Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Interesting .223 Federal Fusion Test

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    I want to make sure I'm reading this correctly. Are you saying alloys cannot be electroplated? Brass cannot be electroplated?
    I think RayJay is saying that the metal that is being deposited onto the bullet core or whatever is pure copper... Not a copper/tin allow.

Not that a gilding metal CAN'T be plated itself.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TY44934 View Post
    Wrong - you failed to explain that electroplating necesitates a plating of PURE COPPER. You can't plate on "gilding metal" because "gilding metal" is an alloy.

I don't think you understand the process of bullet making at all well.
    He understands it on a level you do not. You just say electroplating is not bonding, and fusion/gold dots are not bonded. When electro chemical bonding is one of many established bonding techniques.

Alloys can be plated that is not even debatable. What im looking for is where megademic stated anything about gilding metal. From his post he seems to have a good knowledge of bonding. It may not be lead and copper. Ty4394 what you have stated is just opinion, nothing of value.

Markm you may be right, but if you are it means he is reading a lot into it. Nobody even mentioned guilding metal. The comment was on the bonding, not what is being bonded to the lead core. Gilding metal used in jackets is copper and zinc which is 95-97% copper/3-5% zinc. Copper and zinc are both used in electroplating so I don't see how once you combine them the resulting gilding metal can not be used for plating.

It has been a few years since I took chemistry, but I know for a fact brass can be used for electroplating. So why not gilding metal? The are both copper and zinc. There are also multiple alloys used for electroplating.

Ty or rayjay as markm put it reminds me of all these people who have access to the internet that can spew all types of stupidity. Its like all the people online claiming there whindham AR is just as good as bcm, colt, and all the other quality manufacturers. The problem is these people think they know what they are talking about. You cant fix stupid.
    Last edited by jstone; 06-26-14 at 21:11.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jstone View Post
    He understands it on a level you do not. You just say electroplating is not bonding, and fusion/gold dots are not bonded. When electro chemical bonding is one of many established bonding techniques.

Alloys can be plated that is not even debatable. What im looking for is where megademic stated anything about gilding metal. From his post he seems to have a good knowledge of bonding. It may not be lead and copper. Ty4394 what you have stated is just opinion, nothing of value.

Markm you may be right, but if you are it means he is reading a lot into it. Nobody even mentioned guilding metal. The comment was on the bonding, not what is being bonded to the lead core. Gilding metal used in jackets is copper and zinc which is 95-97% copper/3-5% zinc. Copper and zinc are both used in electroplating so I don't see how once you combine them the resulting gilding metal can not be used for plating.

It has been a few years since I took chemistry, but I know for a fact brass can be used for electroplating. So why not gilding metal? The are both copper and zinc. There are also multiple alloys used for electroplating.

Ty or rayjay as markm put it reminds me of all these people who have access to the internet that can spew all types of stupidity. Its like all the people online claiming there whindham AR is just as good as bcm, colt, and all the other quality manufacturers. The problem is these people think they know what they are talking about. You cant fix stupid.
    This kind of attack on arfcom (from TY44934) was what ran Molon off. Sheesh.

Thank you for bringing clarity, Jstone.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    This kind of attack on arfcom (from TY44934) was what ran Molon off. Sheesh.

Thank you for bringing clarity, Jstone.
    Thats a shame molon is probably one of the community that has contributed so much and asked for nothing in return. Its sad that people with little to no education get to spout off on topics they know nothing about. If you simply google electroplating im sure you could learn everything you want to know.

My chemistry background is slim. Megademic definitely knows something about the process. Ty did not even offer any evidence why the fusion is not bonded. Im. Ot even sure if he knows what a diffusion layer is. The nosler 64bsb is welded to the core (albeit a good weld) welding can create one of the weeker bonds. It all depends on the welding material.

Internet privileges should be revoked if your found to be to ignorant to use. Then you would not lose people like molon. It seemed like I have not seen anything from him until lately.

Feedback Score
    I was wondering what happened to him. For the record, I have a ChemE degree and work with electroplating 5 days a week. We do electroplate alloys. We do not deal with lead.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    I was wondering what happened to him. For the record, I have a ChemE degree and work with electroplating 5 days a week. We do electroplate alloys. We do not deal with lead.
    So, what you're saying is that you might know a thing or two about electroplating?

Molon is active on Pistol-training dot com with Doc Roberts. They are both fairly active there now.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    So, what you're saying is that you might know a thing or two about electroplating?

Molon is active on Pistol-training dot com with Doc Roberts. They are both fairly active there now.
    No, I don't have a clue. Haha.

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I could tell you had a background in chem. Most people would just write sulphuric acid not give it molecular formula (h2so4).

Molon and doc also post on pistol forums as well.

The retardation present in most forums is ridiculous. I joined here after reading and watching for a couple years, because the bs was minimal. Now it seems to be getting worse.

Feedback Score
    deleted, getting off topic - going to pm....
    Last edited by MegademiC; 06-27-14 at 23:39.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Just an update, the "jacket" of the Gold Dot is pure copper.

This leads me to ask...

...back when the Barnes bullets were new (no grooves), they had bad fouling issues.

Have any departments/high round-count users noticed fouling/accuracy issues over time with the Gold Dots?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast