 View Post
    Your build looks good. You'll really like your BCM grip and charging handle. Could you share with us why you chose the A2 rifle buffer tube vs a carbine buffer tube?
    I'm a firm believer in keeping it simple with fewer moving parts that could fail. My intent is not to have a full on battle carbine but I wanted a very simple and reliable SHTF rifle I can count on to quickly hit what I am aiming at.

It may not look as badass as an adjustable stock but I prefer the solid feel of a fixed stock. Also, the balance of the rifle is very good while maintaining a reasonable overall length and weight.

I feel the A2 rifle buffer works well with the carbine gas system compared to a friend's carbine buffer. I also think the spring length is an overlooked detail when comparing buffer system smoothness. I'm not an expert as this is my first AR, but I know what I feel and like.

I'm not sure I will stick with this stock as the length of pull is about 1" longer than optimal for my body frame. I may go with an A1 or VLTOR A5 unit to solve this while maintaining the A2 buffer feel.

Is a gun project ever done?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    How do you like the MI rail? Nice build, I am a fan of the KISS approach.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast