Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DD 11.5 barrel

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Picked up my DD 11.5" barrel from one of the common vendors. I see them occasionally but not often. I see the 10.3" more often as a barrel only.
    Last edited by msr; 10-25-13 at 17:32.

Feedback Score
    No issues at all with my DD MK18, with 2K+ down the pipe. Having said that, I prefer shooting the 12.5 Noveske NSR upper, as it seems to strike the best balance all around for an SBR for me. The extra rail space doesn't hurt either. I run both with an H2 buffer, blue springco action spring, and a Battle Comp. Both run like butter, and very reliable, but the edge goes to the 12.5 for my preference.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JG007 View Post
    isnt the only way to get it to order their complete 11" LEO AR or go through their custom build page?
    Rainier currently has DD 11.5 barrels in stock FWIW

https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sh...roduct_id=3107
    "There is no nice way to arrest a potentially dangerous, combative suspect. The police are our bodyguards; our hired fists, batons and guns. We pay them to do the dirty work of protecting us. The work we're too afraid, too unskilled, or too civilized to do ourselves. We expect them to keep the bad guys out of our businesses, out of our cars, out of our houses, and out of our faces. We just don't want to see how its done."
    -Charles H. Webb, Ph.D.

Feedback Score
    Why would the shorter barrels be over gassed? Is it simply that the hole drilled in the barrel is too large? My CMMG 10.3" barrel seems to be under gassed.

Feedback Score

Built (actually assembled) this for a friend using the DD 11.5 and it runs beautifully from round one. About 250 rounds so far snag free.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Thread resurrection.

It's been a couple of years.. how's the gas port on the 11.5? I never saw a solid answer on it in this thread.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I can't answer 11.5 but my 12.5 was definitely over gassed.

Something my contract work showed me was that you CAN NOT compare X port to Y port. There are absolutely differences in bore diameters that will make a .078" 12.5 feel like it's .085+. I am 100% confident that DD port numbers aren't exceptionally high, higher end, but not outright bad like other brands, but their bore is tight. I believe this is done on purpose for accuracy or just that their hammer forge mandrels are small/tight.

There is also definitely a difference between a mil Mk18 and their civ version. Which may explain why some people have no issue with DD stuff, and other people like myself know them to be over-gassed.

I will say this, it was a learning experience, and I unfortunately will not buy another DD barrel, and if I did, it would get an SLR gas block without question.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I had three of their 11.5" barrels 2 to 3 years ago. They were all over gassed. I don't know what their current gas port size is, but back then there were problems. There was a big thread on here about 18 months ago about it.

I had to install an H3 buffer and the guns still over ran the magazine. Same gun configured with a Colt 933 barrel shot side by side didn't have these problems.

Since that time, I haven't heard much about this issue. I think they might have made a bad batch of barrels with the incorrect gas port size.
    Last edited by scottryan; 03-02-15 at 18:54.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
    I can't answer 11.5 but my 12.5 was definitely over gassed.

Something my contract work showed me was that you CAN NOT compare X port to Y port. There are absolutely differences in bore diameters that will make a .078" 12.5 feel like it's .085+. I am 100% confident that DD port numbers aren't exceptionally high, higher end, but not outright bad like other brands, but their bore is tight. I believe this is done on purpose for accuracy or just that their hammer forge mandrels are small/tight.

There is also definitely a difference between a mil Mk18 and their civ version. Which may explain why some people have no issue with DD stuff, and other people like myself know them to be over-gassed.

I will say this, it was a learning experience, and I unfortunately will not buy another DD barrel, and if I did, it would get an SLR gas block without question.
    Am I crazy for wanting to put an adjustable gas block on any home-build, regardless of manufacturer?

It makes more sense to me to be able to tune it.

Is this over-complicating the simplicity of the AR?

Feedback Score
    I just ordered one of these barrels from ADCO, excited for it to come in.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast